Author Topic: NO SPRING GAME FRIDAY  (Read 17773 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
NO SPRING GAME FRIDAY
« on: April 04, 2017, 09:37:32 AM »
I was just told that YSU is cancelling the spring game, scheduled for this Friday because of potential bad weather.  There will be no make-up date.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NO SPRING GAME FRIDAY
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »
A wise decision.  Nobody is going to sit outside in wet, freezing conditions to watch a practice game in April.  And the article in the Vindicator today suggests that we barely have enough healthy players in some positions to play a real game anyway.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 11:40:10 AM by Wick250 »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 11:53:29 AM »
Yep, it's cancelled.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
Too bad they can't move it to Saturday.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »
I was hoping they would keep the pregame party and let the coaches and player participate, but they sent out refunds.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 11:15:37 AM »
I know room for seating is minimal, perhaps the elevated golfing area only, but you would think someone could come up with a plan to move this into WATTS.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 01:56:35 PM »
Since we advanced from the preliminary round to the finals, we played 16 football games last season, the most ever by a IAA/FCS team.  Then we started spring practice less than two months after we walked off the field in Texas.  Even under ideal conditions, there was no need to play a competitive football game in the spring.

I agree with IAA Fan that it would have been nice to keep the party and have a "meet and greet" with the players and the coaches.  Also agree with Happy that the WATTS could have been utilized, perhaps by letting in fans for free and allowing them to watch a no-contact passing scrimmage similar to what high schools do in the summer.

Bottom line is, according to Bo, we got in the necessary work.  Risking more injuries in bad conditions would not have been very intelligent.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 09:48:10 PM »
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 08:55:24 PM »
We missed a great marketing opportunity by not doing something.  It's another screw up and a slap in the face to the hardcore fan and a missed opportunity to add to the fan base. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 09:11:15 AM »
I agree with the thoughts of most of you regarding a missed marketing opportunity. 
Bo can coach, and JT's credentials are beyond question, but our sports marketing effort sucks big time.   I am still in shock over giving up our allocated tickets for the National Championship Game.  The fan trips that should have been organized, the whole community involvement that was lost is, frankly, inexcusable.   Whoever made that decision should be looking for a job.  Now, to miss a great opportunity to connect with the core fan base AGAIN, by just walking away from the spring game without so much as a “thank you for your support” or anything is just another example of marketing incompetence!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 09:31:40 AM »
I agree with the thoughts of most of you regarding a missed marketing opportunity. 
Bo can coach, and JT's credentials are beyond question, but our sports marketing effort sucks big time.   I am still in shock over giving up our allocated tickets for the National Championship Game.  The fan trips that should have been organized, the whole community involvement that was lost is, frankly, inexcusable.   Whoever made that decision should be looking for a job.  Now, to miss a great opportunity to connect with the core fan base AGAIN, by just walking away from the spring game without so much as a “thank you for your support” or anything is just another example of marketing incompetence!

2 issues that caused this. 

1.  Not winning enough under Heacock. 
2.  Old fan base is old and dying off

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »
Let me get this straight. You are blaming H

Let me get this straight.  You are blaming Heacock and old fans for turning down the tickets to Frisco and for not taking advantage of the cancelled spring game for some kind of "fan appreciation day"??
I'm not sure what all the issues are, but Heacock and old fans are NOT the problem!  Poor marketing of the sports program is an obvious and serious issue at YSU, but Heacock and old fans are NOT! 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 02:35:39 PM »

Let me get this straight.  You are blaming Heacock and old fans for turning down the tickets to Frisco and for not taking advantage of the cancelled spring game for some kind of "fan appreciation day"??
I'm not sure what all the issues are, but Heacock and old fans are NOT the problem!  Poor marketing of the sports program is an obvious and serious issue at YSU, but Heacock and old fans are NOT!

Heacock was a problem.

Fans are older now.  I know many that have does off.

New fans are millenials .  Can't handle cold weather.  Would rather play a video game.

Population has declined.

That is the issue

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 04:20:38 PM »
The lackluster relationship between the football team and the community now as compared to the Tressel years can be attributed to all three factors mentioned in this discussion.

Sports marketing is very weak.  It lacks any vision or the ability to innovate.

Our crowds are old and that demographic shrinks every year.  Young people think they are sports fans if they watch a game on their electronic devices.  Spending three hours sitting in the stands is just not what most of them do.

Tressel built tight bonds between the community and the football team.  By allowing the elite program to deteriorate into mediocrity, Heacock broke those bonds.  We are still laboring to restore them, but it is not very easy.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »

Heacock was a problem.

Fans are older now.  I know many that have does off.

New fans are millenials .  Can't handle cold weather.  Would rather play a video game.

Population has declined.

That is the issue
HEACOCK???  Seriously????  You complain about old fans, but go to a game sometime.  That is what you see, "seasoned" fans.  That is NOT becuase Heacock screwed everything up, but because the sports marketing effort has dropped the ball.  Everything you say applies to OSU as well as YSU (including some Heacock influence) Do you see the same demise of the fan base there?  I'll tell you one thing, I think SOMEBODY, not mentioning your name, is the one that is too old!