Author Topic: Prediction 2017: How many W's? Playoffs? Frisco?  (Read 6756 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Prediction 2017: How many W's? Playoffs? Frisco?
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:16:43 PM »
8 wins. Playoffs yes!   Getting back to Frisco takes some luck and staying healthy!  We got a taste of it but damn but I think the Pelini bro's can pull it off .... Frisco here we come!!!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Prediction 2017: How many W's? Playoffs? Frisco?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:45:23 PM »
How competitive we can be at Pitt will give us the early indication about the ceiling for this team.  It should help that NDSU and SDSU are at home.  7 wins gets us in; 8 wins seems quite possible.  After that so much depends upon the whims of the selection committee.  I still can't believe how weak our side of the bracket was last season, with NDSU, SDSU, Villanova, and James Madison all placed on the other side.  It would help again if we were placed in the pool with teams that play no defense (Eastern Washington and Jacksonville State.)  I don't care how potent their offenses might be.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 12:07:07 AM »
Not really sure what to expect from the defense. Offense should be okay as long as McCaster and Alessi can handle the load. I will guess an at large playoff bid but not expecting a deep playoff run like last year.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:03:01 PM »
I'm getting excited; the Pitt game is rapidity approaching!! This season will depend a lot on our offensive line. They must be able to pass-protect Wells because frankly he is not good at scrambling!! The O.L. must create holes for our running backs. The defensive unit is suspect and especially the secondary.

The offensive needs to average 28+ points/game. The Pitt game will give us a good view of our strengths and our weaknesses. Then it's up to the coaching staff to make the modifications. After the Pitt game; we have 2 cream puff games that allow the staff to get things in order.

I believe the team should win a minimum of 7 games and probably get an at large bid, but there are many unknowns until you actuality play against your competitors. We will all see in 2 weeks.   

GO PENGUINS   

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 05:09:42 PM »
8 wins and playoffs if we stay healthy and clean..James Madison is off to a bad start with 6 players suspended

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 08:30:31 AM »
8 wins and playoffs with 1 condition. We must be able to generate a pass rush only using 4 lineman at least some of the times. The corners need help IMO and I don't like the idea of them "being on an island" until we see something from them.

We win whatever playoff games we get at home and eventually drop a road contest to the eventual National Champs.

Best win - Pitt
Most painful loss - at UNI

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 08:46:40 AM »
9 wins minimum.  p;ayoffs for sure.  BUT, I'm with Happy, we have to generate pass rush with 4 guys upfront. 
National Championship factor of health and who's hot at the right time, but I don't think teams will be lining up wanting to play YSU come winter!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline 2000YSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »
This football team is capable of a 9 win season. Those 9 wins all hinge on the ability of our defense to get stops. This defense doesn't have to be the best we have ever seen just play complimentary football. As for the playoffs no doubt we are in and there is potential for a deep playoff run and trip to Frisco. However to get there we are going to need a little help from the selection committee and some luck. It is more likely that this year we win one or two playoff games, but after last year I learned "never say never" and I think this football team and the coaching staff can pull it off again! So yes if all goes well we could very well see another trip to Frisco!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:08:06 PM by 2000YSU »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »
Just don't see Frisco this year. Hopefully I'm proven wrong...

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 03:10:02 PM »
This football team is capable of a 9 win season. Those 9 wins all hinge on the ability of our defense to get stops. This defense doesn't have to be the best we have ever seen just play complimentary football. As for the playoffs no doubt we are in and there is potential for a deep playoff run and trip to Frisco. However to get there we are going to need a little help from the selection committee and some luck. It is more likely that this year we win one or two playoff games, but after last year I learned "never say never" and I think this football team and the coaching staff can pull it off again! So yes if all goes well we could very well see another trip to Frisco!

I don't think any of us saw it last year and look how that turned out!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 07:30:11 PM »
Moss and Rivers were special and caused a lot of problems.  Against EW the second team showed that they were very good.  I like the mentality of the players and haven't heard that from them in years.  Read the newspaper articles and you can see it, we finally have a true team.  That will get us some wins we may not deserve.  When they play for each other special things happen......many of us have seen that before.  We should be good and I expect that since Pelini is all about developing the depth we should expect to gain momentum as the less experienced players gain experience throughout the season.  The good thing we have going into this fall is that the team came together last year and figured it out and the time off from Spring was short.  They took that momentum into the spring and hopefully they've learned that you win as a team (which Wolford couldn't figure out).  They probably understand there is also some luck that goes into it too.  But they are playing for each other and that matters in this game. Hopefully they can build on that momentum.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:31:26 PM by penguinpower »