Author Topic: South Dakota  (Read 67743 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: South Dakota
« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2017, 07:06:26 PM »
Tough game.  If any of 3 things happen we win.  1. The defense plays well. The offensive line plays well.  3. The QB plays well.  None happened. 

It seemed like on defense we were never set and looked confused.  Also using line backers to cover faster receivers did not work. their number 33 had 200 yards receiving! And we rarely got pressure on their QB.  I think we were so concerned with his running that we held back on the pass rush to keep him in the pocket. His throws killed us.

The offensive line did not give our QB time to pass most of the time. And there was no way we could run the ball consistently with them packing the box, especially on 1st down.  But must not have had confidence in our QB to throw on early downs much of the time. 

Nathan Mays had a hard time under the pressure of their defensive line and blitzing. So he locked on to only one receiver and that was it.  And his throwing ability is not that strong.

Finally when tied on the last series we again try to run against an impossible front and play for overtime.  If they committed to the run so much and we don't have confidence to pass the ball, we are in deep mud.

Not sure about Ricky Davis but would sure like to see what he could do this year.  He for sure has a stronger arm and is a stronger runner.  Against the top teams we are in trouble as we are currently structured.  I think the defense will be better, but on offense I am not so sure.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2017, 08:11:24 PM »
At least on the bright side we probably have a better chance of beating NDSU now. Got to think our weaknesses were exposed and the players and coaches will come at the Bison with a little chip on their shoulder.

As much as no one likes to admit it , the SD game was kind of a trap game, sure they were highly ranked and we definitely respected them, but SDSU and NDSU are always THE big games. I'm thinking we may have been looking past the Yotes.

Some good thoughts
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 09, 2017, 12:26:16 PM »
Worried about Reed's injury. He's our only true great pass rusher.

His injury definitely made a difference.  The Guins got some pressure on the QB when he was in there, but very little after he left.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 09, 2017, 12:34:07 PM »
I am also surprised we did not use Davis at all.  Just for a series or two

I thought he'd see some playing time as well.  He played against these guys last year, so he would have some familiarity with them.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 09, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »
Look for Davis to play some this week against the Bison