Author Topic: Paul Molinari Named YSU Basketball Assistant Coach  (Read 6665 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Paul Molinari Named YSU Basketball Assistant Coach
« on: April 12, 2017, 04:57:33 PM »
Paul Molinari (pronounced "mall-in-are-ee), a 27-year coaching veteran at the Division I and Division II levels, has been named an assistant coach on the Youngstown State University men's basketball staff, Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun announced on Tuesday.

He joined YSU after five seasons as associate head coach on Calhoun's staff at Fairmont State from 2012-17. During his time at Fairmont State, Molinari helped the Falcons to a five-year record of 124-38, four NCAA Tournament appearances and at least 20 wins each season.

"Paul brings a lot to the table with more than 25 years of coaching," Calhoun said. "He's worked with Coach (Rollie) Massimino and Gregg Marshall. He was a huge key to our success at Fairmont State. He's kind of a jack-of-all-trades. Not only is he great in recruiting, but in preparation, scouting and on-the-floor coaching."

Last season, he helped Fairmont State to the NCAA Division II National Championship game, a school-best record of 34-3, its first conference championship in 21 years with a mark of 21-1 and received its first NCAA Division II No. 1 ranking since 1976. The program also won 30-or-more games for the first time since 1974-75. Senior Matt Bingaya was named NABC Division II First-Team All-American and earned All-Mountain East Conference First-Team honors.

In 2015-16, the Falcons had two post players earn Mountain East Conference postseason honors and FSU ended the season with a 25-5 overall record, earning a bid to their third NCAA Tournament in four seasons. The Falcons recorded four-straight 20-win seasons since Calhoun and Molinari took over the program back in 2012.

A native of Oneonta, N.Y., Molinari spent nine seasons at Winthrop from 2003-12. Molinari was a part of Marshall's staff for five seasons, and as an assistant for Randy Peele the last four years. In his nine years with the program, Winthrop won the conference tournament title five times earning bids to the NCAA Tournament in each of those seasons. In 2006-2007, the Eagles finished 29-5, were ranked 22nd in the nation, and upset Notre Dame in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Molinari spent seven seasons (1996-2003) as an assistant at Cleveland State. In 2000-01, the Vikings went 19-13, their best mark in a 14-year span.

From 1994-96, Molinari was an assistant coach on Scott Thompson's staff at Wichita State. The Shockers won 13 games in his first season, which marked the school's second-most wins during a seven-year run, and included a 10-4 record at home at Koch Arena.

He obtained a bachelor's degree from Villanova in 1990 majoring in business administration and a master's degree from Kent State in 1991 majoring in sports administration.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Molinari Named YSU Basketball Assistant Coach
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 08:34:58 AM »
Again, another really qualified addition.  And again, the first thought from Coach Calhoun is recruiting:  "Not only is he great in recruiting,"   We are doing all the right things here.  Big question is, what will the sports marketing people do to but some butts in the seats early on?  My guess: -0-
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »
Again, another really qualified addition.  And again, the first thought from Coach Calhoun is recruiting:  "Not only is he great in recruiting,"   We are doing all the right things here.  Big question is, what will the sports marketing people do to but some butts in the seats early on?  My guess: -0-

You are absolutely correct. The sport marketing dept. is still stuck in the last century. I used to walk to watch the basketball game at South High field house in 1966 when I was a freshman at YU.
I have not watched the game in the last two years although I can now walk to the court across the campus from my office (I can see the building from my office).
 They cannot provide half price tickets or reduced price/free tickets at the box office at the game. You have to drive up to the football stadium to get them a day before game day.

Last year, fans could go to a game for free if you get a coupon at an ice cream place. I was going to go but only to find out that I had to make an extra trip to exchange the coupon for a ticket at the football stadium a day before game day. I didn't go to the game. In the 70's, you could actually get the MBB tickets at the Basketball court. They are moving backward.

Why couldn't the marketing department allow the fans to get discount at the game without making them to make another trip to the ticket office at football stadium a day in advance?

They told me at one time this is because they don't have the computer terminals at the game. My answer to the was, "PUT THEM THERE". That was 10 years ago. We still don't have them. I don't think they really care. It is much easier to blame the fans for not supporting the program than they have to do something to make it easier for the fans.

Sad.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:21:34 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 09:37:56 AM »

[/quote

You are absolutely correct. The sport marketing dept. is still stuck in the last century. I used to walk to watch the basketball game at South High field house in 1966 when I was a freshman at YU.
I have not watched the game in the last two years although I can now walk to the court across the campus from my office (I can see the building from my office).
 They cannot provide half price tickets or reduced price/free tickets at the box office at the game. You have to drive up to the football stadium to get them a day before game day.

Last year, fans could go to a game for free if you get a coupon at an ice cream place. I was going to go but only to find out that I had to make an extra trip to exchange the coupon for a ticket at the football stadium a day before game day. I didn't go to the game. In the 70's, you could actually get the MBB tickets at the Basketball court. They are moving backward.

Why couldn't the marketing department allow the fans to get discount at the game without making them to make another trip to the ticket office at football stadium a day in advance?

They told me at one time this is because they don't have the computer terminals at the game. My answer to the was, "PUT THEM THERE". That was 10 years ago. We still don't have them. I don't think they really care. It is much easier to blame the fans for not supporting the program than they have to do something to make it easier for the fans.

Sad.
[/quote]

You are MUCH older than me (I wasn't a freshman until the fall of 1967!)  Remember Willy Teague, John McElroy, and Billy Johnson at good old South High?  I loved Coach Dom looking up at Willy from about waist high and giving him "what for"!  Teague could have smashed him like a bug if he had wanted to!  Had a class with Willy and he was a really nice guy.  Not sure he was the sharpest pin in the cushion, but quite easy going.
You and I don’t have to be on the cutting edge of technology, but frankly I’m far ahead of YSU sports marketing.  Why don’t we have on line services, etc.?  They have smart kids in that school, don't they?  Why not on-line ticketing.  No paper tickets, and other services?  They are frankly embarrassing.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 11:19:32 AM »

You are MUCH older than me (I wasn't a freshman until the fall of 1967!)  Remember Willy Teague, John McElroy, and Billy Johnson at good old South High?  I loved Coach Dom looking up at Willy from about waist high and giving him "what for"!  Teague could have smashed him like a bug if he had wanted to!  Had a class with Willy and he was a really nice guy.  Not sure he was the sharpest pin in the cushion, but quite easy going.
You and I don’t have to be on the cutting edge of technology, but frankly I’m far ahead of YSU sports marketing.  Why don’t we have on line services, etc.?  They have smart kids in that school, don't they?  Why not on-line ticketing.  No paper tickets, and other services?  They are frankly embarrassing.
[/quote]

This is why I said i went to YU instead of YSU.

I remember Willy Teague, John McElroy, and Billy Johnson well. I had classes with couple basketball players in one of those easy liberal arts electives. The class was at least 90% players. Regular students could never sign up for this class since it was closed in the first 30 minutes of the registration. Players could register first before general registration began. I was able to register early because they also let student campus workers to register in the early registration (after the players, of course).

The class was a joke. Most of them did not even show up the class. I didn't even buy the text book. They were unhappy with a "C" even thought they wrote 1 page on the final exam. I wrote BS on the entire blue book and got an A.

Willy Teague had to show off in one game. At the time, it was not permissible to dunk the ball during warm up. He had to do it before going into the locker room. The first play before tip off was a technical FT for the other team. We trailed 1-0 before the game even started. I watched John McElroy's 72 points game. It would have been higher if they had 3 - point basket back then since most of his shots were from outside.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 11:46:15 AM »
In the modern era, it is very, very hard to get people to attend athletic events on the campus of most mid-major programs.  Akron has won 20+ games forever and they drew, according to the Cleveland media, just 3,391 per game this season.  Kent went to the NCAA tournament but drew only 2,879.  Calhoun and winning will certainly help at the gate but it is not enough.  As you guys just noted, we need a modern, competent marketing department that understands and can serve both old and young fans alike.  Not only do we lack that, but the incumbents truly believe that they are doing a fine job!  Yes sad. Very sad.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 11:56:50 AM »
If we win we will draw...Mike Rice days prove it...an idea..how about weekday games charge A cheaper price than weekends

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »
In the modern era, it is very, very hard to get people to attend athletic events on the campus of most mid-major programs.  Akron has won 20+ games forever and they drew, according to the Cleveland media, just 3,391 per game this season.  Kent went to the NCAA tournament but drew only 2,879.  Calhoun and winning will certainly help at the gate but it is not enough.  As you guys just noted, we need a modern, competent marketing department that understands and can serve both old and young fans alike.  Not only do we lack that, but the incumbents truly believe that they are doing a fine job!  Yes sad. Very sad.

Even with a free ticket, YSU still makes $6 on parking.
How about free parking for the weekend games?
A few years ago, they gave me a free plastic license plate bracket cover for my car as a give away for the MBB game. It didn't fit my Ohio plate. I showed it to my son and he put it on his car. You guess it, it only fits on Pennsylvania plates since it covers up the registration sticker of the Ohio plates.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »

I remember Willy Teague, John McElroy, and Billy Johnson well. I had classes with couple basketball players in one of those easy liberal arts electives. The class was at least 90% players. Regular students could never sign up for this class since it was closed in the first 30 minutes of the registration. Players could register first before general registration began. I was able to register early because they also let student campus workers to register in the early registration (after the players, of course).

The class was a joke. Most of them did not even show up the class. I didn't even buy the text book. They were unhappy with a "C" even thought they wrote 1 page on the final exam. I wrote BS on the entire blue book and got an A.

Willy Teague had to show off in one game. At the time, it was not permissible to dunk the ball during warm up. He had to do it before going into the locker room. The first play before tip off was a technical FT for the other team. We trailed 1-0 before the game even started. I watched John McElroy's 72 points game. It would have been higher if they had 3 - point basket back then since most of his shots were from outside.
[/quote]

Fall of '67 was the first quarter (quarters then) as a State U.  YU was on semesters I believe because EVERYBODY was messed up that fall.  Remember registering in the basement of Tod Hall behind the old library?  Started on the 3rd floor and went back and forth for hours to get to the basement only to find the class closed?  Kent was no better; my wife (girlfriend then) would be in tears registering.  The marketing department must have organized those sheets of paper with little squares to put and "X" in!
I remember McElroy missing a breakaway layup in the 72 pt game, but "3's" would have put him to 80! 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »

Fall of '67 was the first quarter (quarters then) as a State U.  YU was on semesters I believe because EVERYBODY was messed up that fall.  Remember registering in the basement of Tod Hall behind the old library?  Started on the 3rd floor and went back and forth for hours to get to the basement only to find the class closed?  Kent was no better; my wife (girlfriend then) would be in tears registering.  The marketing department must have organized those sheets of paper with little squares to put and "X" in!
I remember McElroy missing a breakaway layup in the 72 pt game, but "3's" would have put him to 80!
[/quote]

go guins, at least you made it into Tod Hall. I was still lining up on Elm road and Lincoln Ave. The old semester was terrible. School started in late September and ran through January (professors assigned ton of home work for the Christmas break)

My students now register on their cell phones. If they had trouble registering, they walked into my office and I looked it up on my computer. I issued them an Over-ride and they were done. They were still unhappy that they had to spend 10 minutes to register.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »
Yes Double ET, the good old days weren't always all that good!  Polio shots, TB, hours of arguments in bars about who won the World Series 5 years prior.  A full day wasted registering for classes. Today, much is vastly improved.

Back to YSU sports.  Regarding the sports marketing, I'm not certain who I am discussed with.  I assume the AD is the man in charge of marketing the athletic teams, so I assume Strollo.  The absolutely embarrassing episode with the Frisco tickets has to be his decision to turn down, correct?  Going on from there, I wonder who is the guy to bug regarding things like just blowing off the spring game, the lack of university support for BB etc.  Any input as to who to send feedback would be welcome.  We have 10 season tickets, that's 10 different people sending e-mails.  Efforts that start small like that can have big impact sometimes.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 03:25:34 PM »
go guins,

There is a marketing and events department. However, they usually market the university academic events (commencement, on campus university events (high school visits, open house), student events....

All the sports activities, I believe, is AD Ron Strollo's domain and he reports directly to President Tressel. Sports marketing should be under his domain. I have no clue who runs the sports marketing. I have met and spoke to Tresell, Strollo, Pellini many time. However, I have never met the sport marketing guy. He must be keeping a low profile.

For things to change in sports marketing, I think Strollo has to make that a priority and held them responsible. He has to starting asking some of the same questions that all of us in this website have been asking for the last few years (or longer).

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
go guins,

There is a marketing and events department. However, they usually market the university academic events (commencement, on campus university events (high school visits, open house), student events....

All the sports activities, I believe, is AD Ron Strollo's domain and he reports directly to President Tressel. Sports marketing should be under his domain. I have no clue who runs the sports marketing. I have met and spoke to Tresell, Strollo, Pellini many time. However, I have never met the sport marketing guy. He must be keeping a low profile.

For things to change in sports marketing, I think Strollo has to make that a priority and held them responsible. He has to starting asking some of the same questions that all of us in this website have been asking for the last few years (or longer).
Based on what we see, I think we are looking for a guy (person) that doesn't exist.  I am certain your comment "For things to change in sports marketing, I think Strollo has to make that a priority" is absolutely spot on.  Seems he takes the "Field of Dreams" approach, if you build it, they will come.  Today's society provides plenty of options for people’s leisure time and money and we need to be much more proactive if we are going to get them to come.
Anyway, have a great Easter.  I can only hope you have and enjoy your grandchildren as much as Carol and I!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 01:39:27 PM »
go guins,

Based on what we see, I think we are looking for a guy (person) that doesn't exist.  I am certain your comment "For things to change in sports marketing, I think Strollo has to make that a priority" is absolutely spot on.  Seems he takes the "Field of Dreams" approach, if you build it, they will come.  Today's society provides plenty of options for people’s leisure time and money and we need to be much more proactive if we are going to get them to come.
Anyway, have a great Easter.  I can only hope you have and enjoy your grandchildren as much as Carol and I!

Go guins,

Enjoy your Easter with your family. Some of my children will make it home this Easter. They all live out of state. Our college of STEM has to host high school, junior and elementary school students at YSU all the time as part of our marketing effort. Last week, at our research conference Quest,YSU invited almost 40 of the seniors class of Champion High school to attend. Tressel made the welcoming comments. I sat with one of the table during lunch talking to them about career in STEM. Hopefully, some of them wiil choose YSU. This is part of our continuous marketing effort in engaging the students and employers. We do more than teaching and research.