Author Topic: Darien Townsend leaving the program  (Read 7388 times)

Online Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Darien Townsend leaving the program
« on: April 30, 2017, 09:13:49 AM »
May be old news but I just saw this .  was hoping he would be back this year

Darien Townsend announced on Instagram that he's leaving the YSU football program.

The senior said on Instagram, "Youngstown has presented to not only myself but my family. My experiences here have put me in place to conquer much more than I've ever thought possible."

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Darien Townsend leaving the program
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 10:04:53 AM »
Same here. What a great special teams player and was improving as a WR. I am still confused on the suspension rules.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »
You believe he is leaving due to suspension?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 08:17:12 AM »
May be old news but I just saw this .  was hoping he would be back this year

Darien Townsend announced on Instagram that he's leaving the YSU football program.

The senior said on Instagram, "Youngstown has presented to not only myself but my family. My experiences here have put me in place to conquer much more than I've ever thought possible."
Anybody have any idea what this says? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:31:21 AM »

Well I read in the NCAA guide that weed is 6-months, but not much in the way of details. Right now, they are under suspension and it should just be coming to an end if it is a straight 6-month calendar suspension. Then they have to be tested internally and randomly before they can be reinstated. Do you think he failed the second test?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 09:55:35 AM »

Well I read in the NCAA guide that weed is 6-months, but not much in the way of details. Right now, they are under suspension and it should just be coming to an end if it is a straight 6-month calendar suspension. Then they have to be tested internally and randomly before they can be reinstated. Do you think he failed the second test?
Based on the YSU history of public reporting of drug tests, I doubt VERY MUCH if anybody on the blog has anything more than a guess, and I'd suggest even public questioning of a potential failed second drug test is unfair to the young man in question.  We, and everybody else we can think of, loose 10-15 players every year.  This might be as simple as somebody else offering him more snaps at WR, or grades on just tired of university life.  We may never know.

1AA, you are very right with the vagueness of NCAA drug testing policy.  We the fans, and the kids involved, and the universities deserve far better from the arrogant egomaniacs at the NCAA.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 11:28:35 AM »

i did not do any research on NCAA rules. I seems to recall somebody on this blog suggested (at the time of their suspension) that players would be suspended for half the games for the 2017 football season.

Anybody recalls reading that?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 12:05:38 PM »

i did not do any research on NCAA rules. I seems to recall somebody on this blog suggested (at the time of their suspension) that players would be suspended for half the games for the 2017 football season.

Anybody recalls reading that?
I recall somebody saying something like "1/2 season" vs. 6 months, but I don't recall who and like most blogs you can have -0- faith in the factual reporting of bloggers, so I would say the question is "open".

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 12:48:28 PM »
I wonder if he transferred to lower divisions, would the suspension still be applicable? There is still an NAIA route, assuming they do not honor NCAA suspensions.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 06:07:34 AM »
I don't think that his suspension was for weed.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 03:26:30 PM »
It wasnt
A Penguin for life!!!