Author Topic: CCSU  (Read 16029 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: CCSU
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 03:29:49 PM »
I agree, just talking the ability to run and throw, not when and where to throw or run.  I hope things work out for all the QB's.  If we get to it, I am hoping Ricky can be the total package if called on. Nice person.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
We have to keep things in perspective.  CCSU had an awful defense, perhaps tied with Valpo for the worse defensive team ever to appear in Stambaugh stadium (and nonscholarship Valpo at least had an excuse.) That being said, the depth on our team is obvious, and all three quarterbacks have at least some experience.  By manipulating personnel, including our quarterbacks, we have the weapons to attack opposing defenses were they are vulnerable.  Big change from last season when we could hardly make a first down in October.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 07:32:56 PM »
CCSU is what it is, we did what we had to do and we won. a week off to get ready for league.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 12:28:04 PM »
I know we've been down this path before, but at the start of the 4th quarter I asked the 8 folks I attend the games with "Would you rather play teams like this at home, or play Kent or Akron at their place?", and they all said they would rather drive to Kent or Akron.  I know it's a great opportunity to get everyone in the game, but I don't find these type of games very entertaining.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »
Would love to play Akron,Kent,Ohio,BG rather than Bobby Morris or CCSU.  I'd do a 2 for 1 with us getting one year to their two at their place.   I accept the fact that they're FBS and we're FCS.  Additionally, YSU could get more exposure if these games are on ESPN, on a Thursday night.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 01:23:05 PM »
I agree ucfpengbuck and ysuguins4 I would rather play MAC schools. This has been discussed before. But ultimately, I can say I now know Akron has a moratorium on playing YSU. I'm guessing Kent would as well. We would have to play different MAC schools if we did.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »
Saturday was particularly bad.  This team was VERY shorthanded with suspensions and injury.  Very sad for their kids.  Don't know about our players, but Ricky Davis was having a ball, that's for sure.
Playing the MAC schools sounds good to fans, but you play 2 a year, on average, lose at least 1.  Now you play nationally ranked 1AA powers #2 #4 #12 and #22 and lose 2 of those.  Now we are best case you are 8-3  Now you can't slip up even once against a team like say UNI in the UniDome.  And who's to say you win even one against NDSU, SD, and SDSU? Then if you lose even one more and 7-4 and you're out of the playoffs. 
We are better off waiting for Akron and Kent and Buffalo to go broke trying to stay Div 1A, and want to drop back and form a new Great Lakes Conference with those 4 teams as a core. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
Would love to play Akron,Kent,Ohio,BG rather than Bobby Morris or CCSU.  I'd do a 2 for 1 with us getting one year to their two at their place.   I accept the fact that they're FBS and we're FCS.  Additionally, YSU could get more exposure if these games are on ESPN, on a Thursday night.

I believe this discussion has come up a few years back. It was suggested that the big donors wanted an extra home game.

Since FBS teams would not come to play at FCS schools, we had to schedule D2 or lower ranked FCS schools (CCSU, RMU, Duquense, Dayton, Butler....).

I don't know if we could ever get a home/home series with the MAC teams or any FBS teams.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 02:43:47 PM »
No mac team will play us, because they know their chances of losing the game are high.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 04:32:58 PM »

I believe this discussion has come up a few years back. It was suggested that the big donors wanted an extra home game.

Since FBS teams would not come to play at FCS schools, we had to schedule D2 or lower ranked FCS schools (CCSU, RMU, Duquense, Dayton, Butler....).

I don't know if we could ever get a home/home series with the MAC teams or any FBS teams.
Trust me, it isn't about FCS FBS or 1AA and 1A it's about MONEY.  You offer OSU enough money (we absolutely couldn't do it) but if you did they'd play in the Ice Castle!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 05:36:53 PM »
FBS really lacks meaning today.  More accurate are the P5 and G5 designations.  Weak G5 conference claims to superiority over top level FCS conferences dissolve quickly.  For example, NDSU (#48 in current Sagarin) is rated higher than any MAC program.  YSU at #82 is fourth in FCS and trails only Toledo, Western Michigan, and Northern Illinois from the MAC.  The juggernauts at Akron and at Kent are #142 and #168, respectively.  I long for the day when the P5 programs officially bolt and leave the G5 pretenders exposed for the frauds that they truly are.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 05:47:12 PM »
What are the non-conference schedules in 2018 and 2019?  Any updates or possibilities other then WVU next year?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 06:35:15 PM »
FBS really lacks meaning today.  More accurate are the P5 and G5 designations.  Weak G5 conference claims to superiority over top level FCS conferences dissolve quickly.  For example, NDSU (#48 in current Sagarin) is rated higher than any MAC program.  YSU at #82 is fourth in FCS and trails only Toledo, Western Michigan, and Northern Illinois from the MAC.  The juggernauts at Akron and at Kent are #142 and #168, respectively.  I long for the day when the P5 programs officially bolt and leave the G5 pretenders exposed for the frauds that they truly are.
Yes.
I remember reading on the Sargarin rating last year after our national champion game, YSU was rank pretty high. I think we were ranked above most of the MAC team, 1 BIG team and some Big East teams. I assume those rankings could still be found using Google.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
I agree ucfpengbuck and ysuguins4 I would rather play MAC schools. This has been discussed before. But ultimately, I can say I now know Akron has a moratorium on playing YSU. I'm guessing Kent would as well. We would have to play different MAC schools if we did.

At this point with the status all three programs as it is, they would be wise to not play us. Nothing to gain and everything to lose. A matter of time until they drop, problem for them is to figure out how to drop down gracefully.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »
Wick, your right on the money with these comments. 
You have FCS because the play for a championship and FBS who now also plays for a championship.  We need a new level between the P5 conferences and the limited scolarship teams like Dayton etc.