Author Topic: Basketball Commits  (Read 70294 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Basketball Commits
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
The team is going to be athletic, that's for sure. Up and down the court. Love it.

Also if anybody didn't see. WKBN got granted access to practice and had coach mic'd up.

http://wkbn.com/2017/04/24/calhouns-vision-brings-a-fan-base-excitement/
Nice!  One quote was "you should be running and dunking, and getting this place going"!  That is EXACTLY what is needed.  Opening practice, wearing a mic.  That is MARKETING his program!  This guy gets it.  We can only hope some of the sports adminstration was listening.

So you think this was Calhoun walking in and playing "Dirty Harry" in order try and carry the ransom for the kidnapped girl? :)  Just telling the admin what he was going to do? (just teasing) They would never hire or keep someone like that. Also when was the last time in the last 10-years we had a court practice in April? Substituting speed for skill is not going to make it in the Horizon...defense. Oh wait Butler and Loyola left ...maybe it will. Coach needs time to adjust to DI, I will give it to him. Creating a "buzz" can be nothing but good for the program ...that's for sure.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2017, 09:01:20 AM »
1AA, I have never, and still don't get the adjust to D-1 stuff.  Coaching is coaching.  BB or FB is BB and FB.  If you can coach you can coach.  Guys go up and down all the time.  The good ones win at every level and the lesser perform to a lesser extent.  Yes, he will need time to recruit players and some with need a year to be physically ready. same as with ALL programs, but you act like the Horizon League is some really tough league to get prepared for. and to me is is really about lower than weaker mid-major play.  Seems to me that the Horizon League is going to have to adjust to coach Calhoun as much as he is going to have to adjust to them.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 03:17:45 PM »
You hit the nail on the head. DI is less about style than DII, especially at the MM level. When you are an upper end conference club, in an upper-level conference, then 1-guy is not going to make the difference. At our level, one player can make your entire team. A DII club is almost never going to see that caliber of a player, so they adjust style to get an edge. I do not see any Horizon team adjusting to YSU, with two exceptions that are already speedy. Now certain dominating upper-end teams in DI will play a certain style (UK, Mich State, UNC, Old UCLA, etc.) but those are few and far between. You don't see Matta changing the Buckeyes to win 2-games a year again MSU do you? Now if 9 teams in the Big-10 played the same style as MSU, then Matta would lose his job if he did not "keep up with the Jones". YSU was one of a few teams that adjusted to compete with Butler in the conference, but they were so good for so long we had no choice. Should Calhoun win consistently (and we all hope for that to occur) then maybe a couple of coaches will adjust.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:13:29 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »
Coaches can decided on the types of offensive and defensive scheme that they want to play. Unless they can find the types of good players to fit into those schemes, it would not work.

I used to visit my family in Las Vegas in the 80's. Many of my relatives graduated from UNLV. Jerry the "shark" won lots of games with an uptempo game known as "the running rebels" at UNLV. I was able to watched couple of games at UNLV the year when they won the NCAA. I believed 4 of the starting 5 played in the NBA. The Shark was the talk of the town.

His offensive scheme was very simple. He figured that a team would typically have 12 turnovers per game. He had his players raced past mid-court and shot the 3's as soon as possible. The quick shoots eliminated the turnovers resulting in almost in average gain of 10-15 points. They regularly scored over 100 points.

Fast forward a few years, the shark was kicked out of UNLV because of some type of violations. He went to other schools using similar schemes without any success. HE COULD NOT GET THE PLAYERS!

We shall see if we will be successful. We needs good players. Right now, we have a power forward who could not  shoot over 50% FT, could not finish under the basket, could not make layups and could not get away from fouls trouble. We need good players...... Hope the new coach can bring them in....

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2017, 11:27:02 PM »
Devin Morgan‏ @D_Morgan22  1h1 hour ago

Blessed to say I've committed to Youngstown St University ⚪️🔴⚫️

PG. Delaware State transfer. Averaged 15 ppg.

Cam and Santiago play while Devin sits out a year and then the reigns are his.

Love what this staff is doing!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2017, 10:51:01 AM »
Devin Morgan‏ @D_Morgan22  1h1 hour ago

Blessed to say I've committed to Youngstown St University ⚪️🔴⚫️

PG. Delaware State transfer. Averaged 15 ppg.

Cam and Santiago play while Devin sits out a year and then the reigns are his.

Love what this staff is doing!
Warren Tribune talked about this kid last night.  Several of the Freshman recruits are a year of D-1 training away from being competitive anyway, so waiting dor Devin "fits".

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »
You hit the nail on the head. DI is less about style than DII, especially at the MM level. When you are an upper end conference club, in an upper-level conference, then 1-guy is not going to make the difference. At our level, one player can make your entire team. A DII club is almost never going to see that caliber of a player, so they adjust style to get an edge. I do not see any Horizon team adjusting to YSU, with two exceptions that are already speedy. Now certain dominating upper-end teams in DI will play a certain style (UK, Mich State, UNC, Old UCLA, etc.) but those are few and far between. You don't see Matta changing the Buckeyes to win 2-games a year again MSU do you? Now if 9 teams in the Big-10 played the same style as MSU, then Matta would lose his job if he did not "keep up with the Jones". YSU was one of a few teams that adjusted to compete with Butler in the conference, but they were so good for so long we had no choice. Should Calhoun win consistently (and we all hope for that to occur) then maybe a couple of coaches will adjust.
" DI is less about style than DII,"
I don't believe that even for a second.  Just look around, it is all about the coach and his style. 

"When you are an upper end conference club, in an upper-level conference, then 1-guy is not going to make the difference."
That simply isn't true.  You are saying that one kid can't turn around a major conference MBB program?  I could site dozens where that exact thing has happened.
1AA I love your historical prospective to YSU athletics and your passion for YSU athletics, and I love your blog, but sometimes you run to delusional.  My original point here was if Calhoun can coach, he can coach.  If he can recruit, he can recruit.  Dozens of coaches have moved up, and down, and proven that to be true over time.  Calhoun doesn’t need 18 seconds to adjust to 1A MBB. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2017, 02:23:44 PM »
I know a coach who went from a lower level to D1 and was very very successful.   I think his name was Tressel or something like that.   

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2017, 02:30:07 PM »
Love Devin Morgan's video.   He's a scorer but not excited about his .369 shooting %.  Hope he can bring a little Marcus Keene to Beeghly minus the punch.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »
What a great recruiting class...all built in what seems like a short amount of time however relationships formed by this entire staff led to all this...Bohanon would've  signed at Kent but relationship to Steinberg got him here...prior relationships to Slay got us Akuchie...Calhoun brought in Brown ...Covington and Morgan had to have crossed paths with this staff at some point....this solid foundation at a variety of positions will lead into next year's 4 player class...when these 8 are jrs and sophs and Morgan is a sr is when we jump to the class of the Horizon...cant wait to have 2 entire recruiting classes come through this program for 4 years...thats what will get us into the Dance for the first time

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2017, 03:39:55 PM »
What a great recruiting class...all built in what seems like a short amount of time however relationships formed by this entire staff led to all this...Bohanon would've  signed at Kent but relationship to Steinberg got him here...prior relationships to Slay got us Akuchie...Calhoun brought in Brown ...Covington and Morgan had to have crossed paths with this staff at some point....this solid foundation at a variety of positions will lead into next year's 4 player class...when these 8 are jrs and sophs and Morgan is a sr is when we jump to the class of the Horizon...cant wait to have 2 entire recruiting classes come through this program for 4 years...thats what will get us into the Dance for the first time
"thats what will get us into the Dance for the first time"  Yep, that just might happen, and then WHAM 89-44 and we become the 275th 16 seed to get crushed by a #1.  We need a 1AA for basketball as well as football.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2017, 04:43:43 PM »
No reason whatsoever that we can't become as competitive as MAC teams in the NCAA's....plus a giant $$ bonanza...much more than out Frisco TX appearance ever could

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2017, 06:26:10 PM »
No reason whatsoever that we can't become as competitive as MAC teams in the NCAA's....plus a giant $$ bonanza...much more than out Frisco TX appearance ever could

Absolutely.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2017, 08:47:12 AM »
giant $$ bonanza?  Not sure about Horizon League, but most leagues collect all tournament money and distribute it among all conference teams.  Can anybody confirm or correct this?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2017, 09:39:47 AM »
It's up to the conference to distribute the money, yes. Northern Kentucky received 1.77 million this year for playing one game.