Author Topic: Basketball Commits  (Read 69505 times)

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Commits
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 11:10:15 PM »
Set up perfectly....3-4 year with Calhoun..he gets us a cou0le 20 win seasons and moves on and Bobby Steinberg takes over

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
Set up perfectly....3-4 year with Calhoun..he gets us a cou0le 20 win seasons and moves on and Bobby Steinberg takes over

This is announcement from YSU website and Vindy today:

Bobby Steinburg, who has been recognized as one of the nation's top assistant coaches by several national publications, has been named Associate Head Coach on the Youngstown State men's basketball staff, Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun announced.

Steinburg, who spent the last nine seasons at Kent State, was ranked seventh in CoachStat.net's Top 25 Mid-Major Assistants Ready for a Jump.  In 2015, NextUpRecruits.com acknowledged him as one of the Top-5 assistant coaches in the Mid-American Conference.  In December 2011, Basketball Times Magazine listed Steinburg as one of the 'Best Future NCAA Division I Head Coaches', ranking No. 6 nationally.

"Bobby brings a lot to the table," Calhoun said. "He's recruiting junior college and high school guys, and there's a lot of places he can get us in.

"Bobby also has a winning pedigree. Kent State is program that has been stable not only in the Mid-American Conference, but on a national level with the most recent NCAA Tournament appearance and various other postseason tournaments."

Last season, Steinburg helped the Golden Flashes to the 2017 Mid-American Conference Tournament Championship, an NCAA Tournament berth, a 22-14 overall record and victories in nine of their last 10 games before the NCAA Tournament.

Steinburg also aided Kent State to three MAC regular-season championships, averaging over 21 wins per season and reaching the postseason seven of his nine years.

Prior to joining the Kent State staff in 2008-09, Steinburg was the head coach for two seasons at Motlow State (Tenn.) College from 2006-08.

At Motlow State, Steinburg resurrected a moribund program that won only seven games in the season prior to his appointment into a national contender. In his first season at the helm, the Bucks compiled a 10-6 TJCCAA league record and a share of the Eastern Division regular season championship.  In year two, given time to bring a full recruiting class aboard, Steinburg led Motlow to a school record 28-5 mark, was ranked as high as No. 8, and finished with a No. 15 final national ranking.

Steinburg also had assistant coaching stints at UC Davis (2003-06), Bellarmine (2001-03), Idaho (2000-01), Motlow State (1998-00) and was a graduate assistant at Middle Tennessee State (1997-98).

Steinburg received his bachelor's and master's degrees at Middle Tennessee State. Originally from Oswego, N.Y., he grew up in Richmond, Va. He is the son of Rep. Bob Steinburg (R-NC) and Marie Steinburg.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 08:36:13 AM »
Maybe Steinburg doesn't want to be the YSU head BB coach at all.  Looking at his dad’s resume, maybe he wants to be Governor Tressel's Lieutenant Governor instead?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 10:43:21 AM »
Naz Bohannon, a 6-6 F/G from Lorain has committed. Had offers from Kent, Brown, New Mexico and Drexel for basketball. Averaged 17, 9 and 4 this year. Seems he was a nice DE football prospect as well. Had offers from Michigan State, Pitt, Cincy to play football. Athletic kid. He is Lorain's all time leading scorer.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:45:52 AM by ytownchief22 »

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 10:59:10 AM »
What a great get! I was holding out hope that he chose us to play hoops instead of the fb route..this is exactly the kind of kid that will be a beast for us..rugged football mentality..if he was 6'7 he'd be in the Big 10. Great student too! Calhoun hit it into the upper deck on this one. One now schoolies and the transfer pg from Delaware St and he killed it on short recruiting time...wait til next year when Calhoun and Steinburg have a year to sell this program...i guarantee you Kent counted on that kid being in their class...JC post next I hope

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 11:26:44 AM »
Naz Bohannon, a 6-6 F/G looks more like a 6-4 "Sir Charles" type.  Wonder if he wants to be a 2 sport guy, because this guy is definitely a DE type body for a school that needs DEs!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 01:58:34 PM »
Big get for Calhoun and staff.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 03:08:04 PM »
I just read the article on Naz and have not yet seen his video.  However,he has an AA degree with a 3.93 .   Not even sure how you do that while in HS.   VERY impressive.   His quote saying he's nothing without family and friends shows maturity and wisdom not usually reserved for a HS senior.  Love this kid already.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
I did take a minute to watch his football tape and he is making the right choice to play MBB.  The one thing the FB tape convinced me of is he is nowhere near 6-6.  Maybe 6-3 6-4 which means the G part of F/G is probably the most likely.  That being said, this kid seems like just what the Dr. ordered!  Glad to have him aboard!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 03:21:47 PM »
Watched his video.  Reminds me of a smaller Draymond Green.   His game  and size is very similar to the 1st recruit Garrett Covington.  Twin DE on our B-ball team.   Can't wait for the season.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »
The Green comparison is a good one...Naz plays with an edge to him..very aggressive

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 08:32:01 AM »
The Green comparison is a good one...Naz plays with an edge to him..very aggressive
Not quite sure I'm ready to compare Bohannon to a 2 time NBA All-Star, 3 time All Defensive team player just yet. Let's just go with the "Naz plays with an edge to him..very aggressive" and leave the Hall of Fame debate until we see him play a bit?

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »
go guin,not implying Naz has Green's ability.  Just saying his game is similar style in a smaller body.  One is an NBA all star the other was the leading scorer for Lorain HS.  I pattern my game after Kyrie Irving but most days it takes me a few minutes to stand up straight after getting out of bed.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 08:10:58 AM »
go guin,not implying Naz has Green's ability.  Just saying his game is similar style in a smaller body.  One is an NBA all star the other was the leading scorer for Lorain HS.  I pattern my game after Kyrie Irving but most days it takes me a few minutes to stand up straight after getting out of bed.
One thing about these HS tapes is you don't see any defense.  Would like to see him play D before I start looking at comparisons.