Author Topic: IUPUI as the next Horizon League member?  (Read 6505 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
IUPUI as the next Horizon League member?
« on: June 23, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »
A newspaper writer out of Detroit and internet chatter suggest that IUPUI will replace Valpo in the Horizon League, either this year or more likely the following year.  If true, I like this.  Keeps the conference footprint small and travel costs down.  Does not add a strong basketball program that would just be another obstacle for Calhoun.  Your thoughts.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: IUPUI as the next Horizon League member?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 07:20:26 AM »
Not in favor of this move. Robert Morris brings much more to the table including their new facility and proximity to Pittsburgh and a natural rivalry with YSU.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:55:53 AM »
Not in favor of this move. Robert Morris brings much more to the table including their new facility and proximity to Pittsburgh and a natural rivalry with YSU.

They were never going to get real consideration. IUPUI is fine with me.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 09:02:05 AM »
I agree that Robert Morris would have been ideal, but as Chief just noted, that school is not a serious candidate.  As the NEC has moved from non-scholarship to partial scholarship football, Robert Morris has invested considerable expense and time building up their program.  They are stuck in the NEC as nobody else would want their football team.  Perhaps the NEC would allow Robert Morris to remain as a football-only member, but that is extremely unlikely. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 04:21:29 PM »
RM vs IUPUI, who the F cares?  You couldn't find 20 people in Mahoning County that could name all the teams in the Horizon League right now, and that includes the players and coach of the Penguins!   It is only slightly better with MVFC. 
The only right answer for YSU's conference affiliations would be one conference for all sports.  That’s easy to say, impossible to do.  Only when KSU, Akron, and Buffalo want out of the MAC and 1A football costs can a realistic attempt be made to create a new conference that makes sense for football, basketball, track golf etc. for all involved.   Hope I see it in my lifetime.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 08:21:54 PM »
I agree
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 10:08:38 PM »
I agree also; very few people in my area of N. Carolina know any Horizon schools with the exception of YSU. They know YSU primarily because of their football and several YSU engineering grads.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 10:20:35 PM »
You old geezers...........what does knowing about IUPUI or Robert Morris have to do with North Carolina or any other area of the country have to do with welcoming a new member into the Horizon League.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 09:06:42 AM »
You old geezers...........what does knowing about IUPUI or Robert Morris have to do with North Carolina or any other area of the country have to do with welcoming a new member into the Horizon League.
Seriously?  You think we should plan a welcoming party on Federal Plaza the first time they come to YSU for a BB game?   Good grief, IUPUI isn't even a branch of one BIG school, it has 2 names.  What a joke. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
IUPUI has 30,000 students and an excellent academic reputation.  They have run a low profile athletic program thus far, but have tremendous financial resources.  If they were to get serious about sports in general and basketball in particular, they would quickly blow past every program in the Horizon League.  For their potential, they are an excellent addition.

Unless there is an intervention of biblical proportions, the Ohio MAC schools will continue to waste many millions on their delusional quest to be consider "big time" in athletics.  We will never affiliate with them.  For those of you who are obsessed with the MAC, you are certainly entitled to your dream.  But it is unrealistic.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »
Wick, thanks for the IUPUI primmer, but you can make a note, we don't give a s _ _ _.
By definition, we all have internet capability and can look up statistics and propaganda on any random school we want, whenever we want. 
Your claim that a random school can blow past ever Horizon League team whenever it wants is just meaningless, unsubstantiated, words posted on a blog, nothing more.
I have seen nobody on this tread touting the MAC, rather, waiting for the disillusioned MAC schools to drop back to a level they can finance and can compete, not us step up to a level we can no neither.  I don't think it will take any biblical events when the budget hawks come calling at Akron, Kent, and Buffalo over the next few years.
We'll see, but Akron will be on our FB schedule before IUPUI wins the Horizon, you have a pop bet from me on that.