Author Topic: Campus Updates  (Read 73332 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Campus Updates
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 04:47:58 PM »
go quins:

Wow I totally forgot about Clingan-Waddell Hall! I had my math classes there back in 62,63; it was eerie. The 3rd floor of the Main Building was extremely cramped with very low ceilings. All in all, it was a great place.
I had several math/engineering classes in the basement of Clingan-Waddell Hall. What an experience!
However, the temperature was comfortable.
Now, they regularly turned the AC off on the hot days (>85 degree) between 3-7pm. I had classes from 4:30 - 11 pm. The room temperature offen exceed 90 degrees at the beginning of the class. We had to continuously search for cooler rooms in the building. We moved from room to room 3-4 times through out the evening as AC gradually came back on after 8 pm.
The building is also energy efficient..... Which means the windows cannot be open.
I had a 4 hour calculus class Saturday morning in the basement of C-W hall.  (3-1/2 hours trapped in that damn basement!)  You should be glad your windows didn't open.  Ours did, and the street dust came through the steet level grates down a 6' deep window well and driffed into the classroom!  Oh, the good ol' days!
You guys knew the "mud lot" and all the parking issues then too!  Started ate $150 per quarter, full time.
Some of my classes were in another "classy" building which you guys might have forgotten - the Rayen school, next door to the YWCA. However, it was an improvement over CWH.
The following year, we were spoiled (by moving into the brand new engineering building). I will stop now before getting kick out of the site for all these non YSU sports discussions.

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »
Attended 72 to 76. Remember making it to the top floors of Jones Hall and finding quite a few fake walls and passages between rooms by moving pieces of trim just like the movies.  Not a joke really happened! Someone suggested at one time they were butler passages for a wealthy family that lived there prior to the University taking it over?

GOOO GUINS!!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 05:23:11 PM »
Attended 72 to 76. Remember making it to the top floors of Jones Hall and finding quite a few fake walls and passages between rooms by moving pieces of trim just like the movies.  Not a joke really happened! Someone suggested at one time they were butler passages for a wealthy family that lived there prior to the University taking it over?

GOOO GUINS!!!!

Jones Hall.... Was the reason for us being known to be UCLA...

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
I attended from 1980 to 97.  couple of undergraduate and masters.  So the place really change over the years.  All the bars and houses around the campus.  Drinking age was 18 and the party crowd was something.  When the drinking age changed to 21 killed that scene and the school became really refined!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
go quins:

Wow I totally forgot about Clingan-Waddell Hall! I had my math classes there back in 62,63; it was eerie. The 3rd floor of the Main Building was extremely cramped with very low ceilings. All in all, it was a great place.
I had several math/engineering classes in the basement of Clingan-Waddell Hall. What an experience!
Now, they regularly turned the AC off on the hot days (>85 degree) between 3-7pm. I had classes from 4:30 - 11 pm. The room temperature offen exceed 90 degrees at the beginning of the class. We had to continuously search for cooler rooms in the building. We moved from room to room 3-4 times through out the evening as AC gradually came back on after 8 pm.
The building is also energy efficient..... Which means the windows cannot be open.
I had a 4 hour calculus class Saturday morning in the basement of C-W hall.  (3-1/2 hours trapped in that damn basement!)  You should be glad your windows didn't open.  Ours did, and the street dust came through the steet level grates down a 6' deep window well and driffed into the classroom!  Oh, the good ol' days!
You guys knew the "mud lot" and all the parking issues then too!  Started ate $150 per quarter, full time.
Some of my classes were in another "classy" building which you guys might have forgotten - the Rayen school, next door to the YWCA. However, it was an improvement over CWH.
The following year, we were spoiled (by moving into the brand new engineering building). I will stop now before getting kick out of the site for all these non YSU sports discussions.

My very first class at YSU was at Rayen, 1971, Helen Van Gorder I believe.

I know it has been a while for me but I am impressed with the changes.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 09:14:54 PM »
go quins:

My very first class at YSU was at Rayen, 1971, Helen Van Gorder I believe.

I know it has been a while for me but I am impressed with the changes.

I think I had her for English 101 also. I believe it was in the Jones Hall, home of the English department.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »

[/quote]
1AA started this thread talking about campus improvements so I think we are "clean" with non-sports, until he moves the thread
Rayen was too far gone for the HS students, so they sold it to us!  Yes I did forget!  Ever have a gym class at the Y downtown?  Another joke.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 10:28:43 AM »

1AA started this thread talking about campus improvements so I think we are "clean" with non-sports, until he moves the thread
Rayen was too far gone for the HS students, so they sold it to us!  Yes I did forget!  Ever have a gym class at the Y downtown?  Another joke.
[/quote]

Gee, I forgot all those gym classes @ YMCA downtown.
I remember that for couple of semesters I had a class in another classy building which housed the school of education. The building previously housed the Elm Road Elementary school. That building was, at the time, the most Northern building on campus.
I only had 10 min between classes to run to the gym class @YMCA, the most Southern building. Heck, since I could do that, passing the gym class was never a problem.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
Speaking of bars, they are building one on campus I believe. Also a tattoo shop is opening on Lincoln. Kinda ironic as JT is our school president lol.....

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »
Speaking of bars, they are building one on campus I believe. Also a tattoo shop is opening on Lincoln. Kinda ironic as JT is our school president lol.....
Yes, the building housed the old bar "Tony's hide away" on Elm Road was demolished couple of years ago. The old Burger King on Elm is now Hot Heads. The two eateries on Lincoln were splitted into 3 spaces. 1 of the 3 became Jimmy Johns. The 2nd one became the tatto shop. The middle one was University Pizzaeria which was closed couple years ago.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 12:28:15 PM »
Yes, the building housed the old bar "Tony's hide away" on Elm Road was demolished couple of years ago. The old Burger King on Elm is now Hot Heads. The two eateries on Lincoln were splitted into 3 spaces. 1 of the 3 became Jimmy Johns. The 2nd one became the tatto shop. The middle one was University Pizzaeria which was closed couple years ago.
Tony's Hideaway!  Went to many calculus classes drunk on cheap drafts from the Hideaway!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »
Tony's Hideaway!  Went to many calculus classes drunk on cheap drafts from the Hideaway!

wasn't those 3-2 beers great for us, the 18 years old kids? Do you remember the steak sub shop next door to Tony's?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 02:08:56 PM »
They've started The Enclave on the corner of wick and lincoln and that's really gonna be something when it's finished.

DefendYoungstown

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »
As the Wick Ave Improvement Project nears completion, construction has begun on The Enclave student apartment building on Lincoln & Wick Ave. The 166-bed building will feature four levels of student apartments and ground floor retail space. A grand opening is expected for Fall 2018.

5th Ave (between the Madison Ave Expressway bridge and Commerce Street) is scheduled for total renovation in 2018 as well.

Also, in case you missed it, the old Butler Memorial Presbyterian Church (built in 1923) on the corner of Walnut & Rayen (think: behind Main Library and before MVR) is being repurposed into a brewery. The grand opening is scheduled for September.

Story: http://www.wfmj.com/story/35895744/youngstown-brewery-connects-with-the-past?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=13503970
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 05:58:23 PM by DefendYoungstown »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 08:50:19 AM »
Ya' gotta love churches repurposed as breweries!  Although Presbyterians aren’t as strict as some, so it would be more ironic if it had been a Baptist Church!