Author Topic: Marcus Keene entering NBA draft  (Read 3548 times)

ytowngirl

Marcus Keene entering NBA draft
« on: March 15, 2017, 11:04:34 AM »
Would have been great to see what this kid would have done at YSU, maybe even put YSU basketball on the map.  Anyhow good luck to him.  Hope he does well in the NBA.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Marcus Keene entering NBA draft
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 12:37:20 PM »
Would have been great to see what this kid would have done at YSU, maybe even put YSU basketball on the map.  Anyhow good luck to him.  Hope he does well in the NBA.
I agree it would have been great had he stayed at YSU, but as to his NBA prospects, they are highly questionable.  Every 10 years or so a 5'9" shoot first point guard comes along and "makes it."  IE Isaiah Thomas with the Celtics.
Every year there are about 10 5'9" shoot first PGs that think they can make it in the NBA.  IE. Oakland's Kay Felder.  Now I'm not giving up on Kay, and I don't think it is hopeless for Marcus, but I am saying it is DAMN hard at 5'9"
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 05:21:54 PM »
Will probably end up in the D-League. Great scorer tho.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:10:21 AM »
Agreed, so was/is Kay Felder, but it takes a very unique and special skill set to play in the NBA at 5/9 (or less, I'm guessing)  Guys like Isaiah Thomas, Muggsy Bogues, Spud Webb, and Calvin Murphy don't come along very often.  In fact, I can think of only these 4 in almost 50 years which is less than my "once every 10 years" guess.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »
Agreed, so was/is Kay Felder, but it takes a very unique and special skill set to play in the NBA at 5/9 (or less, I'm guessing)  Guys like Isaiah Thomas, Muggsy Bogues, Spud Webb, and Calvin Murphy don't come along very often.  In fact, I can think of only these 4 in almost 50 years which is less than my "once every 10 years" guess.
I am not sure he is in the same ball park as Webb, Thomas or Bogues.
IMO, the 5/9 guy's problem is not with the shots. If he is quick enough, he will get the shots off. The problem is on the defense end. You cannot play zone in NBA to protect the 5/9 guy as in college. When you have to guard a 6/6 guy one on one in the NBA, he could be a defense liability.
Kendrick Perry was about 6/0 and I thought was a more well rounded player then Keene. He played couple years with the d league and last I heard, he was playing in Europe. I don't think Perry will make it in to NBA.
It will be a long shot for Keene.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 11:24:23 AM »
I am not sure he is in the same ball park as Webb, Thomas or Bogues.
IMO, the 5/9 guy's problem is not with the shots. If he is quick enough, he will get the shots off. The problem is on the defense end. You cannot play zone in NBA to protect the 5/9 guy as in college. When you have to guard a 6/6 guy one on one in the NBA, he could be a defense liability.
Kendrick Perry was about 6/0 and I thought was a more well rounded player then Keene. He played couple years with the d league and last I heard, he was playing in Europe. I don't think Perry will make it in to NBA.
It will be a long shot for Keene.
That's right, the issue is on the defensive end.  Good grief, Kyrie Irving is listed at 6'3" (probably closer to 6'2" but still towers 1/2 a foot over Keene.  Imagine trying to stop Kye when he has 6" on you?  You can get 30 points and loose the matchup by 30!