Author Topic: Campus Updates  (Read 73736 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Campus Updates
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2018, 10:42:06 AM »
Bids have been sent out for a new synthetic athletic field which will take the place of the M90 parking lot between Bryson and Elm which would be north of the WATTS across the bridge by the Lyden and Cafaro Houses. It will be named Cafaro Field. Then the Tennis Courts are being torn out and a new asphalt parking lot will go in extending the whole way from Elm to the east side stands of Stambaugh. A brand new indoor tennis center will be built on W Scott St next to the existing parking lot between W Scott and Grant street by where the soccer and softball stadium are now. It will have 6 indoor courts, locker rooms, bleachers, restrooms.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2018, 09:06:02 AM »
Great info Chief. I heard about the Cafaro request at the same time Farmer's Bank submitted. I still do not understand though Eastwood Field is a nice complex, but I do understand that the Scrappers are leaving & the Mall is expanding. Has anyone heard of a new location or are they leaving the valley? Does Cafaro still own the Eastwood Mall?

Thanks,
Dan

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2018, 09:47:36 AM »
Great info Chief. I heard about the Cafaro request at the same time Farmer's Bank submitted. I still do not understand though Eastwood Field is a nice complex, but I do understand that the Scrappers are leaving & the Mall is expanding. Has anyone heard of a new location or are they leaving the valley? Does Cafaro still own the Eastwood Mall?

Thanks,
Dan

I'm not sure I understand ? Scrappers are not leaving Eastwood. Neither are YSU baseball. Scrappers just signed a new contract to stay and they are upgrading the stadium this summer. This field being built on campus is just a synthetic grass field, like a football practice field. It will be used for inter murals and other events. No baseball stadium.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2018, 05:48:50 PM »
Great thanks again. I thought it was baseball

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2018, 06:10:30 PM »
Too bad, all sports should be played on campus.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »
They've looked into turning Harrison Field into a baseball stadium but not enough space.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »
Is this construction of the press box to be done by mid August?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2018, 07:15:19 PM »

Supposed to be, yes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:26:16 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2018, 10:01:40 PM »

Supposed to be, yes.
According to the article, it is supposed to be finished in Mid-August 2019. Did you guys have inside information that it is to be finished in 2018 instead?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2018, 10:43:09 PM »

Supposed to be, yes.
According to the article, it is supposed to be finished in Mid-August 2019. Did you guys have inside information that it is to be finished in 2018 instead?

Sorry, yes that's what I meant. Would be remarkable to finish in 2.5 months lol. Not sure if they'll have construction going during football season or not.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2018, 12:05:12 PM »
Construction starts soon. Will be done by mid august.

Thanks for the update.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2018, 12:32:39 PM »
Glad they are getting started!  Will be great addition to Stambaugh.  Now they can look at bathrooms, club seating etc. going forward.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2018, 07:45:24 PM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned but the plaza outside Beeghly Center is getting renovated as well this summer.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »
Pretty sure I'm at least among the oldest people on this site, but for those that go back at least a few decades the changes on the campus are remarkable.  EVERYTHING is better than I remember! (with the exception of the parking deck, which is the same crappy facility it has been for MANY years!)  I started in what looked more like an abandoned military installation set in a slum.  We now have a 1st rate university that actually helps with recruiting, not a barrier to be overcome!  If you've read my posts before, you know I think JT is simply great as University President, but many of the campus projects to which I refer had many sponsors and benefactors outside of Tressel.  IMO, ALL associated with YSU over the last 50 years have much to be proud of! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!