Author Topic: 2018 Bo's last season?  (Read 16111 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Bo's last season?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 01:25:40 PM »
The Kent State job just opened

And ? Bo is only leaving for a high profile job in college or the NFL. Hopefully Kent hires Monty.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »
I do expect that you will see a former Guin in line for that Kent job. I cannot say that he will get it though.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 02:08:33 PM »
What's Mangino doing these days.
He appears to be retired.  Guy is a "bit" of a lose cannon, but he can coach football!
On the lose cannon topic.  Anybody notice the mellowing on the sideline and interview room of Pelini over the last couple years?  He came in as the firebrand we knew from Nebraska, yelling at refs etc. but I don't recall one instance this whole season.  Tressel influence?

No he had Ron Strollo on the sidelines to observe for a while. Heck Bo knocked the headset of an assistant about mid-season. He looks and sounds the same to me. :)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 02:54:58 PM »
What's Mangino doing these days.
He appears to be retired.  Guy is a "bit" of a lose cannon, but he can coach football!
On the lose cannon topic.  Anybody notice the mellowing on the sideline and interview room of Pelini over the last couple years?  He came in as the firebrand we knew from Nebraska, yelling at refs etc. but I don't recall one instance this whole season.  Tressel influence?

No he had Ron Strollo on the sidelines to observe for a while. Heck Bo knocked the headset of an assistant about mid-season. He looks and sounds the same to me. :)
I guess I wasn't specific.  I meant Bo Pelini.  You must have been watching some Columbus HS coach named Bo. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
Heard a rumor from a reliable source that Robert Morris has interest in SM as a head coach.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 01:00:41 PM »
Heard a rumor from a reliable source that Robert Morris has interest in SM as a head coach.

Heard they same. Not sure he would be interested.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 02:57:50 PM »
Bo is quite happy here.  Shane is not going anywhere.  We are hitting the juco colleges hard for a QB.  I know they are high on one of the kids we red shirted last year.  They are not satisfied going in next year with Mays
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »
Bo is quite happy here.  Shane is not going anywhere.  We are hitting the juco colleges hard for a QB.  I know they are high on one of the kids we red shirted last year.  They are not satisfied going in next year with Mays
I drive in to work every day for 2 weeks listening to ESPN talk about this opening and that opening and who is going to take this and who is going there.  Good jobs like Oregon, Texas A&M Fl, Fl St. Tenn. etc. and I know Bo is a better coach than most of the candidates. I can't help but wonder where "quite happy" fits with 150,000 a MONTH vs. 21,000 a month?  Somewhere that extra $4,000 a DAY has an effect on people.  Money doesn't buy happiness, but it certainly allows you to look for happiness in a lot better places!   We've all watched dozens and more people in sports and high profile public positions say how happy they were at a place and then leave for the money.  We'll see.  I'd love to have Bo for 15 years, but I just don't see it happening.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »
He's staying until his 2nd daughter graduates from Mooney in a couple years. After that, who knows.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 10:21:59 AM »
I don't see Bo leaving this year and cannot afford to look any further ahead. Coach Shane has had many better offers and held better than RMU. He gets it done on the field and off; in addition to being a well-paid (at our level) "stable administrative cog" during a time where YSU's program has not had much of that. Despite personal indiscretions in the past, coach Carl is another coordinator that knows his business on the field & has done nothing, that we know of, to discredit this program. I would like to see Shane recruit in a couple of skilled areas on O and Carl focus on D "meat & potatoes" on the recruiting trail. Coach Stoops work with special teams has not gone unnoticed and made me quite happy. Although I am upset with coach Carm, this has really been the only poor year we have had up front & this is an area where recruiting can have an immediate impact; but this is an area where we will need to focus on JUCO in order to get some physically-developed players. Coach Crist (IMO) has really had a good year, with what is a deceptively modest talent, he has given us a solid group. Coach Ganz has done very-well over the past 2-seasons and deserves a chance to take on more responsibility; the word is still out on his recruiting abilities. McKissic-Luke seems to get the max effort from McCaster & I really like what I see in Turner. I would still love to see more another Ruiz come on board during the off-season.  Honestly, Bo has been the only inconsistency on the staff this past year and that seems to be his "MO".

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »
1AA, I don't think we need another Ruiz, we already have McCaster.  Who needs another back just a little too small and half a step slow?  I'm moving Turner to the slot as he is a better receiver than RB and looking to Chapman to really be the key guy on offense this year. 
I love your shot at Bricllo.  Did you ever notice how the best coaches in the NFL, just by coincidence, have the best QBs?  These guys are the same coaches year in, year out, it comes down to the kids and their commitment.  This year both tackles seemed to have some other interest most of the time.  Same with D'Alesio, he was a far better coach when Reed was able to play!
Personally, I think this team is in big trouble in the OL.  We have just about -0- at OT and you simply can't run OR pass it you can't control the edges.  Compound that with a TE that is mostly a receiver and it doesn't look good.  What we need is a seasoned JUCO transfer or 2 at OT.  IMO, much more of a need than QB.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 03:05:57 PM »
Go, I fully agree on your assessment of the need in the OL being greater than that of QB. I think you are confused when it comes to Ruiz ...he was a beast. I think he only had 1-year of less than 1,000-yards and could brake off of a mistake up front with ease. Although I really thought the world of Cook and will take a clone of either ...Cook had better hands than Ruiz, but Ruiz was stronger which more than made up for a possible slightly-weaker vision than Cook.

As to TE, I am not overly-worried with Joiner and Durkin ...do not know much about Burgett. I have also heard a rumor that Kuhn can graduate this year and would be granted an additional year, but I think he would then have to transfer.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 04:07:03 PM »
Go, I fully agree on your assessment of the need in the OL being greater than that of QB. I think you are confused when it comes to Ruiz ...he was a beast. I think he only had 1-year of less than 1,000-yards and could brake off of a mistake up front with ease. Although I really thought the world of Cook and will take a clone of either ...Cook had better hands than Ruiz, but Ruiz was stronger which more than made up for a possible slightly-weaker vision than Cook.

As to TE, I am not overly-worried with Joiner and Durkin ...do not know much about Burgett. I have also heard a rumor that Kuhn can graduate this year and would be granted an additional year, but I think he would then have to transfer.
Besides his stone hands, Ruiz has 3 things that held him back from even coming close to Cook or Mason.  Too small for a power back, he was too slow for a speed back, and let's not forget, HE WAS ON ILLEGAL DRUGS.  You may want a clone of that ********, but not me!  Personally I expect Chapman to be 2X what Ruiz ever was.
I am not concerned about the TE's as pass catchers, but with the abysmal play of our OTs this year and having only the backups to replace the starters, I am concerned about having a semi-OT to play TE and help with the blocking.  Durkin is a converted QB and Joiner is 215# I don't see either helping the running game much.  The only thing any of us know about Burgett is was he was the 7th best TE on a 6-5 team last season.  Doesn't say much.
To me, if we don't get at least 1, but hopefully 2 OT from the JUCO ranks, we will be headed to 6-5 again.  The D should be very good, but I don't see how we score.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »
I certainly hope that Chapman is 2x better than Ruiz & I think Mason was a phenom. As to your feelings on the D? We have more problems on D than O. If our QB gets the ball to our receivers they can catch and if the QB makes the hand-off the TBs can run; but our coverage does not even look for the ball most of the time and along with the middle, they have no fundamental tackling skills. Our linebackers become linemen and the secondary creeps up to try and cover short routs. However, all of this stems from a D-line that is not "pulling their weight" in shutting down the run game.

The offensive line wears the same hat that causes a multitude of problems on that side of the ball. Sure our TBs can run, but not much past the front line that is getting no push. Additionally, because the o-line is getting manhandled they cannot drop back into QB protection when needed. So we have to fortify the line with more bodies which basically telegraphs our plays to the opposing DC.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »
Not concerned at all about the D. Biggest issue is going to QB and WR's.