YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

IUPUI as the next Horizon League member?

(1/3) > >>

Wick250:
A newspaper writer out of Detroit and internet chatter suggest that IUPUI will replace Valpo in the Horizon League, either this year or more likely the following year.  If true, I like this.  Keeps the conference footprint small and travel costs down.  Does not add a strong basketball program that would just be another obstacle for Calhoun.  Your thoughts.

ELPENGUIN:
Not in favor of this move. Robert Morris brings much more to the table including their new facility and proximity to Pittsburgh and a natural rivalry with YSU.

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: ELPENGUIN on June 24, 2017, 07:20:26 AM ---Not in favor of this move. Robert Morris brings much more to the table including their new facility and proximity to Pittsburgh and a natural rivalry with YSU.

--- End quote ---

They were never going to get real consideration. IUPUI is fine with me.

Wick250:
I agree that Robert Morris would have been ideal, but as Chief just noted, that school is not a serious candidate.  As the NEC has moved from non-scholarship to partial scholarship football, Robert Morris has invested considerable expense and time building up their program.  They are stuck in the NEC as nobody else would want their football team.  Perhaps the NEC would allow Robert Morris to remain as a football-only member, but that is extremely unlikely. 

go guins:
RM vs IUPUI, who the F cares?  You couldn't find 20 people in Mahoning County that could name all the teams in the Horizon League right now, and that includes the players and coach of the Penguins!   It is only slightly better with MVFC. 
The only right answer for YSU's conference affiliations would be one conference for all sports.  That’s easy to say, impossible to do.  Only when KSU, Akron, and Buffalo want out of the MAC and 1A football costs can a realistic attempt be made to create a new conference that makes sense for football, basketball, track golf etc. for all involved.   Hope I see it in my lifetime.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version