Author Topic: YSU vs South Dakota  (Read 6111 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs South Dakota
« on: November 26, 2017, 01:00:28 PM »
3 pm broadcast  sports time Ohio.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 01:05:20 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs South Dakota
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 03:50:20 PM »
We're only down 45-24 at half.  Time to watch the Buckeyes.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 04:37:59 PM »
This year is a wash.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:48:49 PM »
I don't see this team winning more than 2 games against Division 1 teams. Maybe some miracle will take place - but I doubt it. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
Anyone who thought the team would be successful this year was mistaken. You have 3/4 of the roster who have never played D1 basketball and you're basically playing with 1 PG who's really a backup because Santiago is so banged up.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 08:41:28 AM »
  When I posted months ago that the YSU Men's Basketball coaching job is very similar to being the football coach at Indiana State, most on here were offended, but I think I am right.   This is one difficult job, there is no tradition or history of success at the D-1 level.  We don't have a lot of D-1 talent in our Mahoning Valley, the good talent in Akron, Kent, and Cleveland who can't play in the Big 10 will opt for Kent and Akron over YSU all the time.

When you think of YSU, you think of us being a football school, much like Indiana St is a basketball school.  I think Coach Calhoun brings enthusiasm and much needed energy; but is he a better coach that Peters, Robic, and/or Slocum?  Only time will tell.  But there is the possibility that this is a dead end job, that is reality. 

Our facilities are below average, that also is a factor in recruiting.   

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 09:33:47 AM »
  When I posted months ago that the YSU Men's Basketball coaching job is very similar to being the football coach at Indiana State, most on here were offended, but I think I am right.   This is one difficult job, there is no tradition or history of success at the D-1 level.  We don't have a lot of D-1 talent in our Mahoning Valley, the good talent in Akron, Kent, and Cleveland who can't play in the Big 10 will opt for Kent and Akron over YSU all the time.

When you think of YSU, you think of us being a football school, much like Indiana St is a basketball school.  I think Coach Calhoun brings enthusiasm and much needed energy; but is he a better coach that Peters, Robic, and/or Slocum?  Only time will tell.  But there is the possibility that this is a dead end job, that is reality. 

Our facilities are below average, that also is a factor in recruiting.
Woe is me!
Doom and gloom!
Poor old YSU can't compete, and there is nothing that can be done.
Yes we don't have enough D-1 players.  Yes the facility is "tired".  Yes Calhoun has not done anything as a D-1 head coach.  BUT, you don't see a ton of better athletes being recruited?  Don't you see him playing a bunch of money games to they can begin to work on new seats etc?  Don't you see his success at Fairmont State?  That wasn't an historic powerhouse, nor was it a hotbed of local talent.  This guy can recruit, he can coach and he will win.  We note your nothing will work for MBB at YSU, now you can mark MY words on this.  Oh yes we can turn this around!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »
I guess giving up over 100 to Niagara in that little talked about scrimmage was a really bad sign.

I knew there would be struggles, but I really didn't envision not being competitive in these early non-conference games.  I realize there are a lot of guys that haven't played D1 basketball, but we have 5 guys that played significant time last year.  The only D1 game we've really been competitive in from start to finish was the So. Miss game.  Other than Kent St. & South Dakota, most of these other teams we've lost to have their issues as well.

We've already had 3 20+ losses with DePaul, Butler & Indiana all coming up.  Last year there were a total of 4 20+ losses & 2 of those were Michigan State & Ohio State by 20 along with Jacksonville & Oakland.   

I'm sure there's a lot of sleepless nights for Coach Calhoun, but I have faith he'll make this work.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 04:20:33 PM »
I'm going to support these guys always.  As long as they keep working hard I'll be behind them.

Last night commentator made the point that we need some shooters in the program and he right that we don't have that spot up type 3 point shooter.  He also mentioned he respected coaches honesty from watching post game videos.  He seemed to feel that the program as we no is a work in progress but we have the right man.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 06:58:51 PM »
I'm going to support these guys always.  As long as they keep working hard I'll be behind them.

Last night commentator made the point that we need some shooters in the program and he right that we don't have that spot up type 3 point shooter.  He also mentioned he respected coaches honesty from watching post game videos.  He seemed to feel that the program as we no is a work in progress but we have the right man.
The only reliable 3 point shooter is Cam. Not only we don't have another 3 point shooter, we also don't even have mid-range shooters. I could not remember many 10-15 foot jump shots taken so far. We either got the ball down low (but missing most shots) or drove to the hoop (but missing the layups) instead of doing pull up jump shot or step back jump shots.
Westminster was doing a lot more of mid-range jump shots or even making couple of hook shots.

I really don't know if they even have a team offensive game plan beside everyone was doing their own thing.

Right now, they are not playing as a team.
I am sure the coaches are trying teaching them how to play as a team. The players currently are not learning. If they have learned, they are not showing it.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 09:04:02 PM »
Let's remember how many players are Calhoun's. We cannot be blaming this on the former coach (especially since our two best players are his recruits) hoping for new types of players, when we do not like what coach C has already brought to the program. We need to respect the new staff and players and look at what we have to improve.