Author Topic: Basketball Commits  (Read 70239 times)

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Commits
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2017, 07:45:06 PM »
These past couple weeks have been like Christmas every morning.  Wake up, go to work, get home and see who we signed and every day our team got better and better.  I can't wait.  It's going to be a fun ride the next few years. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »
Can anyone remember the last time we are talking about MBB program in May ? How exciting!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2017, 08:29:23 PM »
Odessa is a very good JUCO program. Robinson looks like a nicely built athletic kid that will work vey well in Calhoun's system.

Also, Geoff Hamperian has joined the team as a walk-on. 6-5 F/G from University School in WV.

Hamperian is a great athlete,it makes me wonder why he's not going the d2 route.  Nice player to go up against in practice.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2017, 08:49:11 PM »
Can anyone remember the last time we are talking about MBB program in May ? How exciting!

Never lol

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2017, 04:44:05 PM »

When we hired Slocum  ;)

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2017, 06:36:08 PM »
WOW: so many potential good recruits and now a 3 star prospect!! It appears too good to be true. maybe I am dreaming.

Look out Horizon League; I believe YSU MBB will be at the top in a short time. Looking forward to seeing this team play and also looking for an enhanced schedule.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2017, 11:54:44 PM »
Except for the YSU team, I watch no college basketball (or pro basketball for that matter.)  I don't know any of the high profile players and can recognize just a few of the famous veteran coaches.  So these comments probably have limited or no validity.  But just from watching our opponents, I see a game where players are excellent long range shooters but lack ball handling skills and passing ability.  And I see few players that are willing to play defense for more than about ten seconds per defensive possession. 

If our kids buy in to Calhoun's system, and the nine newcomers certainly will, we are going to be the team in this league that everybody hates to play.  It will require our opponents to work continuously for forty minutes and probably embarrass themselves with their lack of handling and passing skills.  No more strolling to the hoop uncontested for an easy layup against Slocum's "defense."  No more wearing out our six or seven players because our coach failed to develop or use a bench.  I don't believe that revolutionary change is possible within a program very often, but this time all the ingredients are there to unleash something very special on this now low major league.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2017, 09:41:23 AM »
Wick250, I hope you are right, but in the short term you suffer from unbridled optimism!  Not all the new kids (or old ones) will buy into coach Calhoun’s program.  That is proven with every coach in every sport at every school.  And several of the new kids don’t appear to be physically ready for D1 MBB.  I think we should give coach some time to sort this out, get kids ready to play etc.  Remember it took Pelini, a proven 1A winning head coach, a couple years to get the football team back in the playoffs.
I’m all in with coach C, but he will need some time and patience from the fan base.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2017, 05:09:19 PM »
I too suffer with unbridled optimism.  You can call it euphoric,nuts, or unrealistic .   We are not really sure what these nine newcomers bring to division one basketball.  Can coach Calhoun duplicate his wins at the next level ?
 If you would have told me after the Horizon league semifinal loss that we would bring in a new young coach with a tremendous winning pedigree and he would sign 9 guys this late in the process,I would thought you were dreaming.

I know the new guys were not the highest rated d1 recruits and some might not be ready for this level.  It was still fun to come home and check the web sites to see a new verbal and to watch their game film.  It's a fresh start to what I believe is going be a new era in YSU basketball.   It might not be this coming season but it's going to be real soon.

We have five returning players and one (Morse) is going to one of the all time great Penguin.  Hartfield and Santiago could start for most teams in our league.   I'm confident with what we have returning and what we have coming in we should be competitive.  We know what it's like to finish near the bottom of the Horizon and have for multiple seasons .  We have had a fan from another team post on our board in the past and question whether another lesser league would be better for us.
It's a long way to November and I hope all the new guys stay committed.  I think Calhoun's going to work the community and look for Beeghly to have a different sound this season. 

Maybe I'm getting too hyped.  Time will tell.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 05:25:14 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2017, 03:03:42 PM »
I too suffer with unbridled optimism.  You can call it euphoric,nuts, or unrealistic .   We are not really sure what these nine newcomers bring to division one basketball.  Can coach Calhoun duplicate his wins at the next level ?
 If you would have told me after the Horizon league semifinal loss that we would bring in a new young coach with a tremendous winning pedigree and he would sign 9 guys this late in the process,I would thought you were dreaming.

I know the new guys were not the highest rated d1 recruits and some might not be ready for this level.  It was still fun to come home and check the web sites to see a new verbal and to watch their game film.  It's a fresh start to what I believe is going be a new era in YSU basketball.   It might not be this coming season but it's going to be real soon.

We have five returning players and one (Morse) is going to one of the all time great Penguin.  Hartfield and Santiago could start for most teams in our league.   I'm confident with what we have returning and what we have coming in we should be competitive.  We know what it's like to finish near the bottom of the Horizon and have for multiple seasons .  We have had a fan from another team post on our board in the past and question whether another lesser league would be better for us.
It's a long way to November and I hope all the new guys stay committed.  I think Calhoun's going to work the community and look for Beeghly to have a different sound this season. 

Maybe I'm getting too hyped.  Time will tell.
As I said, I'm 100% bought into Coach Calhoun and his program.  The guy can recruit and the guy can coach.  My only caution is give him a year.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2017, 07:24:25 PM »
The combination of Coach Calhoun and the assistants he brought with him were the keys to this recruiting class..relationships that were already established led to these recruits..these assistants are without a doubt the best we've had since we turned division one...their various backgrounds and contacts allowed us to sign kids that will help immediately and for the long haul also...if you watched the D2 championship game you would've noticed how Calhoun's team played as if their hair was on fire...this thing can honestly be turned around quicker than most of you think...only 5 guys are on the floor instead of 22 that Bo had to recruit....i also love the fact  that Coach doesn't really wish to schedule non D 1's but might be forced to because of Valpo

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2017, 09:22:35 AM »
The combination of Coach Calhoun and the assistants he brought with him were the keys to this recruiting class..relationships that were already established led to these recruits..these assistants are without a doubt the best we've had since we turned division one...their various backgrounds and contacts allowed us to sign kids that will help immediately and for the long haul also...if you watched the D2 championship game you would've noticed how Calhoun's team played as if their hair was on fire...this thing can honestly be turned around quicker than most of you think...only 5 guys are on the floor instead of 22 that Bo had to recruit....i also love the fact  that Coach doesn't really wish to schedule non D 1's but might be forced to because of Valpo
In fairness to Eric Wolford, Pelini had much more in the cupboard than does Calhoun.
Pelini got to the national championship game with a team recruited mostly by Wolford.  (as Tressel won the 1A national championship with a team recruited mostly by John Cooper)  Calhoun isn't going to win a single game with a roster mostly recruited by Slocum 

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2017, 05:03:30 PM »
Mike'l Simms 6-5 225 of Cowley CC KS has been offered.  He just finished his freshmen season and led them in scoring as a frosh. I'm guessing that this offer has to be for 2018 a heir apparent type for Cameron Morse.

Video was great (aren't they always).   Saw that he had 45 pts in one game.

His size seems to be a prototype that Calhoun goes after.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:25:45 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »
Love Simms' baby hook shot.  6'5" isn't great height, but that little hook is deadly inside.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2017, 01:58:03 PM »
http://www.tribtoday.com/sports/sport-columns/2017/05/ysu-shows-full-court-press-in-recruiting/

John Vargo  is killing it at the Warren Tribune with off season YSU basketball info.   Vindy,not so much.