Author Topic: South Dakota  (Read 66972 times)

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: South Dakota
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 12:01:33 PM »
The D did a great job containing Streveler last year.  Hoping for a repeat performance.  Wonder if they are planning some snaps for Ricky being as he played against SD last year.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
I've been bumming around on a South Dakota football blog, and I can tell you this for certain.  They are FAR more fired up about this game than we are.  This may be the biggest game in USD football history and it isn't close to the biggest game for us so far this season.  If the players are as fired up as their bloggers and ours are as listless as the bloggers on this site, we will be in a huge pile of trouble.   They are waiting for YSU to send back unused tickets so the can sell them to waiting fans.  Going to be loud in that dome, that's for sure. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »
Making projections based on widely divergent ooc games and a single league match is rather pointless.  For what it is worth (not much) our two best opponents in the Sagarin ratings (#54 Pitt and #87 SDSU) are supposedly stronger than the two highest rated South Dakota foes (#90 Western Illinois and #142 Bowling Green.)

Our defense surrendered 348 yards to Pitt and 222 to SDSU.  South Dakota yielded 472 to BG and 474 to Western Illinois.  Much of that yardage came in the air where they appear to be most vulnerable.  Ricky Davis threw for over 200 yards against them last season.  If they commit too many resources to containing our running game, Mays should be looking at single coverage all across the field. 

As go guins suggested, the biggest enemy on Saturday is focus and emotion, not talent.  We better not take this week off, or any of the remaining weeks in October.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 10:56:28 PM »
Don't like this game at all.  Tough place to play - like a sardine can.  Coming off a great game and have the #2 team next week.  We can either get trapped looking back or forward.  They believe this is the the breakout game for their program.  Talent across the field I think we are better in almost every position except QB, but the intangibles will determine this game - playing a full game, turnovers, special teams, taking the crowd out of the game early!  Nervous about what our demeanor will be like!  National Champion level or just a playoff team.  Better coach them up this week.  USD is 3-0 on the road - we better win on the road in this conference!

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 12:11:44 AM »
Pretty nervous about this one.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 05:55:34 AM »
Don't like this game at all.  Tough place to play - like a sardine can.  Coming off a great game and have the #2 team next week.  We can either get trapped looking back or forward.  They believe this is the the breakout game for their program.  Talent across the field I think we are better in almost every position except QB, but the intangibles will determine this game - playing a full game, turnovers, special teams, taking the crowd out of the game early!  Nervous about what our demeanor will be like!  National Champion level or just a playoff team.  Better coach them up this week.  USD is 3-0 on the road - we better win on the road in this conference!

GO GUINS

Exactly my sentiments.  I also think they've circled this game.  I don't recall them ever beating us since joining the league  (and they've beaten NDSU).  You hit the nail on the head.  We will see if they are focused like a champion or if they are playing like a playoff team early in the season. This game could seriously end up being worth a bye heading into the playoffs, which will really help when that second season starts.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 12:21:27 PM »
Let's not have a repeat of a couple years ago when people were trying to get gameday to come here for the NDSU game and we crapped the bed the week before because the team wasn't focused.

Offline ysu2000

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 06:00:12 PM »
Too late for that, ytownchief22.  Idiots on Twitter have been trying to get Gameday to the NDSU game all week. 

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
Too late for that, ytownchief22.  Idiots on Twitter have been trying to get Gameday to the NDSU game all week. 

Thankfully those idiots aren’t playing tomorrow.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 10:28:48 PM »
Now, I may fall under the category of "one of those idiots" on Twitter. But trust me, this team is focused on this week. Bo was asked in the weekly press conference, "Is it easier to keep the team focused when playing a highly ranked team?" He answered to the affirmative and said he didn't need to get the team focused at all this week, and then added, "But you all know I can most definitely get their attention if I need too, but I haven't needed too."

Besides, going back to the year we lost to UNI the week before, I wouldn't say that looking ahead lost the game. UNI was good, but we had every reason to win that game. I remember poor clock management costing us points and the game. Just my 2 cents.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 10:30:47 PM »
Further more, I am nervous for this game not because "the team is looking ahead" but because SD is a good team and this is at home for them. Still expect to win, but this is a very scary game. Go Penguins!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 11:09:26 PM »
Further more, I am nervous for this game not because "the team is looking ahead" but because SD is a good team and this is at home for them. Still expect to win, but this is a very scary game. Go Penguins!

Yes

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 06:18:29 AM »
It's gameday let's go penguins!

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 07:13:47 AM »
Let’s go Guins.  Gameday. First drive for each team will tell a lot about this game

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 08:02:36 AM »
Always tough to travel to the Dakotas and Northern Iowa. On top of that tough environments.  I agree could be a trap game.  Plus on how we dominated last week I am concerned it will give us a false sense on who we are.  Hopefully Pelini will keep their heads where they need to be.  If we can dominate the scrimmage line on both sides life will be good. Special team play will be important today and if we win that. Ballgame! Go YSU!
A Penguin for life!!!