Author Topic: Pitt Game  (Read 80141 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt Game
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »
This Pitt team is terrible and this was such a winnable game. The days of playing these FBS games just for a money grab are over. We should be playing to win now. Hunter made some good throws I expect a senior to make. Also threw a pass to nobody in OT to lose the game... That stings. Kudos to the defense for holding strong in the 2nd half.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2017, 05:05:19 PM »
Sad part the game was lost in the first half.  We should have easily had 10 points in first half.   Still overall I thought we played well.  Had way to loose though! 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2017, 05:10:05 PM »
Sad part the game was lost in the first half.  We should have easily had 10 points in first half.   Still overall I thought we played well.  Had way to loose though!

The overthrow by Hunter on 3rd down killed us and then obviously the missed FG.

Offline guins4444

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2017, 05:19:35 PM »
In sum, what a tale of two halves. Enough disgruntled fans have commented on the negatives, and can't seem to find the slightest amount of optimism from this game. Great adjustments made my the O and D in the second half. Folks want to comment on how Pitt was lethargic in the second half, well maybe, just maybe YSU had something to do with how Pitt looked. The D looked great in the second half. After the piss-poor pooch punt that was blocked, our D showed that it has the ability to bear down and be stingy when placed in a far from ideal situation brought upon them by a special teams miscue.

The Pitt WR made a hell of a catch in OT to win it; nicely defended by who I think was our true frosh CB, Gibson. Speaking of True Frosh, how about Christian Turner? The boy has some hands out of the backfield.

It certainly wasn't an ideal finish, but sweet lord, who in there right mind thought we would score 21 unanswered in the second half and hold Pitt to 0 second half points. We all know Wells should've thrown that ball away… it certainly stings to think we let a winnable ball game vs. an FBS opponent go to waste. I like winning as much as anyone, but this game shows that winning should be a theme this year.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2017, 06:16:41 PM »
This Pitt team is terrible and this was such a winnable game. The days of playing these FBS games just for a money grab are over. We should be playing to win now. Hunter made some good throws I expect a senior to make. Also threw a pass to nobody in OT to lose the game... That stings. Kudos to the defense for holding strong in the 2nd half.
They may be terrible but all the oddsmakers had this game as an easy blowout victory for Pitt---no such thing as a moral victory imho but taking Pitt to OT isn't all that shabby in my eyes.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2017, 08:09:40 PM »
I came by very impressed with Turner. He is on the road to be the next great YSU RB. Rader was great catching passes all game long. Reed seemed to cement himself as a starter and flashed that for sure D1 talent (Bonehead penalty aside). Really like Powell at safety as well.

Just can't fathom why you even pass the ball down there when he threw the pick, ugh. That's not a very good Pitt team. Should have been an easy win.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:20:24 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2017, 09:57:32 PM »
I have not felt this conflicted since we came from 28 points down to tie the 1992 championship game only to lose at the end.  All losses stink, but there are undeniably positive elements to this performance.

Pitt receivers are good but our secondary played exceptionally well.  It took that fine catch to beat us.

The defensive front was just a shadow of last year's edition, and they got manhandled in the first half. Did any of you really expect the turnaround from these guys after halftime?  Definitely something to build upon.

Over 100 yards rushing for the game seems inadequate until you realize that we stood (according to tv) at -1 at halftime.  The combination of McCaster and Turner will work out fine.

On the replay of their overtime td shot from behind the quarterback, did you all see one of the Pitt lineman grabbing at the helmet or the face of our pass rusher (maybe Reed?)  We are not going to get that call on the road but it would have changed everything.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »
This loss to me is meaningless in the scheme of what FCS is about.  We have come a long way from when Heacock treated these games as a pain in his ass.  Pelini has us on the right path.  Let's enjoy the ride!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »
This loss to me is meaningless in the scheme of what FCS is about.  We have come a long way from when Heacock treated these games as a pain in his ass.  Pelini has us on the right path.  Let's enjoy the ride!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2017, 10:47:13 PM »
Our depth was on full display.  Just like last year, we came on late in the game.  That is an excellent sign...the heart of a champion type of stuff.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:49:09 PM by penguinpower »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2017, 10:48:55 PM »
Hunter actually played pretty well. The ftwo passes floated to Bailey and the two bullets fired to Turner hitting him in stride were a thing of beauty.
However, the overshot to a wide open receiver (who could have scored) in the first half and the Interception at end of the game were really bad. I was sitting on the visitor's side looking right at the wide open receiver across the field in the end zone waving his arms trying to get Hunter's attention. There weren't any defenders within 15 yards of him. He must have waived for over 5 seconds, but Hunter never looked. He locked on to the receiver in the post (being tripled covered) and he never surveyed other receivers.
In the past, I have been critical of him about Locking onto primary receiver and never looked for secondary receivers. Apparently, he has not improved on that part of the game.
We have committed too many penalties.  Two plays really killed our momentum.... The quick quick and letting their QB scrambled for 14 yards on a second and 15 play.
Unfortunately, if our offense did not make couple stupid penalties causing us two potential field goals in the first half, we probably could have won the game.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2017, 10:50:49 PM »
Hunter actually played pretty well. The ftwo passes floated to Bailey and the two bullets fired to Turner hitting him in stride were a thing of beauty.
However, the overshot to a wide open receiver (who could have scored) in the first half and the Interception at end of the game were really bad. I was sitting on the visitor's side looking right at the wide open receiver across the field in the end zone waving his arms trying to get Hunter's attention. There weren't any defenders within 15 yards of him. He must have waived for over 5 seconds, but Hunter never looked. He locked on to the receiver in the post (being tripled covered) and he never surveyed other receivers.
In the past, I have been critical of him about Locking onto primary receiver and never looked for secondary receivers. Apparently, he has not improved on that part of the game.
We have committed too many penalties.  Two plays really killed our momentum.... The quick quick and letting their QB scrambled for 14 yards on a second and 15 play.
Unfortunately, if our offense did not make couple stupid penalties causing us two potential field goals in the first half, we probably could have won the game.

On the penalty they called an illegal block in the back they face-masked the RB.  No call.  Check out this stat:  They didn't have a single penalty.  ACC refs.   Got to beat them too.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2017, 11:04:50 PM »
Much much more of an issue was the fact that Pitt never punted in the first half. We need a TB. Wells was awesome today, but made mistakes clearly. Reminded me of Jaws, crisp low passes. Always in the safe area. Adjustments on both sides we good. We havd a lot of work to do, but such a good game.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2017, 11:11:37 PM »

On the penalty they called an illegal block in the back they face-masked the RB.  No call.  Check out this stat:  They didn't have a single penalty.  ACC refs.   Got to beat them too.
Yes. I noticed that too, no penalty call on Pitt. The roughing the passer call was also marginal. Intentional grounding call on Hunter also killed our one drive.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #164 on: September 02, 2017, 11:12:12 PM »
He lost us the game.
Biggest bunch of BS I ever read. How about 21 unanswered points against ysu in the first half? We never even forced a single punt. The game NEVER rides on one play. Hey 0-0 at the half and we win this game 21-0.