Author Topic: Horizon League Rumblings  (Read 4214 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Horizon League Rumblings
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:50:20 PM »
http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/the-latest-on-missouri-valley-expansion/

I think this might have legs the Horizon has become a lesser mid major since Butler left.  This article is a month old but their is stuff about this all over the internet.  The transfer rule is destroying mid majors and especially the Horizon.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League Rumblings
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:35:47 PM »
I look at it this way.  The MAC is one of the oldest, established mid-major leagues.  In recent years, they have produced teams that won about 25 games but lost in their conference tournament (mostly Akron.)  Their reward?  Left out of the NCAA tournament because the power guys have determined that the MAC is just a one bid league.

The Missouri Valley Conference received multiple bids often.  But Creighton and Wichita State have left.  They are probably now a one bid league too, regardless of who they add.

Yes, the Horizon has slipped badly.  We are probably low major now.  This will make some mad, but I think this is good for YSU.  Like the MAC and probably the MVC, the Horizon, obviously, is a one bid league.  Let Valpo leave.  Let Milwaukee leave.  It just makes it that much easier for us to finally win this thing.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 12:22:50 PM »
The MVC just issued an invitation to Valpo this morning.  One obstacle removed for Calhoun.  Who replaces Valpo as the 10th team?  Leaving the conference at nine creates a scheduling nightmare. 

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »
Murray State or Robert Morris? My vote is for Murray..loved going there when we were in the OVC..long live Popeye Jones!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
The MVC just issued an invitation to Valpo this morning.  One obstacle removed for Calhoun.  Who replaces Valpo as the 10th team?  Leaving the conference at nine creates a scheduling nightmare.
Agreed, football schedulding is hard with 9, but basketball is far worse!  (MVFC is now committed to 11)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!