Author Topic: Basketball Charity Game  (Read 9256 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Charity Game
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
Go guins,based on your criteria I need a life.  I feel triggered  ;D

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »
Intersting to see coach is gonna start Haygood who's 6-7 over Wilbourn, the 7 footer. I know he's gonna substitute like crazy so it really doesn't matter but just figured he would get more size out there to start.

Haygood with his length and leaping ability plays larger than his actual size.  We really don't much about Wilbourne except for his JC video. Like you said  Coach Calhoun and his uptempo pace will play a lot of guys.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 11:16:54 AM »
This scrimmage result is what I have feared all along. We are not the UCLA Bruins, sinking a shot 9 out of every 10 times we cross center-court. We are YSU, a mid-major school lucky to be over 40%. This means we are going to give up more scoring opportunities than we make, unless we play more defense and fight for rebounds. I have not seen the team, but it does not sound like this is what Calhoun has in mind. Players have to be worried about getting back into position outside the key or get burned.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:28:36 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 11:40:01 AM »
This scrimmage result is what I have feared all along. We are not the UCLA Bruins, sinking a shot 9 out of every 10 times we cross center-court. We are YSU, a mid-major school lucky to be over 40%. This means we are going to give up more scoring opportunities than we make, unless we play more defense and fight for rebounds. I have not seen the team, but it does not sound like this is what Calhoun has in mind. Players have to be worried about getting back into position outside the key or get burned.
I think we may want to have a little tiny bit of patience with Coach Calhoun.  First of all, all the hold over players are used to losing most of their games and winning is a culture: therefore this means a culture change for most of the guys.  Second, he played for the national championship last season.   They didn’t do that with no D and no rebounding.  They are going to play much differently than under Slocum, and that is going to require time to adjust.  Third, UCLA does not shoot 90% from the field.  I know you are making a point that poor old YSU can’t compete but we CAN compete in the Horizon given players and coaching.  I think we are making progress.  Give it a year or 2 and see where we are.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 12:13:29 PM »
I think we may want to have a little tiny bit of patience with Coach Calhoun.  First of all, all the hold over players are used to losing most of their games and winning is a culture: therefore this means a culture change for most of the guys.  Second, he played for the national championship last season.   They didn’t do that with no D and no rebounding.  They are going to play much differently than under Slocum, and that is going to require time to adjust.  Third, UCLA does not shoot 90% from the field.  I know you are making a point that poor old YSU can’t compete but we CAN compete in the Horizon given players and coaching.  I think we are making progress.  Give it a year or 2 and see where we are.

Good points & I am willing to give it the time. BTW, I did not say UCLA shoots 90% from the field, but they do make a basket, foul or get fouled 9 out of 10 times they cross the line. They rebound exceptionally well and get second-chance points. Also if they miss the shot and their opponents happen to get the ball, they press, create turn-overs, get the rebound and bring it back. I guess I will look at some film of his old club and see.