Author Topic: 2017 Playoffs  (Read 12074 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Playoffs
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »
I don’t see how you guys believe that staying in this league is a benefit we have made the playoffs how many times in this league.  This is the wrong league for us. It’s not in our basic geographical recruiting base.  The travel is ridiculous and no rivals from it.  We are being USED.  As for hurting recruiting We aren’t getting that done.  Plus we get screwed on the scheduling in league.  I have a better idea let’s start a new league.  This League is destroying the football program.
I agree.  The travel is not only a terrible expense, but it negates any natural rivalries.  We have made how may playoff appearances in the MVFC?  to quote Harry Doyle: "Let's see, one hit ... that's all we got- one Goddamn hit?"   That OVC looks about right to me, and we need an "all sports" conference if you want any rivalries.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 08:14:46 PM »
This won’t be popular but all that college kids care about these days is winning... outside of the FBS Power 5, they give very little credence to Conference prowess. And I speak from being part of a collegiate conference transition change, as well as coaching players who are going on to the next level. They would rather come back for winter break and tell their friends they went 9-2 than say “We went 6-5... but it was in a really good conference.” All that to say if YSU went to a smaller conference and dominated, it would probably actually  help recruiting. As long as we still had the same facilities and the amenities we have now.

Honestly, FCS would benefit from spreading the wealth. There are two conferences inside the MVFC and almost every season 6 or 7 teams in the conference are playoff caliber. It is just deflating for the division when you don’t have a real quality game until the quarterfinals. That’s when the true playoff begins.

Listen, I like the MVFC but as proud as I am of the fact that we play in a tough conference... no one outside the people on this board and those in the stands at stambaugh care about that. Their bottom line is did you win a lot of games and what did you do in the playoffs.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 08:37:36 PM »
This won’t be popular but all that college kids care about these days is winning... outside of the FBS Power 5, they give very little credence to Conference prowess. And I speak from being part of a collegiate conference transition change, as well as coaching players who are going on to the next level. They would rather come back for winter break and tell their friends they went 9-2 than say “We went 6-5... but it was in a really good conference.” All that to say if YSU went to a smaller conference and dominated, it would probably actually  help recruiting. As long as we still had the same facilities and the amenities we have now.

Honestly, FCS would benefit from spreading the wealth. There are two conferences inside the MVFC and almost every season 6 or 7 teams in the conference are playoff caliber. It is just deflating for the division when you don’t have a real quality game until the quarterfinals. That’s when the true playoff begins.

Listen, I like the MVFC but as proud as I am of the fact that we play in a tough conference... no one outside the people on this board and those in the stands at stambaugh care about that. Their bottom line is did you win a lot of games and what did you do in the playoffs.

I think this is generally true.  That said, I do think playing in this conference has helped prepare us for high level competition in the instances when we've made the playoffs.  Every year we've made the playoffs since joining the conference has lead to a deep run, save the Richmond loss in 2000.

Obviously, this team wasn't a title contender.  I don't care what conference you play in, going 6-5 means you are just "okay".  So, Central Connecticut gets to play one more game and we don't.  That really doesn't do anything to my blood pressure as a fan of a basically .500 team.

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »
Maybe not a title contender but healthy and in this year’s bracket could have been a quarterfinal team (Wofdord, SDSU, Sam houston, Jacksonville all beatable by a healthy YSU). And I suppose that’s the frustration. Outside of the MVFC in a conference like the OVC, YSU would have been in the playoffs at least 7-8 times in the passed 15 years as opposed to just 2. And out of those 7-8 times would have probably gone quarters or even semis 2 or 3 times. Overall our reputation would be so much better in the later scenario. Our only losses every year are to a top conference FBS team, an fcs championship contender and typically 2 other 2-round playoff contenders... and several seasons those games have been close.

Trust me, no excuses and there have been 3-4 other years where we shot ourselves in the foot when we had a clear playoff berth even with being in the MVFC. I just can’t believe so many hold onto the MVFC helps us recruit and then say we should play a better OCC strength of schedule. Without even scheduling non conference games our scihedule is already stronger than 3 years worths of games for 65% of FCS. I would love to see the MVFC go to two sides of the conference and be treated as two conferences and lose the NEC, Patriot and Pioneer autobids (if one of the schools out of those 3 conferences passes the eye test, they can be an at large). It would probably help the FCS in general even more than YSU!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 10:23:27 PM »
As for CCSU, We beat em up pretty good early in the year, but early in the year we also beat up SDSU and nearly took down Pitt and NDSU...

However... I’m honestly not sure the team that showed up and got throttled by the Redbirds st
Home would win against CCSU

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 08:10:26 AM »
As for CCSU, We beat em up pretty good early in the year, but early in the year we also beat up SDSU and nearly took down Pitt and NDSU...

However... I’m honestly not sure the team that showed up and got throttled by the Redbirds st
Home would win against CCSU

Pretty sure YSU would beat them worse than the 1st go around  8)

The Central Connecticut Blue Devils will be without their starting quarterback for the school's first ever Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) playoff game.

Coach Pete Rossomando has suspended junior quarterback Jacob Dolegala and junior offensive lineman David Cinti for a one game because of a "violation of team policy," according to a statement from a university spokesperson.

No more details have been made available.

Dolegala just became the school's all-time leading passer in the 42-14 win over Robert Morris.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 08:56:59 AM »
I'm shocked no one b****ed about Lehigh getting into the playoff's!!

5-6 5-1 in conference soooo that means they lost every OOC game but only lost one in conference  :o

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 09:02:43 AM »
I'm shocked no one b****ed about Lehigh getting into the playoff's!!

5-6 5-1 in conference soooo that means they lost every OOC game but only lost one in conference  :o
If we were one of the "sisters of the poor" we'd appreciate the opportunity to make the playoffs by winning the conference once in a while too.  You could go back to 16 teams and throw out the auto bids for conference winners, but what do you gain?  Now all the quality teams get an additional home playoff game, a tune up for quality competition coming up and the lower conferences can say "we made the payoffs".  I don't see the harm?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!