Author Topic: Westminster Titans  (Read 7060 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Westminster Titans
« on: November 21, 2017, 06:44:49 PM »
They're 3-0.    Hopefully we will treat them in Genghis Khan fashion.

We need this game for the young guys to get better. Hopefully we will get some momentum For the South Dakota Tournament.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Westminster Titans
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:55:25 PM »
They're 3-0.    Hopefully we will treat them in Genghis Khan fashion.

We need this game for the young guys to get better. Hopefully we will get some momentum For the South Dakota Tournament.

If I were the Titans, I will work on two things...1. back door cut....2. put them on the foul line!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
not a good first half.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 08:24:35 PM »
Wow we stink.  Hopefully it get better. Not the start of season I ever thought

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 09:13:46 PM »
Tip of the hat to Westminster,you guys were smarter and tougher and would have won at your place.

1. Can some one please explain what kind of offense we are running.  I'm not being cynical,maybe a little dense.

2. Not good having a 6'4" post player taking it to us. We are soft in the post.

3.Some of the frosh need less minutes except Garrett Covington.

4. Would like to see the best players on the floor getting a little more time as a cohesive unit rather than the massive substitutions.

5. Garrett Covington might be the 2nd best Covingtonto ever play at YSU.  seriously,he might be our best on ball defender and he has surpassed my expectations.  He's playing so far beyond his youth.

6. On to South Dakota !  Hopefully we can get a win or two.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 09:17:11 PM »
Can u imagine the scores against IU and Butler if they attempt to press and trap? Calhouns system/style or not u must do what gives the team the best chance of winning.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »
The press is not working. Not sure why. There's no jumping of the passing lanes or anything like that. No real hustle. Lucky to get a W tonight.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 11:07:07 PM »
Tip of the hat to Westminster,you guys were smarter and tougher and would have won at your place.

1. Can some one please explain what kind of offense we are running.  I'm not being cynical,maybe a little dense.

2. Not good having a 6'4" post player taking it to us. We are soft in the post.

3.Some of the frosh need less minutes except Garrett Covington.

4. Would like to see the best players on the floor getting a little more time as a cohesive unit rather than the massive substitutions.

5. Garrett Covington might be the 2nd best Covingtonto ever play at YSU.  seriously,he might be our best on ball defender and he has surpassed my expectations.  He's playing so far beyond his youth.

6. On to South Dakota !  Hopefully we can get a win or two.

This really sums up my thoughts. 

Westminster definitely came prepared, played harder & wanted it more until YSU wore them down in the 2nd half.  Got to give them a lot of credit.  They are going to win a lot of games this year.  They didn't look like a Div III school. 

Nice to see Strollo knock down all 3 3's.  Thought Cam looked better tonight & hopefully with Ferguson coming back that will get Cam going.  Covington has really impressed me.  He really gets after it and puts in 100%.  Was scary how Braun landed on his ankle in the 2nd half- was surprised he came back in.  YSU came into the game shooting 57% at the line and shot right at 57%- definitely disappointing.  I missed the bickering on the bench Coach Calhoun alluded to doing the post-game interview, but I guess it's not surprising how it was going toward the end of the 1st half.  It looked like during that stretch YSU was just going through the motions.

Until YSU can figure out the defense, I'm not sure how many games we're going to win.  Really should have been able to force a lot more turnovers with the full court pressing.  Way too many easy baskets again.  I feel like the talent is there that's what has to be concerning for the coaching. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 08:43:26 AM »
Man I love Calhoun lol. Listen to all of this. Love the comment about getting the disease of losing out of the program!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFtGQgqwuRo

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 08:54:01 AM »
Man I love Calhoun lol. Listen to all of this. Love the comment about getting the disease of losing out of the program!

Everybody should listen to this.  This guy knows what he is doing.  He is INCREDIBILITY candid.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 04:48:31 PM »

Everybody should listen to this.  This guy knows what he is doing.  He is INCREDIBILITY candid.

Coach said some interesting things.   

-Said team lacks toughness
-There was bickering on the bench
-praised Garrett Covington.  Garrett works hard in practice and doesn't 2nd guess the coaches.

Who ever the players are that are running their mouths better shut up and start buying into what the coaches are trying to implement.  Tyree Robinson seems to be a tough guy but he's not getting minutes and we need him.  I hope he's listening to the coaches and bringing his lunch pale to practice.   Long season to go.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 06:51:47 PM »
Like he said, Santiago is hurt and can't play full minutes. Hartfield is just coming into his own and then you have a bunch of new players that have never played D1 basketball other than Cam. It's hard to change the mentality of a program when all they're used to is sucking. It won't be this year.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 07:34:30 PM »

Coach said some interesting things.   

-Said team lacks toughness
-There was bickering on the bench
-praised Garrett Covington.  Garrett works hard in practice and doesn't 2nd guess the coaches.

Who ever the players are that are running their mouths better shut up and start buying into what the coaches are trying to implement.  Tyree Robinson seems to be a tough guy but he's not getting minutes and we need him.  I hope he's listening to the coaches and bringing his lunch pale to practice.   Long season to go.

I watched it on YouTube. Coach apparently knew which are players he could count on going forward.

IMO, Some of the players currently do not have the defensive skill to guard people down low.

As I said before, many of them thought they were playing in the NBA all star game.... Trying to show off their one on one offensive skill while playing no defense. They took 3 point shot early in the clock or drove to the basket with fancy spin move and could not finish. There was a play in the last game where they must have gotten 4 offensive rebounds and missed all the put backs.

I am sure tha coach will find 8 or 9 players to play team defense and team offense. If the rest of them could not buy into the coach's system, they would not be around next year.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 07:04:35 PM »
The press seems to tire out YSU rather than the other team.  When you are tired the arms become heavy which affects your shot
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:05:50 PM by YSU1 »