Author Topic: Basketball Commits  (Read 70243 times)

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Commits
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »
This is going to be such a  breath of fresh air for the fans...ive been begging for it for years.. I was in favor of givi g Kevin Mackey a second chance back when Slocum was hired...CSU's "Run and Stun" was beautiful to watch...question..does Calhoun hang onto the last scholarship because he has only 2 seniors? Or does he bring in someone now? And will he redshirt Jacob Brown as hes brought in 2 JC posts?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2017, 09:55:27 AM »
This is going to be such a  breath of fresh air for the fans...ive been begging for it for years.. I was in favor of givi g Kevin Mackey a second chance back when Slocum was hired...CSU's "Run and Stun" was beautiful to watch...question..does Calhoun hang onto the last scholarship because he has only 2 seniors? Or does he bring in someone now? And will he redshirt Jacob Brown as hes brought in 2 JC posts?
also there was/is some issue with numbers of players.  didn't we have more players on scholarship that allowed?  Don't we need to hold on to some rather than have no freshman class next year?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2017, 10:47:17 AM »
also there was/is some issue with numbers of players.  didn't we have more players on scholarship that allowed?  Don't we need to hold on to some rather than have no freshman class next year?
IMO, he might be able to red-shirted couple of the incoming Freshmen. i am not sure if the players have to be on scholarship to play or dress. I thought, in the past, we had couple non-scholarship players on the team. I believe there is a NCAA rule for maximum number of players who dress for the game. However, if there were scholarship players on the injured list, we could play non scholarship players in their place.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »
Honestly, it sounds like all of us a guessing on these scholarship issues, number of players, partial scholarships etc. 
If I get some time, I'll so some research.  This should be easier than football as all you find in football is 1A but in BB we ARE 1A

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2017, 12:36:25 PM »
I Thu k 13 schlarshiped players and 2 walkons...i think their is no maximum..all 15 allowed to dress..we will have 13 if he holds a schoolies back..Morgan can't dress but is on scholarship..Murphy as of now a walkon

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »
We have one scholarship remaining for this year with all the recruits who have signed and remaining players.

Strollo doesn't count as being on scholarship because of his dad I'm pretty sure of that.

Morse and Santiago graduate after this coming year so there's 2 more opening up for next year.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2017, 01:23:22 PM »
There is no limit on the number of players on a team. The NCAA limits scholarships to 13, and 15 total can suit up for a game. Kentucky had 20 players on the team in Billy G's last year. Obviously five of those did not make the trip for away games or suit up for home games.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:34:03 AM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2017, 02:49:43 PM »
Tyree Robinson Odessa CC 6-5 220 lb.   Listed as a forward on their roster.  12.8 ppg and 7 rebounds playing an average of 15 minutes a game . shot 66% from the field.   I thinks we're done with next years roster.

HS senior numbers were 25.7 ppg 14 rebounds 5.5 blocks in the Boston area (actually 50 miles south of Boston).   I just watched his video and he's a monster inside who mostly dunks.  I read were he was going to commit to New Mexico state.   Looks like a big pickup for the Penguins.     He 's the guy you want getting off the bus first.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:13:07 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2017, 03:26:27 PM »
Tyree Robinson Odessa CC 6-5 220 lb.   Listed as a forward on their roster.  12.8 ppg and 7 rebounds playing an average of 15 minutes a game . shot 66% from the field.   I thinks we're done with next years roster.

HS senior numbers were 25.7 ppg 14 rebounds 5.5 blocks in the Boston area (actually 50 miles south of Boston).   I just watched his video and he's a monster inside who mostly dunks.  I read were he was going to commit to New Mexico state.   Looks like a big pickup for the Penguins.     He 's the guy you want getting off the bus first.

He is built like Sir Charles and I hope he could play like him (I will take 80% of Sir Charles).

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »
First 3* prospect I ever remember us getting...next year is gonna be fun my friends

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2017, 06:07:27 PM »
Calhoun has brought in NINE new players with Devin Morgan sitting out this year.  I hope these guys can play since we have had a lot guys in the past who couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie.

We have a center,power forwards,small forwards,two guards,and a point guard in this historical haul.
The only thing we might not have is that designated 3 point shooter(zone buster) that many teams have .  DeAndra Murphy might be that guy although I'm not sure if he's a walk on or on scholarship.

I'm so glad we have guys like Naz Bohannon and Tyree Robinson.  The strong power guys have given YSU fits in the past and now we can match up.   

Not sure what the starting line up is next season but Morse,Santiago,and Hartfield will start.   Got to believe with 2 years in the Horizon league that Haygood would be a starter but he'll be pushed.   Haygood has really improved from his freshman year to his Sophomore season so if he pushes it little more he'll be solid and he has help.

I really believe that Braun Hartfield is going to take it to another level next season.  He really came on during the Horizon part of the season while barely playing early.   He has the skills to be all conference.

Warning to the Horizon league,YSU basketball is going to be a tough out starting this November.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:55:13 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2017, 06:23:31 PM »
Odessa is a very good JUCO program. Robinson looks like a nicely built athletic kid that will work vey well in Calhoun's system.

Also, Geoff Hamperian has joined the team as a walk-on. 6-5 F/G from University School in WV.