Author Topic: Pitt QB Transfer  (Read 25477 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt QB Transfer
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 02:23:44 PM »
go guins you nailed it, average, mediocre, both work when it comes to Strollo.  He also has allowed Rick Love to lead a pathetic marketing department for more than a decade.   What creative do we do on game day?   Love is overpaid, underachiever, Strollo allows this to happen.

Had Pelini not fallen into his lap, Strollo was determined to hire the head coach at E Ky, who got fired the next year there!
The sports marketing department must be the best rested department in the country.  I haven't seen them do/try anything new.  I'm seen more positive action from Calhoun in a couple months than the entire SMD in a decade. Frankly, it might have been better if Jarrod would have allowed his team to develop a bit before going all out.  Sometimes people tend to say "been there, done that" and not come back when we do get competitive.  But you can't blame somebody for trying, especially when Strollo and Love do so little to market the programs.   
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 03:01:04 PM »
Posted in another thread.  They are recruiting jucos hard for QB’s.  They are not satisfied with going in next year with Mays.  They are high on one of the kids we red shirted. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 03:06:39 PM »
Craycraft. Won't know more about him until spring ball. Hopefully he put some weight on.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 10:34:48 AM »
This team needs May, Collins and Craycraft to work & stay away from JUCOs; otherwise we will have another year of inocnsistencies up front. This is my opinion, unless we have lost one of those 3. I am worried about May's injury & no mentioning of it by any coach, or questioning by the media.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »
This team needs May, Collins and Craycraft to work & stay away from JUCOs; otherwise we will have another year of inocnsistencies up front. This is my opinion, unless we have lost one of those 3. I am worried about May's injury & no mentioning of it by any coach, or questioning by the media.
Doesn't matter about Mays injury, he can't play when healthy.  Answer at QB is Cunningham.  We desperately need JUCO transfers at OT.  If we don't get a couple tackles here, it doesn't matter if we have DeShaun Watson at QB, he is going to be laying on his butt most of the time!  We have -0- at OT. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 12:10:17 PM »
Like I said before, if Cunningham starts at QB next year, MVFC defenses will eat him alive. Herr is going to be the next LT. Rotheram or Wilson at RT.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »
go guins you nailed it, average, mediocre, both work when it comes to Strollo.  He also has allowed Rick Love to lead a pathetic marketing department for more than a decade.   What creative do we do on game day?   Love is overpaid, underachiever, Strollo allows this to happen.

Had Pelini not fallen into his lap, Strollo was determined to hire the head coach at E Ky, who got fired the next year there!

First of all, Strollo would never have the "actual" authority to drop Love, that is a decision that would go up to JT. As mentioned many times over, there is much in the way of a "good old boy" network still at YSU. So instead of attacking Strollo, why not attack JT? Tress hired him back in 1995 or 96 & still keeps him. So place blame where it belongs

Secondly, we are far from unanimous that Pelini was even a good hire & we know nothing about what could have been in place of the hiring of coach Bo ...so why comment as if you know something that you clearly could not have known unless you have sort of simulation-clarivoiannt powers that you are not telling us about. As to an opinion on Hood; everyone has one and for all we know they were talking to him about being a DC. None-the-less he would have been a person worth a try as HC ... good wining record, especially in conference, where we have always been the weakest. As far as I can see, in the period he was HC (2008 thru 2015) he had the best OVC winning percentage. Very skilled coach with a defensive style that would be very complimentary to Montgomery's offense, great connections & very close to many in Youngstown, especially the Stoops family. Would any of this make him a good coach? We have no idea. None the less, stop assuming Hood would have been a bad hire, when clearly he had a far better resume than coach Wolf & would be a nice addition to the recruiting staff in the southeast and lower Midwest parts of the country, as he spent almost 10-years as the DC at Wake Forest.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:42:18 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »

First of all, Strollo would never have the "actual" authority to drop Love, that is a decision that would go up to JT. As mentioned many times over, there is much in the way of a "good old boy" network still at YSU. So instead of attacking Strollo, why not attack JT? Tress hired him back in 1995 or 96 & still keeps him. So place blame where it belongs

Secondly, we are far from unanimous that Pelini was even a good hire & we know nothing about what could have been in place of the hiring of coach Bo ...so why comment as if you know something that you clearly could not have known unless you have sort of simulation-clarivoiannt powers that you are not telling us about. As to an opinion on Hood; everyone has one and for all we know they were talking to him about being a DC. None-the-less he would have been a person worth a try as HC ... good wining record, especially in conference, where we have always been the weakest. As far as I can see, in the period he was HC (2008 thru 2015) he had the best OVC winning percentage. Very skilled coach with a defensive style that would be very complimentary to Montgomery's offense, great connections & very close to many in Youngstown, especially the Stoops family. Would any of this make him a good coach? We have no idea. No the less, stop summing this would have been a bad hire, when clearly he had a far better resume than coach Wolf & would be a nice addition to the recruiting staff in the southeast and lower Midwest parts of the country.
You have great prospective on the sports history at YSU and I find conversations with you usually enjoyable, but when it comes to Strollo and his legacy of losing.  Tressel hired Strollo as Athletic Business Manager.  I assume he was good at that level.  He did NOT promote him to AD, Sweet did.  Everything good in athletics is all Strollo, anything bad, like Love is JT's even if Strollo hired him?  I agree Bo isn't the perfect coach but he beats the sh** out of that idiot Wolford that Strollo has on his resume.  You are blind when it comes to Strollo and I'm out. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 10:06:31 AM »
Trust in Bo.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »
I said that Tress hired Love. Tress wanted Strollo as his successor at AD and Sweet agreed ... as did anyone in the know at the time. Tressel knew that he (and Malmisar) did nothing but push football (and rightly so as it was the heart of our revenue stream) & there were so many things lurking "on the horizon" that needed to be taken care of ... and Strollo has done just that. Did football suffer? in many ways yes it did; but without all the new women's sports program we would not have a football team right now. Then to have a new MBB rebuild forced on him about 3-5 years too soon does not help.

I have no great love for Strollo, but to say he has a record of losing is not true. He is the AD, not the HC of every athletic team at YSU. Go ahead an say that you do not like the guy; but as with Monty, you have no performance reasons to do so. Both are exceptionally good at what they do. The AD has 3 duties in administering sports at any university:
1) Offer a quality product.
2) Offering a popular product
3) at a good price

Do any of you have any idea what is involved here? A winning team is not the only thing required to be a quality product. If YSU football was free, would the increase in attendance be worth it? NO. We would be non-scholarship and the quality would suffer greatly If we charge $48 per ticket for a football game would people go? I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT. Do you realize that every dollar that comes into the university (even through sports revenue) is scrutinized and claimed?  A popular product is not simply event attendance. It is having monies put into this event that will mean a possible reduction of monies for non-athletic purposes. Most university admin think nothing of sports and see them as nothing short of a necessary evil. They vote against every dime that the AD asks for.

Don't you think it is funny that some people say that Bo "fell into Strollo's lap", while in other posts give all the credit to JT? Makes no sense to me. Bo fell into the university's lap. Bo's agent called Tressel looking for work & JT (saying nothing) referred him to Strollo. It was a stand-up and professional thing for JT to do and Strollo simply did his job from there. There is really nothing else to it. It is the same thing with every other sport; when a coach is needed, the best candidate for the dollars is hired. As fans, we may wish to spend what ever it takes to get the top coach in the US, but that is simply not possible.

Only Bo's circumstances made him take a sub-$300k position and most of us can only guess as to what those circumstances are. It may interest many of you to know that Tressel became AD with the addition of a small stipend of less than $20k added to his annual salary. At the time he did not even make $100k as head-coach at YSU ...while other universities (at our level) where paying 50% to 100% more. It may further interest many of you to know that Narduzzi was rejected and ridiculed when he asked for a stadium. No one on the athletic board or academic council felt that a football team at YSU could generate enough revenue to afford more than the rent Falcon Stadium.

The moral of this story is to stop thinking that Strollo & Tressel do not know certain things and and are not doing the best that they can. Instead, as fans, we need to realize that they have to do best that they can given the resources available to them.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
Excellent historical reply 1 AA. As I remember the events from the hiring of Strollo you have hit it correctly. The many Strollo bashers really do not have a clue as to how an athletic department on our budget works. I applaud you to keep on. In talking to Strollo, he does not view this site. In visiting the site daily, I am so saddened at the criticism of our school and our athletic department. I am sometimes/many times amused at their lack of pride and enthusiasm for YSU athletics. If you visit "other board sites" the criticism is not there and the emphasis is on talking about present and future events. I wish we did more of that especially on recruiting, facilities, and scheduling. Many of my friends have quit looking at our site or even posting. However, I will continue to view till the nay people eventually go over the top in their criticism...........and the sadness is to much for me to deal with. Keep up the good work 1AA.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 02:23:21 PM »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 03:07:31 PM »
He makes it official... Let's see what happens.

http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/13064665-74/third-string-pitt-qb-thomas-macvittie-to-transfer
Although Chief says: "I'll take him or any other QB over the ones we have on this roster."  I'm not so quick on the trigger.  This kid was #4 at Pitt and Hunter Wells was clearly better than Browne, the #1 when we played them.  Therefore, it is reasonable to say he is 5 steps below Hunter Wells.  At this point, i have Mays 4 steps down, and we'll have to wait to see where Craycraft and Cunningham are.  Certainly this kid is NOTHING near to his recruiting reputation.   Certainly the season will turn on what should be a solid D, the transfer OTs, and the TB Chapman.  If it comes down to passing, we'll need more Valpo's and Butler's on the schedule!

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 03:20:07 PM »

http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/13064665-74/third-string-pitt-qb-thomas-macvittie-to-transfer
Although Chief says: "I'll take him or any other QB over the ones we have on this roster."  I'm not so quick on the trigger.  This kid was #4 at Pitt and Hunter Wells was clearly better than Browne, the #1 when we played them.  Therefore, it is reasonable to say he is 5 steps below Hunter Wells.  At this point, i have Mays 4 steps down, and we'll have to wait to see where Craycraft and Cunningham are.  Certainly this kid is NOTHING near to his recruiting reputation.   Certainly the season will turn on what should be a solid D, the transfer OTs, and the TB Chapman.  If it comes down to passing, we'll need more Valpo's and Butler's on the schedule!

What transfer OT’s

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 03:35:02 PM »

What transfer OT’s
According to chief, we have 1 so far:

"Another commit.

OL Devon Robinson from Monroe College. 6-6, 280 pounds. Had offers from Temple, Miami, Rutgers, Illinois coming out of high school in NJ."

We need more, but this is a start.  What we have coming back just isn't much.