Author Topic: WKBN and local radio  (Read 19259 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: WKBN and local radio
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 08:44:15 AM »
Not sure what your point is , Ive never surveyed fans at a YSU football game about Kyle Conner (and I bet you havent either now have you?)   BUT if we surveyed a hockey crowd they might not know who Derek Rivers is . What does that prove? It proves we have a very parochial fan base (and I dont mean they only support Catholic Schools). They havent been challanged or encouraged to broaden their sports interests. And then we have a show calling itself sports wrap that caters to their parochialism. By the way Ive been to most of the Phantoms home games and I would estimate 30,000+ in attendance for last season. That is almost as much as YSU's football home attendance and certainly more that YSU basketball. Doesnt sound like a big "0" impact to me.
If your argument is hockey fans don't know any more about football than football fans know about hockey, they I think you are wrong.  If you think the number of hockey fans is even remotely close the number of football fans in the valley they you aren't worthy of further discussion.
Parochial fan base?  What are you some kind of academic nut case?  We like what we like.  We don't need challenged by a foreign sport that has been around for decades and proven to have a very narrow fan base.  While dedicated, hockey fans are so few that the sport has no main stream interest.  AND title IX virtually provides a government ban on hockey in schools, so there is no future.  Sorry, but I'm out.  I can't waste any more time on hockey when the Tribe is at 15 wins and football is kicking off!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 10:07:05 AM »
I think I see the problem. Nice talking to you.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 10:27:38 AM »
People think that football is such a big hit with the community of Youngstown when it's really not. Sad but true. Especially when you have 2 home playoff games and can't even get 10k people in the stands. Some people are still stuck in the early 90's thinking.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 10:46:09 AM »
People think that football is such a big hit with the community of Youngstown when it's really not. Sad but true. Especially when you have 2 home playoff games and can't even get 10k people in the stands. Some people are still stuck in the early 90's thinking.
The extra effort required to attend playoff games has always been an issue.  Even back in the 90's; you can look it up. But football is still #1 leisure activity in the valley, the state and the country. That is simply undeniable.  While I personally profess that the high point of football was the day Junior Seau killed himself, it is still far and away #1.  In 25 years we will look back on football as we do boxing, horse racing and tennis due to the head trauma issues, right now its still #1.  Some of these nut hockey fans are trying to talk up hockey when it isn’t #2 or #3 or #22 for that matter.  Good grief, walking in the mall is more popular than hockey. 

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 12:34:08 PM »
So why not a hockey team for you, lots of other smaller schools manage to have hockey teams. I think we are in agreement that the interest and desire is there. Then how about a curling team?

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »
The extra effort required to attend playoff games has always been an issue.  Even back in the 90's; you can look it up. But football is still #1 leisure activity in the valley, the state and the country. That is simply undeniable.  While I personally profess that the high point of football was the day Junior Seau killed himself, it is still far and away #1.  In 25 years we will look back on football as we do boxing, horse racing and tennis due to the head trauma issues, right now its still #1.  Some of these nut hockey fans are trying to talk up hockey when it isn’t #2 or #3 or #22 for that matter.  Good grief, walking in the mall is more popular than hockey.

#22? Wow are you out of touch.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 01:41:27 PM »

#22? Wow are you out of touch.

He really is. Hockey isn't for everyone, and that's fine. Just like football isn't for everyone. But the interest in hockey is there. Maybe not in your world, but it's there.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »
Nobody cares about Hockey if you think it's so good donate cash to start a program so 45 people show up.  This thread is about the local YSU sports coverage. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 11:15:34 PM »
Nobody cares about Hockey if you think it's so good donate cash to start a program so 45 people show up.  This thread is about the local YSU sports coverage.

So Sassy!

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2017, 11:02:28 AM »
YSU has had a "club" hockey team for years. So we are talking about YSU sports. And for my parochial friend (and Im not talking about someone who supports Catholic school athletics) Robert Morris has had an NCAA Div I hockey team since 2003. I really think your afraid hockey could become popular after all it's one of those "foreign" sports all the way from the foreign and exotic land of Canada. Which sport by the way isnt foreign either in its current form or its original form? Oh . sorry for sounding like an "academic nut case", sometimes I find it necessary to speak in more than one syllable. I'll try to tone it down for you. Football.......good, Hockey........bad. How's that?

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »
Football is King.  Deal with it how's that. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 09:45:46 PM »
YSUGO THAT'S PRETTY LAME . football IS KING.....NOBODY IS SAYING IT ISNT ! But there are other sports that lots and lots of people are just as fanatic about. You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of tired old republican xenophobes . Trying to communicate with you is like trying to teach algebra to a chimpanzee, you are stuck in your ways and everybody is going to do it your way because you're....... what .......a tired old bunch of xenophobes? I don't think so. So you don't like hockey, who gives a rat's behind ? Apparently the rest of the world didnt get the memo. Take your medicine, go to a Klan meeting or just grow up but save yourself the embarrassment of a post like that.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 09:45:24 AM »
YSUGO THAT'S PRETTY LAME . football IS KING.....NOBODY IS SAYING IT ISNT ! But there are other sports that lots and lots of people are just as fanatic about. You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of tired old republican xenophobes . Trying to communicate with you is like trying to teach algebra to a chimpanzee, you are stuck in your ways and everybody is going to do it your way because you're....... what .......a tired old bunch of xenophobes? I don't think so. So you don't like hockey, who gives a rat's behind ? Apparently the rest of the world didnt get the memo. Take your medicine, go to a Klan meeting or just grow up but save yourself the embarrassment of a post like that.
YOU ARE TRYING TO TEACH US??? YOU ARAGOUNT ASS!
"But there are other sports that lots and lots of people are just as fanatic about."  Change "lots and lots" to 6 and you might have it right.
You sound like a liberal smuck that would believe the world was flat if MSNBC told you it was.  Can't read or think for yourself. 

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 12:31:29 PM »
Yes I am. It didn't start off that way but you quickly demonstrated your ignorance. I didn't realize that you would fight so hard to stay ignorant or to think you were beyond learning something. You conservatives can dish it out but you can't take it. Please believe whatever you want to believe the opinion of one cranky old geezer isn't going to matter much.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 02:12:01 PM »
Yes I am. It didn't start off that way but you quickly demonstrated your ignorance. I didn't realize that you would fight so hard to stay ignorant or to think you were beyond learning something. You conservatives can dish it out but you can't take it. Please believe whatever you want to believe the opinion of one cranky old geezer isn't going to matter much.
My ignorance of the vast popularity of ice hockey?  You're kidding, right?  Next time you are down watching the phantoms, say hi to your 6 friends in attendance and find someone who cares.  This blog is devoted to YSU sports and they play all the ones anybody gives a sh** about.  FB, MBB, WBB, TRACK, GOLF, even BOWLING!  Anything that anybody gives a damn about has a YSU team.  Enjoy your delusional life as a liberal hockey puck, and my condolences to your family who must be in tears watching you waste your life away following hockey.