Author Topic: Basketball Commits  (Read 70317 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Commits
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2017, 09:47:09 AM »
It's up to the conference to distribute the money, yes. Northern Kentucky received 1.77 million this year for playing one game.
It's up the the conference, yes, but the question is, does the Horizon league collect and distribute or not?  Northern Kentudky EARNED 1.77 M but did they keep it, or does YSU get $177,000 along with everybody else?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »
Posted by go guins:  "thats what will get us into the Dance for the first time"  Yep, that just might happen, and then WHAM 89-44 and we become the 275th 16 seed to get crushed by a #1.  We need a 1AA for basketball as well as football. "

A 1AA in basketball would be irrelevant, who would care (it's called Division 2).  I'd rather be a 15-16 seed and lose big than win a 1AA basketball title.  go guins, such a negative attitude, it sounds like you have absolutely no faith in the basketball team becoming a known entity and doing damage in the tournament.  I ABSOLUTELY believe it can happen, maybe not immediately but it can happen.  I hope fairly soon up-grades to Beeghly will occur, they are sorely needed. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
Posted by go guins:  "thats what will get us into the Dance for the first time"  Yep, that just might happen, and then WHAM 89-44 and we become the 275th 16 seed to get crushed by a #1.  We need a 1AA for basketball as well as football. "

A 1AA in basketball would be irrelevant, who would care (it's called Division 2).  I'd rather be a 15-16 seed and lose big than win a 1AA basketball title.  go guins, such a negative attitude, it sounds like you have absolutely no faith in the basketball team becoming a known entity and doing damage in the tournament.  I ABSOLUTELY believe it can happen, maybe not immediately but it can happen.  I hope fairly soon up-grades to Beeghly will occur, they are sorely needed.
A 1AA in basketball would be irrelevant,"
So you believe our football program is "irrelevant"?  Sorry, I disagree.  I think it is just right for YSU and similar schools.
"Who would care (it's called Division 2)”
No, it would be 1AA.  There is a division II already, 1AA BB would mimic the success of 1AA football. 
"I'd rather be a 15-16 seed and lose big than win a 1AA basketball title." 
Oh yeah, I think playing a #1 seed and getting our brains kicked in would be wonderful.  16 seeds are ZERO for EVER!  I disagree completely with you.  I love the 1AA football tournament.  Very competitive games.  You think the playoff games this season were nothing compared to getting pummeled in Pitt?  I disagree 100%
"go guins, such a negative attitude, it sounds like you have absolutely no faith in the basketball team"
No, exactly the opposite.  I have great faith in Coach Calhoun.  But YSU is far better suited to competing at a level similar to football, than D1.  I just want to get him on a level playing field for a tournament.   

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2017, 10:53:44 AM »
Comparing a 1AA in basketball to a 1AA in football is comparing apples to oranges.  Generally, smaller schools cannot compete at the very highest levels in football but they can in basketball.  If a school invests in their basketball program they have a chance - the history of the NCAA Basketball Tournament proves this point.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2017, 11:05:18 AM »
Comparing a 1AA in basketball to a 1AA in football is comparing apples to oranges.  Generally, smaller schools cannot compete at the very highest levels in football but they can in basketball.  If a school invests in their basketball program they have a chance - the history of the NCAA Basketball Tournament proves this point.

I dispute your claim.  The key word in your claim is "generally" and GENERALLY they can't compete.  You can site incidences of a mid major schools with a hot run.  Recently Butler and Wichita State are noteworthy, but the noteworthiness of that reinforces my claim that the smaller schools are "generally" not competitive. 
There are 1AA football programs with big time wins.  YSU over Pitt for example, or Appy State over the team up North.  But those are exceptions to the rule, not proof the rule is wrong.  1AA basketball makes as much sense as 1AA football.

Offline BigDWSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2017, 01:31:14 PM »
It's up to the conference to distribute the money, yes. Northern Kentucky received 1.77 million this year for playing one game.
It's up the the conference, yes, but the question is, does the Horizon league collect and distribute or not?  Northern Kentudky EARNED 1.77 M but did they keep it, or does YSU get $177,000 along with everybody else?

The HL divides all NCAA tournament money into 12 shares.  The team that earned the NCAA tournament money gets 2 shares.  The HL gets 1 share to cover operational costs and all remaining HL teams get 1 share.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2017, 01:54:37 PM »
Thanks BigD.

I thought the distribution was something like that, but I was not sure.  Having a competitive basketball program and even making the tournament will be great for the university in several ways.  But it will not be a "cash cow."  Only teams in power conferences that get multiple bids and have their teams make deep runs gain a financial bonanza from the NCAA tournament. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2017, 02:05:19 PM »
Thanks BigD.

I thought the distribution was something like that, but I was not sure.  Having a competitive basketball program and even making the tournament will be great for the university in several ways.  But it will not be a "cash cow."  Only teams in power conferences that get multiple bids and have their teams make deep runs gain a financial bonanza from the NCAA tournament.

The exposure alone can be worth a lot more. Nobody gives a crap about the FCS football playoffs. Even our fans. Shown with the attendance in the home playoff games. Heck, we lost money on the Wofford game.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2017, 03:38:26 PM »
The following are YSU basketball commits:
Garrett Covington   6'5''
Jacob Brown           6'9''
Naz Bohannon        6"6"
Michael Akuchie      6'8"
Devin Morgan         5"10"   (must sit out 1st season)

Appears to be a good recruitment class, I don't believe we can have anymore recruits for the 2017-2018 season.
There seems to be a lot of excitement about this class and high hopes on this board, we certainly welcome these new recruits and hope for positive results in the upcoming 2017-2018 season.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2017, 05:26:54 PM »
The following are YSU basketball commits:
Garrett Covington   6'5''
Jacob Brown           6'9''
Naz Bohannon        6"6"
Michael Akuchie      6'8"
Devin Morgan         5"10"   (must sit out 1st season)

Appears to be a good recruitment class, I don't believe we can have anymore recruits for the 2017-2018 season.
There seems to be a lot of excitement about this class and high hopes on this board, we certainly welcome these new recruits and hope for positive results in the upcoming 2017-2018 season.

I thought that we might have one more since Morgan won't be eligible this season. 

Frosh =Akuchie, Bohannon,Brown,and Covington.  (4)
Soph =Ferguson,Hartfield. (2)
JR = Davis,Haygood,and Morgan (3)
Sr = Santiago,Williams,Rosic,Strollo,and Morse. (5)

That's 14 on the roster.  Not sure Strollo counts for obvious reasons and Does Morgan count this season ?

Should we call the freshman class the ABC men?

ValleyTalk

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2017, 09:11:06 PM »
@JDotson8: Per his Facebook page, one-time Milan basketball standout Latin Davis will be transferring from Youngstown State.

That will be another scholarship with him transferring out. Too bad, I really liked Latin.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2017, 11:34:25 PM »
Thanks BigD.

The exposure alone can be worth a lot more. Nobody gives a crap about the FCS football playoffs. Even our fans. Shown with the attendance in the home playoff games. Heck, we lost money on the Wofford game.

??  fb ??

Sure you did not mean to say basketball? I mean the last time I checked we just had our 27th draft pick go to the Patriots. Dry spell yes, but it pales in comparison to our dry spell in basketball. Heck what are you ashamed of? Most of the teams in the HL have power sports that are not MBB. You don't think that UIC would drop MBB for better Volleyball? I don't recall any UWGB players on the US basketball team, yet I recall seeing multiple member of Green Bay Ski team make the Olympic team. We are what we are and the Ice Castle is not known as a tough place to play women's soccer.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »
@JDotson8: Per his Facebook page, one-time Milan basketball standout Latin Davis will be transferring from Youngstown State.

That will be another scholarship with him transferring out. Too bad, I really liked Latin.

I liked Latin too.  He was a little up and down but always thought he would step up his jr and sr year.  Looks like Ferguson is going to get back up minutes behind Santiago.

If that opens a scholarship then we desperately need another big for the upcoming season.  I know they don't grow on trees however we are thin in the paint.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2017, 07:37:51 PM »

Any nformation on why he is transferring out? Does it have anything to do with the new style of play and the new coaching staff ?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2017, 09:23:58 PM »
Deaundra Murphy, a 6-4 guard from St. Joseph's in WV has committed. Led the entire state in scoring at 28 ppg. Love this class!