Author Topic: Preseason football poll  (Read 6132 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Preseason football poll
« on: June 07, 2017, 09:55:31 AM »

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-preseason-fcs-top-25-2017 Just feel this is a real smack in the face after finishing runners up from a year ago with a good amount of talent returning. Good bulletin board material for the locker room☺

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Preseason football poll
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 11:21:46 AM »
I have no problem seeing JMU, NDSU, and SDSU ranked ahead of us.  But Eastern Washington and Jacksonville State, two teams that we beat on the road and two teams that play no defense?  Add Sam Houston State and their legendary lack of any defense and, most insulting of all, Lehigh from the Patriot League.  You are right Fever.  We should already be highly motivated.  This insult should fuel our passion.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:02:20 PM »
If you think about it, we lost a lot of talent. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. 2 NFL draft picks, several others signed to NFL camps. The best DE duo this school will probably ever see.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 02:13:07 PM »
To me Athlon is always the least respected poll. However, they need to pick teams from all conferences at the top, no matter what we say or think. It is not now, nor ever been the top-25 teams. It is the top team in each conference first, then they round out the rest will individual picks. That being said I do not see JMU or NDSU in the title game. I want to finish 3rd in the conference as 1&2 do not face OVC and SoCon teams early and 4 may not go at all.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 08:56:52 AM »
I want to finish 3rd in the conference as 1&2 do not face OVC and SoCon teams early and 4 may not go at all.
Seriously? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
I want to finish 3rd in the conference as 1&2 do not face OVC and SoCon teams early and 4 may not go at all.
Seriously?

Yes it is all about positioning, as we proved last year. Do you think we would have beaten NDSU or SDSU in round-2? Not likely. Maybe NDSU, but now way in heck would we beat SDSU and next year UNI will be in the mix.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 03:01:39 PM »
Good thing Bo is the coach and not you. We don't shy away from anyone. Play who you play and may the best team win.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 03:13:33 PM »
Seriously?

Yes it is all about positioning, as we proved last year. Do you think we would have beaten NDSU or SDSU in round-2? Not likely. Maybe NDSU, but now way in heck would we beat SDSU and next year UNI will be in the mix.
"as we proved last year"???  By not being seeded, we had to play more football games than any other college team in history!  And you thing that is good? 
I would rather do our best to win every game: get a bye, then play as many games at home as possible.   We played 5 playoff games, one was fairly easy, we were lucky to win 2 of them, damn lucky to win 1 of them and lost 1.  Win everything you can and play at home and play fewer games is the formula for success.
Good grief 1AA, you are hoping to edge out NIU for 3rd in the league?  Kind of defeatist if you ask me.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 05:36:31 PM »
Seriously?

"as we proved last year"???  By not being seeded, we had to play more football games than any other college team in history!  And you thing that is good? 
I would rather do our best to win every game: get a bye, then play as many games at home as possible.   We played 5 playoff games, one was fairly easy, we were lucky to win 2 of them, damn lucky to win 1 of them and lost 1.  Win everything you can and play at home and play fewer games is the formula for success.
Good grief 1AA, you are hoping to edge out NIU for 3rd in the league?  Kind of defeatist if you ask me.

Edge them out exactly, but make sure we beat them in the regular season or we could have 4 teams from the MVFC & people arguing for 5. I use the Tressel method Chief. Make sure our seeded opponents are from the OVC and the Big South. SoCon team should stay at home until they lose.