Author Topic: Canisius  (Read 15146 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Canisius
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 12:36:38 AM »
We looked good in spurts, but just not putting in a full 40-minute game.  The uncontested layups & wide open 3's can't happen & were clearly the difference.  Think they said that was the 1st time Canisius scored over 100 at home since '89 to a Div 3 team & was their first triple double in school history.  Tough to continue to see Cam continue to struggle shooting.  Foul shooting continues to be disappointing...57% for the year.  Hartfield had a tremendous yet, yet missed 7 foul shots.  Will be nice to get Ferguson back & Santiago seems to be getting closer to 100%.  Anyone know what was up with Tyree Robinson, who started against KSU & played 15 against Franciscan? 

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 01:07:46 AM »
You said it Cincinnati and VCU....  this is YSU...

Oh i see, this style only works in d1 schools bigger than YSU and D2 schools, but the sweet spot of horizon league basketball is immune to it... helluva scheme.

Seriously though, 3 games into the season is a bit early for any type of judgement, even if we’d blown out Kent and canisus it’d be way to early to make a judgement either way...
Patience, at least give Calhoun a chance 57% ft percentage isn’t a style thing

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 06:58:40 AM »
We are basically in a total rebuild.  Relax.  We gave Slocum what 10 or 11 years at least give this guy 5 yrs.  lol
A Penguin for life!!!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 07:36:04 AM »
We looked good in spurts, but just not putting in a full 40-minute game.  The uncontested layups & wide open 3's can't happen & were clearly the difference.  Think they said that was the 1st time Canisius scored over 100 at home since '89 to a Div 3 team & was their first triple double in school history.  Tough to continue to see Cam continue to struggle shooting.  Foul shooting continues to be disappointing...57% for the year.  Hartfield had a tremendous yet, yet missed 7 foul shots.  Will be nice to get Ferguson back & Santiago seems to be getting closer to 100%.  Anyone know what was up with Tyree Robinson, who started against KSU & played 15 against Franciscan?

Very good analysis.   You said everything that I was thinking but can't articulate since I'm getting nuts watching them and having unrealistic expectations.  Don't like Morse having the responsibility of playing the point.  He needs to free lance off the ball with the rest getting him screens.  Having a healthy Santiago is key.
Sad part I don't think Canisius is anything special.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:38:29 AM by ucfpengbuck »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 10:15:21 AM »
Our half court defense improved dramatically in the second half when we dropped the press. If you run the press, you need to actually run back. Way too much jogging as the announcers kept saying on ESPN3 which led to probably 15-20 wide open shots. That D must improve.

Now another D3 game Tuesday. Not sure if I’m interested in watching us press for forty minutes to see us win by 75 :). Would hope they really emphasize and focus on the details of the half court defense.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 12:56:24 PM »
The ESPN announcer also joked that this might be an NCAA record for most uncontested 3 point shots.  Not very flattering for us.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 07:20:45 PM »
Like said before, this program is being rebuilt from the ground up after being stuck in mediocrity for years. They'll be fine. This year is a wash.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 08:14:24 AM »
 Agree Chief, being built from ground up, not sure they will be fine.  Haven't been fine in decades.  Style is not as much an issue as talent.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 09:55:57 AM »
You said it Cincinnati and VCU....  this is YSU...

So it should be easier. Give it time, 3rd game of the season, my god...
Chief, you are 100% right.  Some of these guys would fire the coach after 3 games.  It is going to take at least a couple years to get such a style change implemented.  The style will work at any level.  ANY style works at any level.  It's a matter of execution.  Remember John McKay's quote when asked about his team's execution?  "I'm in favor of it."  I'll bet Jarrod has them same thought about now. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 04:45:35 PM »
I'm  100% behind coach and the program.  Probably got to excited with all the newness and will have to calm my expectations.  I'm still going to get nuts when I see guards on opposing teams simulating a lay up line during the game.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 09:29:39 AM »
I'm  100% behind coach and the program.  Probably got to excited with all the newness and will have to calm my expectations.  I'm still going to get nuts when I see guards on opposing teams simulating a lay up line during the game.
I think we were all a little giddy with the excitement Calhoun is bringing to the program.  I think he has some good recruits, but in a best case they are all freshman!  However, you are also right in expecting more on D than an opponent layup line.  I'm pretty sure coach isn't telling them to give up uncontested 3's or layups!
For prospective, Pelini also had a losing record his first year here and Tressel was a dismal 2-9 his initial campaign at YSU!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »
I think we were all a little giddy with the excitement Calhoun is bringing to the program.  I think he has some good recruits, but in a best case they are all freshman!  However, you are also right in expecting more on D than an opponent layup line.  I'm pretty sure coach isn't telling them to give up uncontested 3's or layups!
For prospective, Pelini also had a losing record his first year here and Tressel was a dismal 2-9 his initial campaign at YSU!

Calhoun will get these guys playing team basketball by end of the season or next year. Right, the five guys on the court are playing individual basketball and not team basketball (especially on defense where they are only playing one on one on their own man and nobody help out.). Unfortunately, On offense, they are also playing one on trying to create shoots for themselves and they are not trying to create set plays to setup an open shooter. The game turns into the track meet.
Our inside guys just could not finish under the basket. similar to last year, Haygood still could finish inside. The team did not trying to set up shots for Cam and his points output continues to go down. This was the guy who was ranked in the top of NCAA D1 (was #22 at one time last year trailing only ex-penguin playing at CMU)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »
Tyree didn't play Saturday because of academic issues.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 03:46:49 PM »
Coach also alluded that with the point guards out the opposing teams are having their way with driving down the lane. I  didn't even think of how the point guard role is to stop that at the point of attack.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 04:17:48 PM »

Right on with giving coach C a chance. What would help is if all of you basketball experts can point out the improvements that you see in each game. At this point the direction of the team is what is most important.