Author Topic: Campus Updates  (Read 73729 times)

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Campus Updates
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2018, 12:30:23 PM »
Strollos greatness

Wow.  Whatever you were doing in the pictures Strollo has of you must be bad.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2018, 01:56:42 PM »
From go guins:  "but sports at YSU is all about football." 

go guins, I love football but you should include men's basketball in your statement.  If the men's team did well they would be the talk of the town.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2018, 02:01:09 PM »
Whatever, these same old ignorant conversations go nowhere. Just make sure you guys stop complaining about "the good old boy network".  Just make sure to give your donations and buy your tickets. That is what it is all about.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2018, 08:55:21 AM »
From go guins:  "but sports at YSU is all about football." 

go guins, I love football but you should include men's basketball in your statement.  If the men's team did well they would be the talk of the town.
IF, is a very big word in a story, isn't it.  This issue with MBB is, while we have 1AA in football, we don't have it is BB.  We also don't have any conference rivalries because we play FB and BB in two different leagues. As long as we have split leagues and need to compete against OSU, Kentucky, and Duke in any tournament appearance, rating anywhere near football is going to be really hard.  I have supreme confidence in Coach Calhoun, but getting MBB anywhere close to FB is going to be a MAJOR struggle.
Yes, success breeds recognition, so I'll bet in a random survey at the mall, more people would know the leader of the track team, than the leading scorer on the basketball team.  Zallow has been featured in the paper, etc. much more.  BUT the relevant part of that it would be less than 1% or 2% know the names.  Many more pay attention to football.  We need to embrace this, not "fix" it.  That's why I want major upgrades to Stambaugh Stadium, because it is the landmark facility on campus and need to be top shelf.  Good grief, we still piss in troughs like the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium!  I couldn't believe it when they opened SS in 1982 and here we are 36 years later still pissing in the same troughs!?!?!  1AA wants to talk about how great the leadership of Strollo is for the AD.  Well, is he has such get skills, let's see him get us G-D urnals!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2018, 09:00:02 AM »
Whatever, these same old ignorant conversations go nowhere. Just make sure you guys stop complaining about "the good old boy network".  Just make sure to give your donations and buy your tickets. That is what it is all about.
I don't even know WTF your "good boy network" comment is about, but if you are implying the $$$ influences college athletics, well, welcome to the 20th century!  (maybe the 21th will be coming to a site near you soon!)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »
You know what good old boy network is & JT is now the head of it. Yet you somehow seem to dislike it when it is applied to Strollo. Fair is fair. I never like the Catholic school pissers either Go, but they do keep the floor cleaner, but somehow the school misses how much dirtier it makes the toilet stalls. I could care less about men's BB, put the $$ in the ladies program, at least we stand a chance there. Even though there is no audience, the media is falling all over women's sports. We already play UWGB & IUPUI, let's add close teams like Belmont, Central Michigan, Buffalo, Drake, Missouri State, Ball State and RMU (we occasionally play them already). These are all great MM good programs & we can compete there. I mean it certainly was not our men's program that got us into the MCC/horizon.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »
You know what good old boy network is & JT is now the head of it. Yet you somehow seem to dislike it when it is applied to Strollo. Fair is fair. I never like the Catholic school pissers either Go, but they do keep the floor cleaner, but somehow the school misses how much dirtier it makes the toilet stalls. I could care less about men's BB, put the $$ in the ladies program, at least we stand a chance there. Even though there is no audience, the media is falling all over women's sports. We already play UWGB & IUPUI, let's add close teams like Belmont, Central Michigan, Buffalo, Drake, Missouri State, Ball State and RMU (we occasionally play them already). These are all great MM good programs & we can compete there. I mean it certainly was not our men's program that got us into the MCC/horizon.
No, actually I don't know what you are talking about regarding the good ol' boy network.  Certainly JT is a card carrying member, but I really don't know what you are talking about regarding JT, Strollo, and the network. 

What I DO know is JT is working his network daily to raise money for everything YSU, balance the budget, double the endowment and provide new and improved facilities for all. 
Take a look around and smell the roses.  If Strollo were any good at his job, and could work a good ol' boy
network at all, why is he still laboring away in the shadow of giants at YSU after 20 years and not at least at a MAC school by now?  Thank God the trustees were smart enough to snatch JT away from Akron! 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2018, 09:23:17 AM »
Stambaugh is now maybe a top 25 stadium in FCS. Definitely not top 10 anymore.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2018, 09:26:44 AM »
Stambaugh is now maybe a top 25 stadium in FCS. Definitely not top 10 anymore.
Agreed.  Not sure how to rate domes, but we rank maybe 4 or 5th in the MVFC and that can affect recruiting.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2018, 10:18:46 AM »
Saying we have fallen out of the top 10 is probably fair ...we are still close & I may rate things differently than others. However, I would like to point out that most of the top stadiums still have a track around them. Our visiting lockers are a bit out of the top-10, but our lockers and weights are tops. Our surface it up with the best. We have 2 scoreboards, our capacity is still over 20k. You guys seem infatuated with a dome. My gosh, going to UNI is like going into Beeghly Center. Now, I think that the new weight room, the relocation of other sports facilities have made the football player facilities much nicer, that still remains the biggest weakness of the facility. Yet how many other programs have a multi-use facility? The new dinning hall is nice. I just do not think you can compare things that are not the same. Leave the dome go & rate them separately. Most domes at our level are a joke. Six teams use professional or share facilities with major institutions (so they cannot be considered I-AA facilities). Again it is a case where everyone wants to be Ohio State and will just gripe for the rest of their lives.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2018, 12:33:41 PM »
Saying we have fallen out of the top 10 is probably fair ...we are still close & I may rate things differently than others. However, I would like to point out that most of the top stadiums still have a track around them. Our visiting lockers are a bit out of the top-10, but our lockers and weights are tops. Our surface it up with the best. We have 2 scoreboards, our capacity is still over 20k. You guys seem infatuated with a dome. My gosh, going to UNI is like going into Beeghly Center. Now, I think that the new weight room, the relocation of other sports facilities have made the football player facilities much nicer, that still remains the biggest weakness of the facility. Yet how many other programs have a multi-use facility? The new dinning hall is nice. I just do not think you can compare things that are not the same. Leave the dome go & rate them separately. Most domes at our level are a joke. Six teams use professional or share facilities with major institutions (so they cannot be considered I-AA facilities). Again it is a case where everyone wants to be Ohio State and will just gripe for the rest of their lives.
I, for one, think domes SUCK!  They are "required" if you live in some God forsaken hole like Fargo ND etc. But I'm 100% bought into a 21,000 seat outdoor facility for football.  The benefits for a dome are as follows:

The Fargodome has held events such as the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, USHRA's Monster Jam, Rib Fest, World Wrestling Entertainment, World Championship Wrestling, and other local, regional, and national events.College wrestlingThe Asics/Vaughan Cadet and Junior National Wrestling Championships (freestyle, Greco-Roman wrestling) takes place every year in the Fargodome in the month of July.[6]

Entertainment
Many famous acts have played the Fargodome including Avenged Sevenfold, Katy Perry, Cher, Guns N' Roses, Fleetwood Mac, Journey, The Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam, Garth Brooks, Bon Jovi, Shania Twain, Taylor Swift, AC/DC, Paul McCartney, Kenny Chesney, The Dave Matthews Band, Carrie Underwood, Aerosmith, Poison, Nsync, Neil Diamond, Billy Joel, Kiss, Beach Boys, Faith Hill, Bryan Adams, Ozzy Osbourne, Luke Bryan, Pink, Reba McEntire, Dixie Chicks, Lady Antebellum, Bruce Springsteen, Tim McGraw, Def Leppard, Metallica, Prince, Justin Timberlake, and many others. The Fargodome is also capable of hosting events on ice such as Disney on Ice, and traveling broadway.   Anybody think this list would add to the community?

My, "need updates", for Stambaugh revolves around several of the following:
pissing in troughs like OLD Cleveland Municipal Stadium
no club section.
obsolete food service.
low high school apparel purchase opportunities
bleachers
our TV coverage is about the level you should expect from Jackson Milton High School, but hopefully that should get some better. 
video boards and score board upgrades.  And for all the "we've already done that," this is what NDSU did, along with adding seating to 25,000.
In summer 2016, the stadium video boards were replaced with 12 new interior displays featuring SMD LED technology including two large 30'x100' High Definition video/scoreboards on each endzone, 12'x24' screens behind those large screens for those seated behind the board, and four large 20'x22' High Definition video boards (one in each corner), the $7.7 million project also provided for four ribbon displays on the seating fascia 3' high and 33' long along with a portable 15' x 25' screen which can be moved around on gameday, the project also renovated the electronics room and provided for new computer and graphics technology. These screens replaced the 6 old boards installed in 2002. In total, the new boards provide for 8,500 square feet (790 m2) of LED boards in the dome. The contract also provided for an increase from 3 to 5 High Definition cameras for additional angles, one of the cameras has a 55x extra zoom for close up play.
ticketing game day is a joke, as is the whole admittance experience.  Going forward, does anybody think we will need a FAR more secure way to enter? 

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »
Domes are not stadiums, especially at our level, and should not be included in any best stadium discussion. Football is meant to be played outside, no matter where.

I have no first hand knowledge of any other 1-AA stadium so I cannot do a fair compare, with that said I would have to think that we are in the top tier. Certainly the project for the East side will add to the status.

I have always hoped that we would close in one of the end zones with seating, with attendance what it has been there is not way to justify the concrete. But it would be nice to build up the north end zone to make it a little higher, plant with grass and allow fans to sit there and watch the game. Kinda like a picnic atmosphere.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2018, 08:44:14 AM »
Domes are not stadiums, especially at our level, and should not be included in any best stadium discussion. Football is meant to be played outside, no matter where.

I have no first hand knowledge of any other 1-AA stadium so I cannot do a fair compare, with that said I would have to think that we are in the top tier. Certainly the project for the East side will add to the status.

I have always hoped that we would close in one of the end zones with seating, with attendance what it has been there is not way to justify the concrete. But it would be nice to build up the north end zone to make it a little higher, plant with grass and allow fans to sit there and watch the game. Kinda like a picnic atmosphere.
I generally agree with your negative attitude toward domes, but, with all due respect, the Fargo Dome is a first rate facility.  we think of "cold" in Ohio terms, but "Fargo cold" is another thing entirely! Frankly I'm glad they have a dome.  The UniDome, on the other hand..............
Certainly we have -0- need to expand seating.  HOWEVER I would love to see a club seating section, with the appropriate amenities.  If you want to see a game from high enough to follow pass patterns etc. and have a 68 year old body, Stambaugh can be as much a training session as football game.  And the piss troughs are gross!  The restricted access to food service, not to mention lack of variety............  What to experience an upgrade to the total game day experience at YSU?  Go to Paul Brown Stadium for a Massillon HS game!   

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »
Some good points Go. In relation to entertainment, I am not sure there is much that we are ever going to do; the FargoDome does not see that many major events, considering their relative size within the state. I think many times that we forget Fargo the largest city in a N. Dakota. To make things fair, compare it to Ohio's largest city ...Columbus (112k vs 868k). That is only fair. In fact, even the tier-2 cities in Ohio (Dayton, Toledo and Akron) have populations of 200k or more ... much larger than Fargo.  The teir-2 cities in N. Dakota are much smaller than Youngstown. Yet, depending on what year you use, Youngstown is the 7th thru 10th largest city in Ohio. So if you are an entertainment act that is going to play a traditional 50-state tour, in N. Dakota you have no choice but to play in Fargo, but you do not really even think about playing in Youngstown unless you are making 10+ stops in the Buckeye state. The same thing applies to money. NDSU receives the majority of state and federal dollars given to/by N. Dakota.  However, Youngstown is larger than Bismark (N. Dakota's second-largest city) and most govt funds never make it down this far in the "pecking order". (#13).

I think our facilities technology is becoming very good for our size. We can now support any DI night game & can televise any post-season game. Although someone needs to check, as we may not be able to host the championship game with our lighting. On the restrooms I could not agree more with what you are saying. Club section is nice, but not needed, nor going to impact attendance ...just increase revenue on existing tickets. Open more loges. Also, I know this sounds odd, but I think that if we opened up the outfield sections of Stambaugh (no charge) then allowed local mobile vendors to sell/display their wares, we would really see an increase in attendance. It would eventually spill out into the parking lot attached to Stambaugh. I think that is (or once was) F7.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:37:04 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2018, 09:27:58 AM »
BTW, I would be willing to bet that people from the plain states would be miserable if they spent a traditional winter in Ashtabula, Conneaut or Erie. During a year when the lake does not freeze until late, the moisture makes life just miserable. Most of the plain states have a much more dry cold. However, I do agree that once you get down in temp ...cold is cold.