Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!  (Read 126041 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!
« Reply #195 on: August 09, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »
Double E.T. there NOT petitioning to get rid of Bo.. I just think some that are signing against Ma'lik have Bo's comments towards Nebraska's A.D. in the back of their mind

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2017, 04:56:25 PM »
Double E.T. there NOT petitioning to get rid of Bo.. I just think some that are signing against Ma'lik have Bo's comments towards Nebraska's A.D. in the back of their mind
If you are going to let students and community activitists pick the players on the team, why would we want to keep Bo to coach?  Let some of the petition signers coach too.  Doesn't that sound reasonable?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2017, 08:15:22 PM »
Statement from the University:

Youngstown State University takes the matter of sexual assault very seriously and continues to educate everyone within the campus community about the impact and prevention of sexual assault.
The University is fully aware of the gravity of the situation and of petitions that are circulating on social media in protest and support of one of our students, Ma’lik Richmond. We value the input of the entire YSU community and are committed to providing a safe learning environment and growth opportunities for all students, faculty and staff.
Ma’lik Richmond transferred to Youngstown State University in good standing from his prior institution for Fall 2016. After matriculating at YSU, he expressed a desire to try out for the football program. Ma’lik was advised by the coaching staff that if he integrated himself within the campus community academically and socially and completed the fall semester in good standing, further discussions could occur.
In January, Ma’lik again inquired about trying out for the team. At this time, he was permitted to participate on a tryout basis with the team, for winter workouts. At the conclusion of winter workouts, he was permitted to practice with the team as a walk-on from February to April. Ma’lik Richmond earned a spot on the 105-man roster on August 2 as a walk-on and is not receiving an athletic scholarship. He continues to be in good standing on the YSU campus.
YSU does not restrict any student’s ability to take part in extracurricular activities as long as they are in good standing with the institution. YSU believes that extracurricular activities assist in a student’s ability to succeed.
For the Fall 2017 football season, Ma’lik will not be permitted to compete in any games, but will continue to be a part of the football program as a practice player, forfeiting a year of eligibility. He will be given the opportunity to benefit from group participation, the lessons of hard work and discipline, as well as the camaraderie and guidance of the staff and teammates. He will also continue to work with the University’s director of student outreach and support who assists young men and women in becoming successful students and YSU graduates.
As a state university, YSU is fully committed to complying with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 which prohibits gender discrimination in education programs and activities, including sexual assault. The University has increased its efforts in the past years to inform, educate and prevent sexual assault and to provide services to victims of sexual assault. YSU is committed to eradicating sexual assault and educating our students beyond the classroom in order to be productive members of society.

ytowngirl

« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »
Well I guess the protestors win.  This kid will probably quit the team now.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2017, 09:28:46 PM »
So this ends up being a compromise. Lose a year of eligibility, remain in good standing and play next year

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2017, 09:36:30 PM »
People STILL aren't happy. Amazing...

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2017, 10:58:43 PM »
This sets a very bad precedent that might haunt the university in the future.  Never sacrifice principle to please the whims of the crowd. Compromises never satisfy intolerant people.  And for the fourth time I hate to be defending this guy.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2017, 11:01:16 PM »
People STILL aren't happy. Amazing...

Why would they be happy? To them, how dare the university follows their own policy and the laws to allow him to participate in university activities instead of kicking him out!

I am not sure he will lose a year of eligibility if he does not play this year (like being red shirted). I hope he can turn his life around. If that happens, YSU has done its job as an academic institution.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 10, 2017, 05:34:43 AM »
23 days

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2017, 05:09:51 AM »
22 days!

ytowngirl

« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2017, 09:53:05 AM »
If anyone has ESPN3.  They now have a MVFC Football channel.   Hopefully all YSU games will be on.  Pitt vs YSU is already showing as a game to stream. 

Offline NDSUSR

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2017, 08:54:13 PM »

He is a current student at YSU. YSU has the policy for EEO and non-discrimination (see university policy below)
Youngstown State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, age, religion or veteran/military status in its programs or activities. 

I read this three times and I don't see "previous violent criminal offenses" listed as one of the things YSU can't "discriminate" on.  If there is something illegal or against university policy for baring this kid from playing on the team, I haven't quite seen it yet.

The action has to be taken based on university rules and regulations rather than emotions. If he is kick off the football team for this, somebody will either issue another petition or file a law suit against the University for Race Discrimination because he (an African American) was singled out for exclusion. I would assume some of you people (who signed the original petition) would sign this one too.

As someone who signed the petition, I can assure you I won't be signing some other petition if he manages to get kicked off the team.  Suggesting as such is silly.

If you kick this kid off the team, it believe it will be discrimination, as I don't believe he has a criminal record.  He was convicted/plead guilty as a juvenile and served his time.  I assume that has been expunged from his record.  I do know his is NOT a registered sex offender based on age and current age that has expired. 
If you don’t have a policy against, then it is OK.  No policy against previous criminal records says it does NOT come into play.  You need a previously established, and regularly and evenly enforced a policy to avoid discrimination charges.   Even having the policy, if not enforced previously leaves you exposed to charges.
This subject needs dropped, this kid deserves our support for putting up with the Vindy hatchet job and hanging in trying to improve his life.

He actually is registered.

At the time he was sentenced, Lipps ordered Richmond to register his address every six months for the next 20 years.

Lipps on Friday reduced that requirement ordering Richmond instead to register his address with authorities once a year for the next decade.

http://www.cleveland.com/steubenville-rape-case/index.ssf/2014/11/judge_reduces_sex_offender_reg.html

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2017, 09:06:47 PM »
21 days!

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 12, 2017, 10:28:44 PM »

He is a current student at YSU. YSU has the policy for EEO and non-discrimination (see university policy below)
Youngstown State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, age, religion or veteran/military status in its programs or activities. 

I read this three times and I don't see "previous violent criminal offenses" listed as one of the things YSU can't "discriminate" on.  If there is something illegal or against university policy for baring this kid from playing on the team, I haven't quite seen it yet.

The action has to be taken based on university rules and regulations rather than emotions. If he is kick off the football team for this, somebody will either issue another petition or file a law suit against the University for Race Discrimination because he (an African American) was singled out for exclusion. I would assume some of you people (who signed the original petition) would sign this one too.

As someone who signed the petition, I can assure you I won't be signing some other petition if he manages to get kicked off the team.  Suggesting as such is silly.

If you kick this kid off the team, it believe it will be discrimination, as I don't believe he has a criminal record.  He was convicted/plead guilty as a juvenile and served his time.  I assume that has been expunged from his record.  I do know his is NOT a registered sex offender based on age and current age that has expired. 
If you don’t have a policy against, then it is OK.  No policy against previous criminal records says it does NOT come into play.  You need a previously established, and regularly and evenly enforced a policy to avoid discrimination charges.   Even having the policy, if not enforced previously leaves you exposed to charges.
This subject needs dropped, this kid deserves our support for putting up with the Vindy hatchet job and hanging in trying to improve his life.

He actually is registered.

At the time he was sentenced, Lipps ordered Richmond to register his address every six months for the next 20 years.

Lipps on Friday reduced that requirement ordering Richmond instead to register his address with authorities once a year for the next decade.

http://www.cleveland.com/steubenville-rape-case/index.ssf/2014/11/judge_reduces_sex_offender_reg.html

The article is from 2014

Offline NDSUSR

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2017, 10:44:59 PM »
Yes its from 2014.  You do understand what a decade is right?