Author Topic: WKBN and local radio  (Read 19399 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
WKBN and local radio
« on: September 03, 2017, 12:18:45 PM »
What happened to the Sports wrap show on 570.  I loved listening to after game incite and Bob Hannon would call in
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: WKBN and local radio
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »
I listened to it & then they cut ti highlights so I shut it off.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »
The show wasn't on.  What a bunch of boobs.  No coverage and a high level of local and national interest.  Instead we get a liberal politics show.  Gag me.  I don't give a sh** if the Cleveland Indians mascot offends people.  Go f*** yourself if it does because if that bothers you you are good for nothing and the guy running the show if a faggot.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »
Local coverage is a joke.

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
Ditto Power  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 05:49:12 PM »
I believe that WKBN cancelled that show several months ago.  It was mostly worthless anyway.  Only time they discussed YSU was when Hannon checked in. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
I believe that WKBN cancelled that show several months ago.  It was mostly worthless anyway.  Only time they discussed YSU was when Hannon checked in.

That was the only good part.  Hannon.  I listened at noon when he checked in

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 01:15:51 AM »
actually I like the new radio show on sundays , it provides a healthy counterpoint to the official state propaganda that all good party members are expected to support. Wasnt completely sold on sports wrap because they didnt spend more time on YSU and hardly any time on phantoms hockey which is one of the best and most impactful sports attractions in our community. Who is Kyle Conner and why is he important to Youngstown and the NHL?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 08:31:59 AM »
 phantoms hockey which is one of the best and most impactful sports attractions in our community.

Maybe for the couple hundred people attending, but perhaps you and I don't agree on what "impacktful" means.  at least to me, phantoms hockey is making a big fat -0- impact in the community.  go to the mall, ask 100 people if the phantoms are playing now or in the off season, there won't be 6 people know for sure.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »
I actually feel sorry for the investors who are working very hard to promote this hockey team.  Few care.  It must be frustrating beyond imagination.  The only way hockey could become important in Youngstown is if YSU developed a legitimate DI team.  Won't ever happen for financial and Title IX reasons.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 01:58:36 PM »
I actually feel sorry for the investors who are working very hard to promote this hockey team.  Few care.  It must be frustrating beyond imagination.  The only way hockey could become important in Youngstown is if YSU developed a legitimate DI team.  Won't ever happen for financial and Title IX reasons.
You're right, hockey means nothing in the valley and financial and Title IX will kill any thoughts of YSU hockey, but if they did, it still wouldn't mean "squat"  YSU is national championship caliber football, and we'll have thousands of empty seats Saturday.  Good grief, some country stiff named Zak Brown will probably outdraw the Quins.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 02:04:06 PM »
I love hockey but it'll never have an impact in Youngstown.

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 06:42:47 PM »
I was referring to impact in a larger sense than what grabs the attention of the average  Y town fan. Kyle Conner who played for the phantoms was a first round NHL draft pick, we dont see that sort of thing coming out of Y Town very often. That is huge. Hockey fans accross North America knew who Kyle Conner is and who the Y Town Phantoms are. That is huge. The USHL is a Tier I Jr league., the players are highly talented. When the Penguins were first formed in Pittsburgh, no one came for decades. I think you under estimate local  fan interest in hockey and the Phantoms. Interest in a sport increases with promotion and discussion and that is my original gripe with Sports Wrap either they were uninterested or just to lazy to find out more about hockey, local  and national.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »
I was referring to impact in a larger sense than what grabs the attention of the average  Y town fan. Kyle Conner who played for the phantoms was a first round NHL draft pick, we dont see that sort of thing coming out of Y Town very often. That is huge. Hockey fans accross North America knew who Kyle Conner is and who the Y Town Phantoms are. That is huge. The USHL is a Tier I Jr league., the players are highly talented. When the Penguins were first formed in Pittsburgh, no one came for decades. I think you under estimate local  fan interest in hockey and the Phantoms. Interest in a sport increases with promotion and discussion and that is my original gripe with Sports Wrap either they were uninterested or just to lazy to find out more about hockey, local  and national.

If you interviewed every single fan at the football game saturday (by definition, sports fans) you wouldn't get 25 that know who Kyle Conner is.  That is about one tenth of one percent of the fans.  NOBODY cares in the community.  The same fans would have the same percentage of the best players for the Scrappers.  It is minor league.  That is why it is so important for YSU to maintain it's national championship level play in football.  You think anybody in Pittsburgh knows who the best players are for Duquesne?  Nope, me neither.

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 01:12:04 AM »
Not sure what your point is , Ive never surveyed fans at a YSU football game about Kyle Conner (and I bet you havent either now have you?)   BUT if we surveyed a hockey crowd they might not know who Derek Rivers is . What does that prove? It proves we have a very parochial fan base (and I dont mean they only support Catholic Schools). They havent been challanged or encouraged to broaden their sports interests. And then we have a show calling itself sports wrap that caters to their parochialism. By the way Ive been to most of the Phantoms home games and I would estimate 30,000+ in attendance for last season. That is almost as much as YSU's football home attendance and certainly more that YSU basketball. Doesnt sound like a big "0" impact to me.