Author Topic: Basketball Commits  (Read 70316 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Commits
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2017, 08:30:12 AM »
Deaundra Murphy, a 6-4 guard from St. Joseph's in WV has committed. Led the entire state in scoring at 28 ppg. Love this class!
Love this COACH!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2017, 03:26:42 PM »
It says he's a walk on .   Looks like he has a nice stroke.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2017, 05:36:34 PM »
I don't think he's a walk-on is he ? Latin Davis leaving freed up another scholly.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »
I don't think he's a walk-on is he ? Latin Davis leaving freed up another scholly.

Verbalcommits.com lists his status as walk on.    I read on one site that he was ranked the #4 player in the state and on another had him ranked 8th.   anyhow,how often do we talk YSU basketball in May ?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:04:32 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Commissioner

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2017, 12:43:48 PM »
As a big basketball fan of a different Horizon school, it's just nice to see some enthusiasm for basketball at YSU. It's good for everyone in the league if YSU finally gets competitive. Calhoun was a great hire, and a perfect fit for the Mahoning Valley. And if some of the guys he's bringing in look--at least on paper--a bit marginal as D-I players, that's OK. He's working on a short recruiting season and he's obviously going to guys he likes and with whom he's built a relationship while recruiting them for Fairmont. It's still the best YSU recruiting class in a while, and it will get better in future years.

If anyone is interested, I've got a little summary of HL recruiting classes at http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net/thread/627/horizon-league-recruit-transfer-commitments

Go 'Guins!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
YSU basketball is still trying to recruit another player for the 2017-18 season; these names are offered:

Zack Pfaggenberger   6"9"
Brandon Goldsmith    6"4"
Kody Shubert            6"0"
Caleb Catto               6"4"

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »
3 of them are for the 2018 class and one committed elsewhere

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2017, 02:04:46 PM »
I also see that Rahim Williams is leaving.
That gives us 2 more scholarships.
I'm thinking at least 1 JC  kid will be brought in..wonder if Calhoun has suggested that Davis and Williams should transfer or if they saw the handwriting on the wall

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2017, 03:21:34 PM »
I think style has much to do with it. In an up-tempo offense, you have to shoot fast and accuracy suffers. Yet you hope the number of shots makes up for the lower in-basket percentage. How do the basketball experts on the board see this new style impacting fouls? Will we have more or less? The same but maybe more away from the ball?

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »
I think the style seemed to fit Rahim.
Run and jump...i think pushing the ball leads to easy buckets be it layups or great looks off the secondary break.. Cavs are at their best with this style...and no I'm not comparing us to the Cavs..its just a better sell to recruits..

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
I also thought Rahim would excel in this style.   He's going to be a senior so we only had him for this up coming season.   He's a great weak side shot blocker.   We need another big.  Not sure this late in the game there are any bigs out there but Calhoun has showed that he can find players.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2017, 05:41:36 PM »
Rosie transferri g out too...no doubt in my mind now that Calhoun painted a picture that did not include them...thought they were questionable D1 talents at best...Calhoun and staff know exactly what they are doing...i believe 2 jucos are on their way...this staff has too many contacts to not bring in better talent than the 3 that are leaving

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2017, 06:01:02 PM »
Rosie transferri g out too...no doubt in my mind now that Calhoun painted a picture that did not include them...thought they were questionable D1 talents at best...Calhoun and staff know exactly what they are doing...i believe 2 jucos are on their way...this staff has too many contacts to not bring in better talent than the 3 that are leaving

Wow Rosic is gone too.   He was our back up big who was more suited to play on the wing based on his size and euro style of play.   Rosic & Williams both only had one year left so maybe this was mutual ?   Coaching staff has to have a game plan.  If no juco then the frosh will be playing some serious minutes.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2017, 06:50:33 PM »
Anyone think coach Calhoun should go after Tony Farmer 6-7 235 Garfield hts Lee college jc TX ?

I know in 2012 he went to jail on some serious charges but the kid paid his debt and did 2 yrs of juco ball.  Coach has the Cleveland connection but would there be some blow back from the community ?   I know Tressel had a history of some high risk athletes.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2017, 08:15:33 PM »
I emailed Coach Calhoun about him just after he took the job but didn't hear back..that kid is a stud..Big10 talent...id be all over him