Author Topic: Campus Updates  (Read 73724 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Campus Updates
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2018, 09:40:11 AM »
BTW, I would be willing to bet that people from the plain states would be miserable if they spent a traditional winter in Ashtabula, Conneaut or Erie. During a year when the lake does not freeze until late, the moisture makes life just miserable. Most of the plain states have a much more dry cold. However, I do agree that once you get down in temp ...cold is cold.
Cold is cold.  Coldest days in Fargo could be dangerous for players and fans.  Don't forget, they call it the "plains" because there is nothing to stop the wind either!
The coldest Fargo days on record are:
10 Jan 1982   -38°F
1 Feb 1996   -37.1°F
30 Jan 2004   -36°F
16 Jan 1977   -35.1°F
29 Jan 1951   -35°F
Same for "dry heat".  I have a golf buddy, that when we were playing in Las Vegas at 109 and somebody says "but it's a dry heat", Ken says, "my oven is a dry heat, but it will still bake a turkey!"
BTW, I'm not sure I really like your analogy.  Who wouldn't be miserable spending time (anytime) in Ashtabula, Conneaut or Erie?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2018, 09:48:06 AM »
Look up temps in rural Geuga, or places like Rome (Ohio of course) I bet they have broken those Fargo records every winter for the past 3 or 4 years. (-41f just this year alone). BTW. there is much more protection from the wind in Fargo, than across Lake Erie :)

But yes ....cold is cold. Not sure I would like a dome either.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2018, 09:56:33 AM »
Look up temps in rural Geuga, or places like Rome (Ohio of course) I bet they have broken those Fargo records every winter for the past 3 or 4 years. (-41f just this year alone). BTW. there is much more protection from the wind in Fargo, than across Lake Erie :)

But yes ....cold is cold. Not sure I would like a dome either.
That's why nobody wants to go the Ashtabula!
BTW, the official record low in Rome OH is -28 in 1979 and again in 1994

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2018, 10:00:00 AM »
1AA, I did find this headline for 2015 for Rome, OH
"Coldest place in Northeast Ohio reached a frigid -39 degrees Friday morning"
Hard to believe, but two internet stores and one is wrong?!?!?  Good grief, what happeed to "I read it on the internet, it must be true?"

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2018, 12:53:43 PM »
They received two more donations of 100k each to name the radio booths in the new multimedia center. Construction should start summer/early fall.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2018, 01:15:17 PM »
They received two more donations of 100k each to name the radio booths in the new multimedia center. Construction should start summer/early fall.
so we'll hear Bob Hannon say "coming to you live from the beautiful new confines of the "1AA & Ytownchief22 radio studio!"
Thanks guys! 

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »
so we'll hear Bob Hannon say "coming to you live from the beautiful new confines of the "1AA & Ytownchief22 radio studio!"
Thanks guys!

LOL dont forget "brought to you by Coke" right 1AA?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »
Rumor is the tennis courts in between Stambaugh and the Watts are going bye bye replaced by more parking, and a new indoor tennis center is being built over by the soccer and softball stadiums. Target date by fall 2019.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:09:47 AM by ytownchief22 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2018, 11:59:00 AM »
Rumor is the tennis courts in between Stambaugh and the Watts are going bye bye replaced by more parking, and a new indoor tennis center is being built over by the soccer and softball stadiums. Target date by fall 2019.

Great info. keep us posted Chief. I know that is where they had plans for the new Women's Sports center, but have heard nothing about the center recently. They have not updated the current clay courts in some time. I had thought they would relocate the outdoor courts over there and continue with the Boardman Center for indoor season.

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2018, 08:54:32 PM »
Boardman was sold to the owner of Avalon and Squaw Creek. Plans to remove 4 of the 8 courts for other uses. Need six for college matches so its out.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2018, 10:39:59 PM »
Boardman was sold to the owner of Avalon and Squaw Creek. Plans to remove 4 of the 8 courts for other uses. Need six for college matches so its out.

Yep, the whole reason for building this is to keep matches on campus and cut down costs.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2018, 12:10:28 PM »
How many courts do we have in Beeghly? I know they have had 4 setup where the intramural basketball hoops are, but are they official?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2018, 05:35:01 PM »
How many courts do we have in Beeghly? I know they have had 4 setup where the intramural basketball hoops are, but are they official?

No. They are still using BTC for now until new building is up.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2018, 08:52:23 AM »
I checked with all of the info that I could find and I do not see where there is any indoor facility requirement for the Horizon. Only a lighting requirement for outdoors.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2018, 06:59:51 PM »
They are rebidding on the multimedia center in a couple weeks so look for construction to start June-July.