Author Topic: Double Header Tonight  (Read 11842 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Double Header Tonight
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 11:03:59 AM »
I agree with much of what has been said, ie too many substitutions and playing 2 or the 3 bigs at once to have a chance inside.  One player I think can help is #13, Morgan Brunner.  When she is in she shoots the ball well and gets rebounds.  Not sure if she is quick enough to guard smaller quicker guards, but I think she can help with our poor outside shooting so far.  Our outside shooting has killed us in both losses in addition to our inside game both on offense and defense.
So let me recap, we are too slow, can't shoot from outside, and and we can't play inside on offense or defense?  Guess we should disband the team, huh?  Arbanas isn't going to go 0-7 the rest of her career.  We have two players coming back from missing virtually all last year, and with the normal turnover of college, it is a work in progress.  Yes, if we shoot 30% from the field and 20% from 3 as we did against Kent it is going to be a long year, but I think that is very unlikely.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »
I think that one person playing well makes it easier for all the others.  If your inside game is good and the defense needs to double or shade in, then the outside shooters are getting open shots, not closely guarded contested shots.  That is what is happening to us I think and the result is poor shooting percentage and turnovers.  Kent and Pitt have good players and are bigger than us in general. That makes it easier to guard the inside and the outside. Thus poor shooting percentage and turnovers.  Sara is the key for the most part.  She draws a crowd inside and still produces.  That frees up the outside shooter if it is played correctly. That is where I think Morgan Brunner can help.  Good outside and close to the basket shooting and size and ability to get rebounds.

On another note look at what Hunter Wells does to our offense and what Justus Reed does to our defense.  All of a sudden we can play with Pitt, have a running game, don't have huge number of sacks, can throw the ball, and we get sacks, stop the run, slow down the passing game, but when they are gone we have trouble with lesser teams.  Outstanding players make the others around them better and by a lot I think.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »
I think that one person playing well makes it easier for all the others.  If your inside game is good and the defense needs to double or shade in, then the outside shooters are getting open shots, not closely guarded contested shots.  That is what is happening to us I think and the result is poor shooting percentage and turnovers.  Kent and Pitt have good players and are bigger than us in general. That makes it easier to guard the inside and the outside. Thus poor shooting percentage and turnovers.  Sara is the key for the most part.  She draws a crowd inside and still produces.  That frees up the outside shooter if it is played correctly. That is where I think Morgan Brunner can help.  Good outside and close to the basket shooting and size and ability to get rebounds.

On another note look at what Hunter Wells does to our offense and what Justus Reed does to our defense.  All of a sudden we can play with Pitt, have a running game, don't have huge number of sacks, can throw the ball, and we get sacks, stop the run, slow down the passing game, but when they are gone we have trouble with lesser teams.  Outstanding players make the others around them better and by a lot I think.
Yes, that was what Wells gave us. In the SIU game, I remembered one play (might be the TD to Patterson). He  first looked to the left, then he went back scanning the middle. No one was open and he looked to the right and fired a TD pass to #4.
Davis would have tugged the ball  in and run after the first read (without finding an open receiver).
Mays would have held on the ball to long and got sack.
IMO, if Wells did not get hurt, we would be in the playoff.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 01:59:21 PM »
Dunn needs to play more. Especially with another big.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »
Dont care who you play, I hate to see scores like that.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 08:57:49 PM »
Dont care who you play, I hate to see scores like that.

Boo hoo.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 08:11:56 AM »
Holly sh**! How GOOD IS Kent State? "OR" How bad is Franciscan? Two game played and you don't know squat about the BB team  ::)

When's spring football  8)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 08:49:19 AM »
Holly sh**! How GOOD IS Kent State? "OR" How bad is Franciscan? Two game played and you don't know squat about the BB team  ::)

Well, if you did the math on the comparable scores, a Kent / Franciscan match-up would be something like 155-34
Our closest game this year so far is 33 points.
To be honest, this MBB schedule is more advanced than our team, and so we are going to pile up a bunch of losses while we learn to play.  I'm going Saturday for the MSU game, but I think I'm all in on the question: "when's spring football?"

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »

Well, if you did the math on the comparable scores, a Kent / Franciscan match-up would be something like 155-34
To be honest, this MBB schedule is more advanced than our team, and so we are going to pile up a bunch of losses while we learn to play.  I'm going Saturday for the MSU game, but I think I'm all in on the question: "when's spring football?"

You'll have to stop by and introduce yourself. I'll be tailgating in the upper lot with JustToyin and family.

:)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »

You'll have to stop by and introduce yourself. I'll be tailgating in the upper lot with JustToyin and family.

:)
we have been tailgating in the upper lot for.......since they opened the upper lot!  Looks like great weather!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 08:40:45 PM »

Yes, that was what Wells gave us. In the SIU game, I remembered one play (might be the TD to Patterson). He  first looked to the left, then he went back scanning the middle. No one was open and he looked to the right and fired a TD pass to #4.
Davis would have tugged the ball  in and run after the first read (without finding an open receiver).

No question ET. I also think we would have made it a healthy Mays for one more game. We would have had two more wins with Wells and one more win with Mays (assuming we win tomorrow) ...with our performance last year in the post-season, that would be enough to get us in.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 10:13:25 AM »

No question ET. I also think we would have made it a healthy Mays for one more game. We would have had two more wins with Wells and one more win with Mays (assuming we win tomorrow) ...with our performance last year in the post-season, that would be enough to get us in.
What woulda, coulda, blah blah.  You are what your record is.  We were ranked 16th with one competitive game left against Ill. State and laid a HUGE EGG.  QB didn't matter, we didn't block. we didn't tackle.  We got thumped and missed the payoffs.  Win that, we are in, lose and we're out.  Other than Wells being out, the seniors had it in their control, on their home field, and they didn't play up to their capabilities.  They have NO ONE TO BLAME BUT THEMSELVES.  That was the single worst performance I've seen by ANY YSU team in the 50 YEARS I've been watching YSU football! 
There is a lesson in that for their futures in whatever they do, and a lesson for the underclassmen for the rest of their careers.  Let's hope everybody learns from it, but no crying over spilled milk.  It wasn't spilled, we poured it on the damn turf in Stambaugh Stadium  Oct. 28th.  We ended with 4 MVFC wins against teams with a combined record of 19-30, and while we did have one quality win, close loses can be called nothing more than loses.  We need some new threads on recruiting!