Author Topic: Hunter Wells Injury  (Read 16605 times)

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter Wells Injury
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 07:14:32 PM »
It should be a W in the column.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 10:15:19 AM »
I heard Hunter will miss the majority of the regular season if not all of it. So it will be Mays and Davis going forward. It will be interesting to see how teams will play us

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »
Terrible. See ya..

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
Speaking of his injury, I believe it happened when he scrambled on the 2nd and 4 play from the 20, but the play-by-play on YSU's site says Mays had already come into the game.  Can someone back me up on this, or was I not paying attention?  The play-by-play from the drive is below.

YOUNGSTOWN STATE drive start at 11:59.
1-10 YSU 06 McCaster, Tevin rush for 3 yards to the YSU9 (C. Rozeboom;Kellen Soulek).
2-7 YSU 09 McCaster, Tevin rush for 4 yards to the YSU13 (Jordan Brown;Chase Kern).
3-3 YSU 13 Wells, Hunter pass complete to Bailey, Alvin for 16 yards to the YSU29, 1ST DOWN YSU,
out-of-bounds (Jordan Brown).
1-10 YSU 29 Wells, Hunter pass complete to Turner, C. for 6 yards to the YSU35 (EricKleinschmit).
2-4 YSU 35 McCaster, Tevin rush for 6 yards to the YSU41, 1ST DOWN YSU (Chase Kern).
1-10 YSU 41 Wells, Hunter pass incomplete to St. Surin, S., QB hurry by C. Rozeboom.
2-10 YSU 41 Wells, Hunter pass complete to McCaster, Tevin for 3 yards to the YSU44 (C. Rozeboom;A.
Washington).
3-7 YSU 44 Mays, Nathan at QB for Youngstown State.
3-7 YSU 44 Mays, Nathan pass complete to Patterson, D. for 12 yards to the SDSU44, 1ST DOWN YSU (C.
Rozeboom;Jordan Brown).
1-10 Sdsu 44 McCaster, Tevin rush for 3 yards to the SDSU41 (Mason Leiseth;Nick Farina).
2-7 Sdsu 41 Mays, Nathan pass complete to Patterson, D. for 15 yards to the SDSU26, 1ST DOWN YSU
(EricKleinschmit).
1-10 Sdsu 26 Turner, C. rush for 6 yards to the SDSU20 (EricKleinschmit).
2-4 Sdsu 20 Mays, Nathan rush for 7 yards to the SDSU13, 1ST DOWN YSU (Elijah Wilson).
1-10 Sdsu 13 McCaster, Tevin rush for 7 yards to the SDSU6 (EricKleinschmit).
2-3 Sdsu 06 Turner, C. rush for 2 yards to the SDSU4 (Kellen Soulek).
3-1 Sdsu 04 Kuhn, Shane rush for no gain to the SDSU4 (Logan Backhaus).
4-1 Sdsu 04 Mays, Nathan rush for 4 yards to the SDSU0, 1ST DOWN YSU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 03:05

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 02:07:59 PM »
It was an incomplete pass. He was rolling out to his right and got tackled and landed on the same shoulder.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 02:35:22 PM »
It was an incomplete pass. He was rolling out to his right and got tackled and landed on the same shoulder.
That's what Bo said also.  Hunter seems to remain unconcerned, and certainly Bo thinks it's nothing.  Hope we get Wells back at least for NDSU.  We'll need all our weapons for the buffalos.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 03:52:23 PM »
I wish Wells nothing but the best, but I don't think that we can count on his return any time soon.  Anything we can receive from him going forward will be a bonus.  So our quarterback of 2018 is now the qb of 2017.  Can Mays pass effectively, including the long ball?  That has been a hot topic of debate.  We are about to find out.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 06:03:23 PM »
Can Mays pass effectively, including the long ball?  That has been a hot topic of debate.  We are about to find out.
Wick you bring up a good point. I think Mays has done a great job of filling in and a nice job on the short and intermediate throws. However, i dont think SDS was fully ready for him. The rest of the Conference will play him accordingly untill he can show he can hit the deep balls with consistency and accuracy. Needless to say #5 and #4  our deep play threats and we have the line that will give him the time. A coach once told me if you dont have a quarterback that can throw deep you dont have a quarterback at all. Between Davis and Mays..I think Ricky throws it better
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:27:17 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 09:05:44 AM »
Can Mays pass effectively, including the long ball?  That has been a hot topic of debate.  We are about to find out.
Wick you bring up a good point. I think Mays has done a great job of filling in and a nice job on the short and intermediate throws. However, i dont think SDS was fully ready for him. The rest of the Conference will play him accordingly untill he can show he can hit the deep balls with consistency and accuracy. Needless to say #5 and #4  our deep play threats and we have the line that will give him the time. A coach once told me if you dont have a quarterback that can throw deep you dont have a quarterback at all. Between Davis and Mays..I think Ricky throws it better
Both of you (wick & fever) are right to the critical point. Mays had done an admirable job filling in, and he scrambled for a couple of really important 1st downs against SDSU.  But the only time he went even midrange down field, he had a wide open guy in the end zone and came up a good 8 yards short for an INT.  Basically he is good for about 8-10 yards max, and that will really allow a defense to come up and pressure the run.  SDSU was prepared for Hunter not Nate, USD will be ready.  That being said, Saturday the OL had a great game against what looked like a pretty good D coming in, and if you can get 4-5 yds. on 1st down, you can dunk and dink and scramble your way to a bunch of 1st downs and win football games.  I think Saturday comes down to our D and the USD QB.  If we can keep him in check, we should win. 
Does anybody disagree that even with Rivers & Moss gone, the defense looks better this year than last?  Gibson has been a HUGE addition!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 09:29:14 AM »
Agree on defense...much more balanced this year. Weaknesses are not as obvious for opposing DC's to find. I do not see Davis as a better passer than Mays; but that may not be the case on the long ball. I do see Davis as a better runner. Both are natural drop-back guys. Mays has better ball placement, as his 74% completion percentage will attest, that is why he will start.

PS: I suspect that Mays has very good deep ball ability; at least he certainly does in camp. How much do you think the run game played into last week? Maybe Monty did not want Mays to throw because it was not needed.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 09:32:20 AM »
Both of you (wick & fever) are right to the critical point. Mays had done an admirable job filling in, and he scrambled for a couple of really important 1st downs against SDSU.  But the only time he went even midrange down field, he had a wide open guy in the end zone and came up a good 8 yards short for an INT.  Basically he is good for about 8-10 yards max, and that will really allow a defense to come up and pressure the run.  SDSU was prepared for Hunter not Nate, USD will be ready.  That being said, Saturday the OL had a great game against what looked like a pretty good D coming in, and if you can get 4-5 yds. on 1st down, you can dunk and dink and scramble your way to a bunch of 1st downs and win football games.  I think Saturday comes down to our D and the USD QB.  If we can keep him in check, we should win. 
Does anybody disagree that even with Rivers & Moss gone, the defense looks better this year than last?  Gibson has been a HUGE addition!

I agree with you, Go.
I was at the game on last Saturday. Mays did a good job moving the ball up and down the field. However, he could only find receivers within 10 yards of the LOS. He either did not feel comfortable throwing a deep ball or looking for a deep receiver (or might be the coaches did not have the confidence to call the plays).

As for the D, I am impressed with the progress of the secondary. Our front four could not pressured the QB all night. Their QB had all kind of time to look for open receivers, but he had trouble finding them. This is because of our CB and Safeties were doing a good job covering them. Let us don't forget this QB is rated highly for the next level.

Let us hope Mays will improve on throwing the deep balls (or coaches will call the plays). With Hunter being sidelined, we need Mays to step up.

Let us hope that Hunter can come back soon.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »
Mays doesn't have the arm strength.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »
wrote a nice response to ET and lost it when "timed out"  Mays went down field only once.  To Durden wide open in endzone and under threw it by at least 8 yards for INT.  He can't throw much at all.  Truth be know, he had a couple scrambles for longer first downs that kept a couple long drives alive vs SDSU, but passing beyond 5 yards is very iffy. 
If we can get 4 yards on 1st down, we'll be able to run or dink & dunk our way down the field, if not, we'll be in trouble.  Key to USD is our OL vs their DL and LBs on 1st down.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2017, 12:40:06 PM »
At the conclusion of spring ball, Bo suggested that the defense would be faster and would have more depth. Hannon stated that Carl told him that the defense would actually be better than last season.  So far this looks right on the mark.

I agree that Mays is struggling to find receivers well down the field.  Perhaps that is a trait that is common to inexperienced quarterbacks, and perhaps he will improve over time.  But time to develop is at a premium in the MVFC.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 02:46:09 PM »

Wow.  Mays was in for 5 plays before I realized it, and I wasn't even drinking.  Hope they let Hunter heal up a little more before they bring him back again.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:33:34 AM by IAA Fan »