Author Topic: 2018 Bo's last season?  (Read 16118 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
2018 Bo's last season?
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:37:35 AM »
Is the upcoming 2018 season Bo's last at YSU?  His Nebraska contract expires in Feb. 2019 and his income would go from 150,000 to something like 22,000 per month.  I know, money isn't everything, and that's what a ton of guys say, before they take the money every time!  Somebody will bring up his daughter and Cardinal Mooney, but the family could stay until she graduates.
Bo has value in the market, no doubt.  Nebraska was 27-22 before Bo, 67-27 with him (and never less than 9 wins in a season) and now 19-18 after him.  Change the president at Nebraska and even they would want him back!
My choice as a replacement?  Carl!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Bo's last season?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 12:25:25 PM »
Is the upcoming 2018 season Bo's last at YSU?  His Nebraska contract expires in Feb. 2019 and his income would go from 150,000 to something like 22,000 per month.  I know, money isn't everything, and that's what a ton of guys say, before they take the money every time!  Somebody will bring up his daughter and Cardinal Mooney, but the family could stay until she graduates.
Bo has value in the market, no doubt.  Nebraska was 27-22 before Bo, 67-27 with him (and never less than 9 wins in a season) and now 19-18 after him.  Change the president at Nebraska and even they would want him back!
Bo had good following in Nebraska. With the AD (who orchestrated Bo's departure) being fried, they might want him back. I just don't think Bo wants to go back. There are few BIG teams which should need new coach: Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland and Rutgers.

Carl is a reasonable choice. Just to get some board members worked up, how about Shane?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:41:18 PM »
Bo had good following in Nebraska. With the AD (who orchestrated Bo's departure) being fried, they might want him back. I just don't think Bo wants to go back. There are few BIG teams which should need new coach: Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland and Rutgers.

Carl is a reasonable choice. Just to get some board members worked up, how about Shane?
Good shot ET, I was going to list Shane just for the same reason as you!  They'll bite, don't worry.  Same as the Strollo crowd HAS to defend his indefensible performance.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 02:00:22 PM »
 You are all delusional if you think Carl Pelini will ever be a head coach again.  if not for Bo, he would be unemployed.  Sleeping with co-eds, allegedly, and doing drugs with co-eds, allegedly, is a career ending move for a college football coach, unless your brother is a head a coach.

Shane was a disaster as a head coach at Miami.  Jim Tressel is a smart man, he wouldn't turn over the program to either.   Also, Bo has failed to make the playoffs in 2 of this 3 seasons here, if next year is not a playoff season, what makes you think he is marketable?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 03:06:31 PM »
You are all delusional if you think Carl Pelini will ever be a head coach again.  if not for Bo, he would be unemployed.  Sleeping with co-eds, allegedly, and doing drugs with co-eds, allegedly, is a career ending move for a college football coach, unless your brother is a head a coach.

Shane was a disaster as a head coach at Miami.  Jim Tressel is a smart man, he wouldn't turn over the program to either.   Also, Bo has failed to make the playoffs in 2 of this 3 seasons here, if next year is not a playoff season, what makes you think he is marketable?

He's marketable.  Look at the Nebraska record before, during, and after Bo.  Look at the YSU record for 10 years before Bo and during Bo.  Look at Bo's coaching tree.  The problem is we are paying next to nothing and we could get outbid by X2 by every single 1A school in the country, and because of the math, just about half of them have losing records.  Several making 1,000,000+ have losing records. 
If Carl goes with Bo, then it looks like Shane all the way!  GO Monty!!

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »
Bo can go to a major university as a D coordinator and make 4-5 times what we pay him. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 03:32:08 PM »
Bo can go to a major university as a D coordinator and make 4-5 times what we pay him.
More like double with only the top 3-5 making 3x what we pay Bo, but your point is taken.

You ask if Bo is marketable?  Cinn. is paying that IDIOT Luke Fickel 2 MILLION to go 3-8, beating only Austin Peay, Miami of OH and Tulane, with loses to traditional powers like Temple and East Carolina.

Somebody is going to have to figure something out or its Monty all the way!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »
I always thought Bo would head back to the NFL maybe once his kids are all graduated.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 05:59:19 PM »
Agree on Bo and the NFL, but it would have to be a very high position, like DC ...or else it is a very short career move and Bo may not want this. Shane great choice, he will never take it, already turned it down. No possible way on Carl, as 1990 pointed out his flaws; although Bo has pull and Carl has talent. If we lose Carl & we already set the FAU precedent with him, I still say go after Retskis at Rhode Island for DC.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:00:22 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 09:49:26 PM »
Monty ???? Hahahahaha

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 07:04:23 AM »
What's Mangino doing these days. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 08:37:07 AM »
What's Mangino doing these days.
He appears to be retired.  Guy is a "bit" of a lose cannon, but he can coach football!
On the lose cannon topic.  Anybody notice the mellowing on the sideline and interview room of Pelini over the last couple years?  He came in as the firebrand we knew from Nebraska, yelling at refs etc. but I don't recall one instance this whole season.  Tressel influence?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
Nobody on this staff should be a head coach besides Bo. We'll see what unfolds as the years go on. Let's focus on the off season and next year.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 09:32:22 AM »
OK, next year:
Next season comes down to Jayden Cunningham and Braxton Chapman.  If they can play as freshman (Chapman will be a redshirt freshman) then we should be pretty good.  If not, we are going to be rebuilding.  Spencer will be missed on the OL, but overall the group was a disappointment and so we shouldn't have any drop off with a couple new guys, maybe even see improvement.  D should be pretty good.  Smith and Reed to anchor the line, Armand the LB and Gibson, Smalls and Hegedus as DB's might be our best is many years.  For me, with Chapman and McCaster at RB, I'd move Turner to the slot.  He is a proven receiver and can move in the open field.  I'd figure a way to keep him on the field and get him the ball in space.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 12:28:30 PM »
The Kent State job just opened