Author Topic: Football Practice  (Read 18313 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football Practice
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 08:44:35 PM »
Yo..Patterson, Bailey, and Scott are all big time recievers and showed that during the playoff run last year it has nothing to do with our secondary. The passing game this year will open up the run game just as it did last year..This offense will put up some big numbers..thanks for the countdown!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 09:11:15 PM »
Your welcome! I have admittedly, missed a few day on the countdown occasionally. I have alot of expectations for our receiver corps. It does appear to be the best we have had in years.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 09:12:06 PM »
I agree. Passing game should be solid. Louigene and Chapman have been starting DE's for the most part. Reed still working on getting comfortable with the system.

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 07:02:13 AM »
I must be late to the party but, I just saw that Trent Hosick is listed as a safety.   Is it because his shoulder won't let him throw anymore?  Is he actually practicing at safety or just another body back there at practice.  Since he transferred,  he always has seemed like a good kid.  Go Guins!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 08:07:44 AM »
thanks for posting the video Fever. The real question I have now, with all the receiving discussed as having looked good in camp, it makes me wonder, have they been good or the CBs been bad  :-[?
THAT is the question.  Will take game action to answer.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 09:32:36 AM »
I must be late to the party but, I just saw that Trent Hosick is listed as a safety.   Is it because his shoulder won't let him throw anymore?  Is he actually practicing at safety or just another body back there at practice.  Since he transferred,  he always has seemed like a good kid.  Go Guins!

Yeah, once he broke his collarbone pretty badly he was passed on the depth chart by Hunter and Nathan. He won't see the field as a safety. Only a practice body at this point.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »
Hosick said several months ago that it was September at the earliest for any throwing. Not certain if that is still the case, but it seems so. One thing that I will be looking for engaged he allows his coaches to be with the media ....especially the coordinators. He likes to keep them "under-wraps" and I am not certain if it a lack of confidence or just Bo's nature. After last year, they way we adapted on both sides of the ball, Bo has to have a good sense of confidence. I know that Bo is not that way in practice, he let's his coaches earn their paychecks.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 10:46:47 AM »
I would feel much better if we would have kept Ricky or Trent at quarterback for depth purposes . Keep in mind this is the year we want Mays as the back-up because he is the future. Several athletic quarterbacks in college have made the transition to WR or secondary. Wouldn't put it past Ricky or Trent if they play some this year

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 11:19:37 AM »
I would feel much better if we would have kept Ricky or Trent at quarterback for depth purposes . Keep in mind this is the year we want Mays as the back-up because he is the future. Several athletic quarterbacks in college have made the transition to WR or secondary. Wouldn't put it past Ricky or Trent if they play some this year
In previous reports from the spring, both Ricky and Trent believe they wouldn't have much chance of seeing the field at QB and wanted to be on the field.  You can't fault them for wanting to play as seniors.  If Hunter goes down, it wouldn't take much to move 1 or both back behind Mays.  The only issue I see here is Hosick's injury will limit his ability to hit at safety as well as throw.  I don't see him playing.  Funny thing, but as an athlete, I suspect Hosick is the best of the whole bunch.  The big eyes he had going to Missouri was a bad decision.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 12:12:14 PM »
Check out @Brian_Dzenis's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Brian_Dzenis/status/896034891338592261?s=09 Need to get the corners figured out   

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »
Offense is always going to have the upper hand in practice. Especially when you have to replace the pieces in the secondary like we have to.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »
http://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/releases/20170812kah2uv Did anyone go to the scrimmage yesterday that can provide details? Sounds like a good goal line stand by the D on three straight running plays

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 12:56:39 PM »
I wasn't there but from what I heard some tidbits:

The RB's are going to be just fine. McCaster and Alessi will carry the bulk. Mix in some McNutt and Christian Turner, the freshman who the coaches love.

Offensive line from what I hear is set barring injury with Spencer, Wiggins, Hy, Sharp, Fraser.

Reed, the florida transfer is still running with the 2's as of now trying to get used to the system. Our DT's and LB's are stacked. D-Line as a whole, especially in the middle is pretty deep and talented. There is competition to see who the starting corner's will be. Larkin, Smalls, Hall, Thomas. That's the biggest area of concern.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 12:30:08 PM »
http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/15/secondary-battle/?newswatch&mobile This is certainly good news
"Interesting" that the coaches both talked about safety and nickel back, but didn't seem to notice they have to get a couple CBs out there too!  They are making me more nervous, not less!