Author Topic: 2018 Bo's last season?  (Read 16161 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: 2018 Bo's last season?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 03:40:52 PM »
I am glad you feel that confident in the defense, but do not share the same confidence. Football is a numbers game to me & that may be very old-fashioned; however I see the following:

Goals for an offense (per drive):
1. Score a TD = 7
2. Score a field-goal = 3
3. Punt or put the ball as close to your end-zone as possible.

Goals for a defense (per drive):
1. Get the ball as close to your end-zone as possible.
2. Allow your opponent to Score a field-goal = 3
3. Allow your opponent to Score a TD = 7

So basically if we continue with accepting scores on defense, we have to be always scoring on offense. The team fails to do this will lose. The goal for my offense is to score a TD every time they have the ball & the goal of my defense is to never allow a score. Jim Tressel said that he would rather win a game 3-0, than 33-30 ...therefore he is defensive-minded. I am the same. I want my offense to score each time they get the ball, but it is really only required to score enough to win the game. So, this is where time-of-possession is key. If you can have long-drives on offense, your opponent will have less opportunities to score

I like shut-down defense and long drawn-out run-based offense. If my offense can produce 2 or 3 scores, I expect to win that game. Chief, you expect your offenses to produce 51-points as you think an offense should score 50 in a given game. You like high-powered offenses that can score enough to beat a team that scores more than 2 or 3 times a game.

You like the NFL and I like small-college ball. LOL I have not watched an NFL game in years.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 03:52:08 PM »
I am glad you feel that confident in the defense, but do not share the same confidence. Football is a numbers game to me & that may be very old-fashioned; however I see the following:

1. Score a TD = 7

So basically if we continue with accepting scores on defense, we have to be always scoring on offense. The team fails to do this will lose. The goal for my offense is to score a TD every time they have the ball & the goal of my defense is to never allow a score. Jim Tressel said that he would rather win a game 3-0, than 33-30 ...therefore he is defensive-minded. I am the same. I want my offense to score each time they get the ball, but it is really only required to score enough to win the game. So, this is where time-of-possession is key. If you can have long-drives on offense, your opponent will have less opportunities to score

I like shut-down defense and long drawn-out run-based offense. If my offense can produce 2 or 3 scores, I expect to win that game. Chief, you expect your offenses to produce 51-points as you think an offense should score 50 in a given game. You like high-powered offenses that can score enough to beat a team that scores more than 2 or 3 times a game.

You like the NFL and I like small-college ball. LOL I have not watched an NFL game in years.

The college game has changed thanks to the spread offense. Have to be able to score points. Defenses are going to give up points. Just how it is.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2017, 05:00:38 PM »

1. Score a TD = 7

The college game has changed thanks to the spread offense. Have to be able to score points. Defenses are going to give up points. Just how it is.

IMO: What you are really saying is defenses have not kept up with offenses and I agree at the pro level and even upper tier college. Very unfortunate. As we continue to change rules to try and keep the flow of the game, things will only get worse.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2017, 08:28:10 PM »
Reading some of these posts right now...

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 07:15:31 AM »

1. Score a TD = 7

I disagree with the defensive scenario.  I think the goals are

1. Take the ball away
2. Stop them from scoring
3. improve field position
4. Score if you can

NDSU has this type of defensive mind set with their Tampa 2 defense. 

We have given up big plays because we leave our corners on an island and we bring the safeties down to blitz often.

Most of the teams we face put their best players on offense, except NDSU.  You are not factoring that in.  The only thing that spread offenses have affected is speed and size of LB's, the number of people needed in the secondary, and the fact that you can put a boob in at QB and he can distribute the ball without having to read a defense.  Otherwise nothing has really changed..  Montgomery's offense is not cutting edge
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:18:32 AM by penguinpower »