Author Topic: Richmond Suing  (Read 76791 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Richmond Suing
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
I would not do football scoop a favor by clicking on their link
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »
Pelini cleared the bench yesterday, playing everybody who was not injured or redshirting.  Had he not put Richmond in the game, he would actually have antagonized a federal judge. 

This whole affair highlights the destructive side of social media.  Unfounded accusations can't be challenged.  Lies can't be refuted.  Total lack of accountability for anybody sitting behind a keyboard.

Last week, Penguinpower furnished statistics that one out of every twenty male American teenagers manage to get into serious trouble.  For all the outrage about Richmond, I wonder how many juvenile rapists are playing college athletics today in all sports and across all divisions.  Somehow I think it might be more than one.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »
Pelini cleared the bench yesterday, playing everybody who was not injured or redshirting.  Had he not put Richmond in the game, he would actually have antagonized a federal judge. 

This whole affair highlights the destructive side of social media.  Unfounded accusations can't be challenged.  Lies can't be refuted.  Total lack of accountability for anybody sitting behind a keyboard.

Last week, Penguinpower furnished statistics that one out of every twenty male American teenagers manage to get into serious trouble.  For all the outrage about Richmond, I wonder how many juvenile rapists are playing college athletics today in all sports and across all divisions.  Somehow I think it might be more than one.
As I have stated before, as far as I know, since the university does not have a policy for background check as a condition for admission or participation in university sponsored activities how could he be singled out.

If I had student who is the best mathematician in the university and he/she is on the math team participating in the national math contest, do you think the faculty in charge could throw him/her off the team just because of a feloney conviction prior to attending YSU?
But, this is football, a high profile event?
His participations made the hardline in Today's Warren Tribune, headline in the sport page in the Vindicator, two editiorals in Vindicator.

Couple of years, When our STEM academic research team out performed Kent, Akron, CSU, Case in the conference, do you know how much coverages we received from these two newspapers? You guess it, ZERO.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2017, 02:42:50 PM »
No doubt the media is fishing on this one.  Watch the TV news and they can't get anyone much to comment, but they come to conclusions. On campus most students don't even know about it according to one report. Fake News?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2017, 03:12:30 PM »
No doubt the media is fishing on this one.  Watch the TV news and they can't get anyone much to comment, but they come to conclusions. On campus most students don't even know about it according to one report. Fake News?

Students in my class did not discuss it. Football players in my department did not bring it up and I intentionally stayed away from the subject with them to avoid putting them in awkward position. We just talked YSU football.

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2017, 07:03:45 AM »
Bo and Tressel are both on board for this kid playing. It's others in the administration who are making a fuss because of some people in the community being upset.

I'm with The Chief.
Joe Cool

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2017, 09:38:28 AM »
The University rules and policies on this matter have all been followed, right? The legal system ran its course in this case as well.

If people didn't like that outcome, try changing those  systems through the existing processes of doing so.

Don't cry and protest because you didn't get your way. Americans look everywhere for something to be offended by and then act like giant babies if their demands aren't immediately satisfied by apologetic capitulation. To me, that's not how our democracy should work.

Those are the rules we live by, and like it or not Richmond has met his obligations. I'm not thrilled that he is on the team, but that's his right.

It's absolutely awful what happened to the victim and I do not want to diminish that one bit.

Protesting and trying to get your picture on facebook or the news as this holier-than-though martyr for the injustice of the week is disgusting.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2017, 10:07:31 AM »
If there is anyone on this thread that is opposed to Richmond being on the team, I am interested to know what you would like done?  The only issue I can see is him being a possible threat to other students.  In that case, do you see him barred from the campus for life?  Do you see all criminals who have been caught, punished, and released from the judicial system barred from campus and YSU?  Only some crimes?  Which crimes do you see as life sentences regardless of legal standing? 
To me the behavior of the Vindicator, the Tribune, some campus facility and students has been, if not criminal, at least anti-American and anti-Christian.   This kid should be held up as trying to make something of what could easily be a downward spiral leading to more violent crime.  Instead he is trying to turn his life around and the Vindy, Trib and many facility, students and public at large are trying to block him.  IMO disgusting
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2017, 01:09:27 PM »
I had typed out a long message, but decided to go a different route with this post. At this point I know Richmond will remain a member of the team, and my preference doesn't matter due to litigation and the university having already made promises to him. I would have, however, preferred him to not have been allowed on the team. I do agree with the thought that playing collegiate athletics is a privilege not a right. The YSU Student Athlete Handbook even says so in the first paragraph. I can fully admit my thoughts are just that, my opinion. I know it probably is not even a popular one, but I don't mind that, no one has to agree with me.

So to answer your question, what I would like done at this point is nothing because I recognize with the litigation nothing can be done. I would have preferred that we didn't get ourselves into this situation in the first place though.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
The University rules and policies on this matter have all been followed, right? The legal system ran its course in this case as well.

If people didn't like that outcome, try changing those  systems through the existing processes of doing so.

Don't cry and protest because you didn't get your way. Americans look everywhere for something to be offended by and then act like giant babies if their demands aren't immediately satisfied by apologetic capitulation. To me, that's not how our democracy should work.

Those are the rules we live by, and like it or not Richmond has met his obligations. I'm not thrilled that he is on the team, but that's his right.

It's absolutely awful what happened to the victim and I do not want to diminish that one bit.

Protesting and trying to get your picture on facebook or the news as this holier-than-though martyr for the injustice of the week is disgusting.

By protesting this gives some people Meaning & purpose in their life.  They feel good about themselves because they took up an issue that they feel is important to society.  God forbid they should fix themselves before protesting whether a guy plays football or not.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2017, 01:14:46 PM »
I agree completely with go guins.  We should be a nation of laws, not mobs etc.

YSU has always been a University with a goal of helping people succeed and improve themselves.  I can't believe the University is working against that primary function of their existence in this case. As for the Vindicator I often feel they work to tear down the area, the University, and successful local people.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »
I had typed out a long message, but decided to go a different route with this post. At this point I know Richmond will remain a member of the team, and my preference doesn't matter due to litigation and the university having already made promises to him. I would have, however, preferred him to not have been allowed on the team. I do agree with the thought that playing collegiate athletics is a privilege not a right. The YSU Student Athlete Handbook even says so in the first paragraph. I can fully admit my thoughts are just that, my opinion. I know it probably is not even a popular one, but I don't mind that, no one has to agree with me.

So to answer your question, what I would like done at this point is nothing because I recognize with the litigation nothing can be done. I would have preferred that we didn't get ourselves into this situation in the first place though.
Sports is a privilege not a right, I'm fine with that.  But the right of ALL students.  What would you say if I said "volleyball is a privilege granted white women, or MBB is a sport that only black men are privileged to play?"  Yes, it is a privilege, you must follow the rules, get the grades etc. but you can't block somebody because you don't like what they did.  Even if reprehensible.  He came to school.  Anybody can walk on to football, not sure what we could have done to "stay out" AND I'm not sure we should have.  IF this kid is really trying to put his life together, maybe we SHOULD lead.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »
I will admit I don't know the student at all. Maybe he is trying to put his life together, but if you are ok with saying it is a privilege then it is a privilege of all students, which means it is not guarenteed. Again we are talking about sports not attending the university.

As the gender aspects of sports... let me ask this, do we have men playing volleyball? How about women's basketball?

On your football walk on comment, not everybody is allowed to walk onto the team. You have to make the team even if you walk out. There are roster limitations. We can't have unlimited students on the roster.

So again, if it is a privilege, you can absolutely block a student from participating for reasons other than their conduct and standing at the university. There is a perfect justification for a litany of coaching reasons, enough players at a given position, overall roster limitation ect
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:19:48 PM by The YO Show »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2017, 02:47:35 PM »
I will admit I don't know the student at all. Maybe he is trying to put his life together, but if you are ok with saying it is a privilege then it is a privilege of all students, which means it is not guarenteed. Again we are talking about sports not attending the university.

As the gender aspects of sports... let me ask this, do we have men playing volleyball? How about women's basketball?

On your football walk on comment, not everybody is allowed to walk onto the team. You have to make the team even if you walk out. There are roster limitations. We can't have unlimited students on the roster.

So again, if it is a privilege, you can absolutely block a student from participating for reasons other than their conduct and standing at the university. There is a perfect justification for a litany of coaching reasons, enough players at a given position, overall roster limitation ect

I have a different view than yours.

Any student has a right, under the YSU established policy in the student guide book. Therefore, he has the right to tryout.
Being a walk on as part of the team, he has to meet the performance requirements. If he meets/exceeds the requirements and is ranked high enough to be within the roster limit, he should be on the team.

The issue is that the petition wants  him off the team no matter what. This has nothing to do with privilege. I consider that to be prejudice.

I will go back to my earlier point. If I put together an academic research team to enter a competition. There is an evaluation process which includes test, oral presentation. Can I deny the student's participation if he/she scores highest in both categories? Can I tell the student that he/she has the right to take the test but does not have the privilege to be part of the team? If the student happens to be female or gay or transgender or minority, what do you think would happen.

As to your comment about "not everyone could be a walk on", it is probably because they might not be good enough in the evaluation process (including myself).

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2017, 04:30:34 PM »

Title IX and the courts in their infinite wisdom have for all intents outlawed men's volleyball, and I actually think we DO have women playing BB.  (pretty good, you should check them out sometime)
Yes,you have to make the team and I have no doubt I would not have, and the Richmond did.  Played only a little yesterday and had a couple tackles and a sack.  Kid can play, I don't think that was ever a question.
Either we believe in what we say we believe in or we change it.  In this case it would require leaving the state school system and discrimination simply isn't allowed.  Personally I think it's a good rule.