Author Topic: 2017 Playoffs  (Read 12031 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
2017 Playoffs
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:06:33 AM »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 09:10:01 AM »
Richard Johnson if you don't want to leave a deserving team out put a 6th Missouri team in. With the key injuries we suffered we were still able to be extremely competitive with the top teams in the nation at the time. With a healthy Reed and Wells we win at least 2 of 3 against Northern Iowa, South Dakota and NDSU. We could be a very dangerous team in the field and the Committee knows it. We were at least considered a bubble team with Northern Iowa and Illinois St. UNI will get in with their 6 conference victories and they deserve it. Who can really get excited about the field these days when 1/3 of the field couldn't beat some of the top teams in Division 2

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
why does the MEAC and SWAC conferences choose not to participate in the playoffs.  I can understand the Ivy League but don"t understand these two shunning the play-offs,

Offline supermario21

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »
Really interesting watching this selection show. The one dude on the end complaining about 5 valley teams making it, says each league should basically be capped at 3...

If they ever wanted to make a rule change like that, would be prudent to find the OVC or another league to join...

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »
Really interesting watching this selection show. The one dude on the end complaining about 5 valley teams making it, says each league should basically be capped at 3...

If they ever wanted to make a rule change like that, would be prudent to find the OVC or another league to join...

Both great ideas. Although our recruiting strength will drop when we move.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »
I'm for staying in the MVC.  We're practically a MAC team anyway according to Pitt coach Narduzzi.  And as someone mentioned our recruiting would suffer moving to a lower conference.

Offline supermario21

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 11:25:43 AM »
I would be, too, because I doubt they'll ever cap the amount of teams a league can send. But to play devil's advocate, say Pelini can recruit players here because of his name/previous Nebraska ties AND the increased winning in a lesser league drives up more local interest, those could be factors in favor of a switch, or would at least minimize the harm of leaving the MVFC.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
At least the Bison and the Bunnies are on the opposite side of the bracket. I think SDSU has the type of team that can knock off James Madison. Strong possibility we could be looking at NDSU and SDSU in the championship game

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 11:47:31 AM »
Wow! Wouldn't that really showcase the league and the Dakota Schools?

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »
I don’t see how you guys believe that staying in this league is a benefit we have made the playoffs how many times in this league.  This is the wrong league for us. It’s not in our basic geographical recruiting base.  The travel is ridiculous and no rivals from it.  We are being USED.  As for hurting recruiting We aren’t getting that done.  Plus we get screwed on the scheduling in league.  I have a better idea let’s start a new league.  This League is destroying the football program.
A Penguin for life!!!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »
https://youtu.be/s2R2sH2ScBM?t=1

Coach doesn't think we're in.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 01:49:13 PM »
I don’t see how you guys believe that staying in this league is a benefit we have made the playoffs how many times in this league.  This is the wrong league for us. It’s not in our basic geographical recruiting base.  The travel is ridiculous and no rivals from it.  We are being USED.  As for hurting recruiting We aren’t getting that done.  Plus we get screwed on the scheduling in league.  I have a better idea let’s start a new league.  This League is destroying the football program.
Respectfully disagree. This league has done far from destroy our program. It is forcing us to become a much stronger, more physical program which is much easier said than done. This league isn’t the reason we missed the playoffs this year by a game or the 3-4 times we missed the playoffs under Wolford by a game. We had our chances those 4-5 seasons to make one more play here or there that could have led us to winning that coveted one more game required of us.

If last years playoff run didn’t show you why we are fortunate to be in this league, then I’m not sure what else can convince you. This league is so deep, has so much talent, so many great coaches, and some outstanding facilities. We were so battle tested last year we found our way as an unseeded team making it all the way to Frisco and taking down the #2 and #3 seeds.

I get your points on the geography aspect, but we are in no mans land in the FCS. This State is in the heart of MAC country, but thankfully we aren’t wasting $8-10 million more a year to play in that league and compete on Tuesday night.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 07:19:32 PM »
The Illinois State game blew it. Nobody to blame but themselves.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »
  Lost at home 35-0 to a non-playoff Illinois State team, no quality non-conference wins, and 6-5 overall.  That is not a playoff resume.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 09:17:40 AM »
  Lost at home 35-0 to a non-playoff Illinois State team, no quality non-conference wins, and 6-5 overall.  That is not a playoff resume.

Agree^^ Still don't take away from the fact that 1FCS is NOT getting the best 24 teams into the playoffs!