Author Topic: NO SPRING GAME FRIDAY  (Read 17823 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: NO SPRING GAME FRIDAY
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 02:54:02 PM »
Yes but I still think SMG runs Covellie Center? Not sure, as I don't live in town. Now, I do not think that a state university can use a commercial marketing firm, but maybe I am wrong. I know that they could use a commercial firm as it relates to venue, as long as that venue is not owned by the university ...which ours are. Then you have the next level of concerns as to whether or not the NCAA allows this. This is a good topic, I may need to do some research. Thanks Wick.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »
Yes but I still think SMG runs Covellie Center? Not sure, as I don't live in town. Now, I do not think that a state university can use a commercial marketing firm, but maybe I am wrong. I know that they could use a commercial firm as it relates to venue, as long as that venue is not owned by the university ...which ours are. Then you have the next level of concerns as to whether or not the NCAA allows this. This is a good topic, I may need to do some research. Thanks Wick.
When JT toke over YSU, one of the first few things that he did was to contract an outside commercial firm to market YSU beyond the traditional surrounding counties. He was able to get $$ from a donner to fund this.
Although I am not sure about this, I believe that is still on going today with funding from the YSU budget.
May be marketing the athletic events is different.

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »
Got my season ticket bill in the mail a couple of days ago. I see ticket prices went up for the season by $10 from last year. This year $110 vs. last year at $100 per ticket.

Not complaining, they might as well cash in on last season's success. It's still a bargain at that price, which they should market that very fact.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2017, 11:10:22 AM »
It really is an interesting topic & even has coursework available. Here is what I have found so far:

The NCAA defines a collegiate athletic program as a professional education institution with amateur athletics. So any marketing that would financially benefit a student-athlete (directly) is not permitted. So basically they are saying that ticket sales is about all these marketing agencies can do for athletics. In fact, the vast majority of colleges that have hired them, since 2010, have stopped using them. The average commission is 33% of revenue. It says that SUNY Buffalo hired a firm in 2010 & in 2014 they paid the firm over $900k of $2.8mil in revenues despite a 10% decline in sales.

Notre Dame has been able to maintain their firm and have had one for many years. The firm only takes a percentage of new sales revenue. This has become common and is why most schools lose their marketing firms, as they fill up the stands and there is no new revenue available for the firms to be paid a commission on. As a result, many firms are looking for other ways to generate new revenue for the schools.

This method of monitoring who purchases tickets has become the standard. For example, I purchase the same 4-season tickets each year. My father has purchased these same seats since the year before the Stambaugh opened. If I stop purchasing those tickets and someone else picks them up, the university would pay a commission to the marketing agency. Yet again most universities are finding that season tickets sales in many programs are simply existing ticket-holders upgrading their seats (Anyone that purchases mine would sit in the 10th & 11th row isle seats). As a result, if a season ticket holder switched his or her seat 3 times, the university would pay more in commission, than the seats would generate.

I also saw where Northwestern was in some trouble because they allowed a marketing firm to use sports images (photos, video, etc.) in their attempts to attract new students. In effect, the NCAA deemed this as the university hiring an athletic agency. This makes sense as student athletes are students first and may have seen these videos. There was no mention of any penalties to Northwestern.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:11:14 AM by IAA Fan »