Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!  (Read 126081 times)

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »
I am surprised how open everyone is to this kid playing here and how resigned people are to "he paid his debt".  Moreover, I don't really care if the petition is signed by students or other members of the YSU community (including alumni).  We all want to be proud of our institution and team as a representative of the larger YSU community.  It is hard to be proud of welcoming this person on the team. 

It may be a delicate situation, but there is certainly a significant level of tone deafness here between issues of rape culture on college campuses and, quite frankly, college football in general.  To me, there is much more to this than, "people make mistakes". 

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2017, 11:08:20 AM »
http://www.hudl.com/profile/5259949/deshon-taylor Here is a video of Deshon the incoming Juco transfer that Chief mentioned. I really like his size and think he can play multiple positions in the secondary and have an immediate impact..Good get!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2017, 11:55:29 AM »
http://www.hudl.com/profile/5259949/deshon-taylor Here is a video of Deshon the incoming Juco transfer that Chief mentioned. I really like his size and think he can play multiple positions in the secondary and have an immediate impact..Good get!!
Kid seems to be a hitter.  IMO that was the strength of Leroy Alexander, and we didn't seem to replace that until now.  I agree this is a good pick up!  Thanks for posting.
More fun to review HUDL tapes than talk about Richmond.  This trash about "everybody deserves a second chance", and then immediately say "but not Richmond" is hypocritical and I am tired of reading that type comment.  IF we want all previous sex offenders barred from YSU, then so be it, and if we want all persons with criminal records barred from YSU then so be it, but leave this kid alone or make new rules to be equally enforced.  This is outlandish treatment of an individual student who has, by all accounts, been a good citizen at YSU.  Good grief, everybody rallied in defense of the gun toting players last year.  They we shooting guns ON CAMPUS and nobody had a problem with that.  Unbelievable.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »
The kid did what Donald trump bragged about doing and we didn't have any trouble electing him president, give him a break he paid his debt

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2017, 12:24:34 PM »
The kid did what bDonald trump bragged aout doing and we didn't have any trouble electing him president, give him a break he paid his debt

"what bDonald trump bragged aout doing"  and that quote is what?  (I know, it has to be true, you read it on the Internet, didn't you?)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2017, 12:33:43 PM »
This story is now national....  It now appears on the sporting news with a pic of Bo..... The legal ramifications I would guess are immense either way.... The biggest joke is the liberal prick that wrote the garbage for the vinidocator suggesting this and the athletic budget are bargaining tools for the union at YSU..... Don't all liberals feel that everyone can be rehabilitated? The students and liberal faculty that preach this garbage is cutting their noses off in spite of there faces.... they certainly want it both ways as i see it!

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2017, 12:58:15 PM »
How is this a liberal/conservative thing? 

Moreover---the athletic budget, which doesn't have anything to do with the rapist on the team, is always at issue during union negotiations.  It is hard for it not to when the institution cries poor mouth about other things.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2017, 01:28:56 PM »
http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/06/gift-for-ysus-faculty/?mobile

Here is the liberal that made it political.....

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2017, 01:53:31 PM »
I don't know if I would call de Souza "liberal".  Maybe he is---I always just read him more of a curmudgeon.  And, quite honestly, don't read him anymore anyway.  This article does some gymnastics to relate the rapist to the budget.  I guess there is some connect in terms of accountability---but you didn't need this kid on the team to make most of these observations.

To be clear, this is political though.  I just don't see it as a liberal issue or a conservative one.  This is a PR disaster for the athletic department...one they willing embraced, apparently.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2017, 02:05:16 PM »
http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/06/gift-for-ysus-faculty/?mobile

Here is the liberal that made it political.....
So now Richmond is personally responsible for holding down the staff pay raises at YSU?  Hey Ed, how is God's name do you stand behind trash reporting like this?  IMO the Vindy is worse than the checkout tabloids in the grocery stores!   The Vindy clearly has some vendetta against Richmond, that is clear.   What is not clear is why, but in the interest of responsibly journalism, they ought to put their cards on the table.  The Vindy reporters are also union workers, so their support of union workers at YSU is reasonable, but they ought to point that out in the interest of full disclosure.  What bothers me the most is the using a young man who has played football his senior year for the SBR and his freshman year at YSU to make political points and is being completely trashed by reporting trying to attack YSU.  Why YSU and why NOW?  Only they Vindy editorial staff knows and I’ll bet you whatever they won’t say!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »
We are 26 days away.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2017, 02:52:24 PM »
de Souza is not a liberal.  He is an elitist columnist who hates Youngstown State University.  Apparently, he cannot stand the fact that YSU provides high quality undergraduate education to the children of working class families. He has been muted for the past three years as our school has attained success after success.  Now this fell into his lap and he is running with it like a young child playing with his new toys on Christmas morning. 

As others have noted, tying this unfortunate affair to the university budget and contract talks is absurd.  But he does not care; anything that fuels his hate-filled agenda is valuable to him.  He has been an embarrassment to the Vindicator and the community for many years.

Note: Ed is the sports editor and has zero influence over the editorial page.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2017, 02:59:54 PM »
de Souza is not a liberal.  He is an elitist columnist who hates Youngstown State University.  Apparently, he cannot stand the fact that YSU provides high quality undergraduate education to the children of working class families. He has been muted for the past three years as our school has attained success after success.  Now this fell into his lap and he is running with it like a young child playing with his new toys on Christmas morning. 

As others have noted, tying this unfortunate affair to the university budget and contract talks is absurd.  But he does not care; anything that fuels his hate-filled agenda is valuable to him.  He has been an embarrassment to the Vindicator and the community for many years.

Note: Ed is the sports editor and has zero influence over the editorial page.
I understand Ed Puskas doesn't control the editorial page, but he DID stand behind publishing the first Vindy article on Richmond on the 1st day of Fall Training Camp, which I called out as trash reporting, so I stand by my request for him to stand by this latest Vindy article which I think is completely OUTRAGIOUS. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
A dumb mistake is shooting a gun in the air or smoking pot and costing you and opportunity to play in the playoffs.  Rape is more than a dumb mistake.  Murder may be the only crime that is worse. 

He should have a chance to get his degree and move on with his life.  But football is a different story, he blew that opportunity.

There were a lot of dumb things done in that incident, and not just by him.

I am curious, why is football different? Why is that opportunity blown? Looking for facts and logic here.

If he plays chess should he be banned from the chess club? If he is a christian should he be barred from the chapel? Where do you draw the line?

People a lot smarter than us and way better informed on the facts made a legal decision. He paid the price.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2017, 08:19:50 PM »
How much press did this kid receive after he enrolled at YSU? If he hadn't  walked on to the playing field, would their still be a petition to prevent him from receiving an education only? Doubt it !