Author Topic: Next coach  (Read 51153 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Next coach
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:03:17 PM »
Hoping a new thread will help focus on who the next coach will be.

A proven D1 coach is no doubt out of the question due to money.

Please please please stay away from a lower division coach. May find a diamond now and then but usually they are at a lower division for a reason.

As I have posted before, go out find a young Wooden, enjoy a 3-4 year ride and after a big-time program grabs him, do it again.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

Re: Next coach
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:10:10 PM »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:16:54 PM »
The only lower division coach I would take is Fuline. Young guy, coached Massillon Jackson to a state title and now leads Mount Union. Really good recruiter, knows the area.

Same can be said about McFadden, although he doesn't have the head coaching experience.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 12:31:34 AM »
Sorry guys but I don't care about non-phsyical sports like basketball.  Hate the sport.  Boxing and football is where it's at.  Too bad boxing has so many fixed situations. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »
The only lower division coach I would take is Fuline. Young guy, coached Massillon Jackson to a state title and now leads Mount Union. Really good recruiter, knows the area.

Same can be said about McFadden, although he doesn't have the head coaching experience.

This is the difference. I could care less about someone HS success, this is DI college basketball yet we look at someone prep background? Let him go back. If you want a real small college guy, not that I do, then take a look at someone like Siroki over in Westminster. Player and coach at the international level. At least he has an upside.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 09:13:25 AM »
IAA, I don't get your disparaging comments regarding HS coaching.  Good coaches win wherever they coach.  Bad ones lose wherever they coach.   Many great college coaches have had success in HS and smaller colleges.  It is a GREAT hunting ground for a go getter!   
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
Read John Vargo's column online in today's Tribune Chronicle.  He makes a compelling case for what the university should do. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »
Read John Vargo's column online in today's Tribune Chronicle.  He makes a compelling case for what the university should do.
Interesting.  A lot of good points.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »
This will be the most important hire in the history of the men's program....and it must be done swiftly...do we value the importance of the program or continue to fail...it starts and ends with recruiting....we cannot continue to recruit jc guys that do not start much less play at all while also getting kids to commit to 4 years...its past the time to straighten this thing out

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 01:05:04 PM »
I thought John Vargo's article was from the heart and echo's my feelings. I am proud to be a YSU and Pitt grad and still have ties in the area. Everyone I known in the area has quit following YSU MBB. The YSU MBB program is in a state of apathy and needs a JT type coach to revive the program that has generated very little interest.

Sports give universities exposure to the nation and the MBB program is totally inept, so a good coach can be like a shining star for the university. Yes, it costs money, but you get what you pay for.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 01:18:18 PM »

Well written.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 02:16:42 PM »
 1 AA we seem to rarely agree, but this time I am with you.  Need college experience as a head coach or assistant.  I like Siroki, but a concern is this his first winning year there.  But he has been around, and does have the international.  I honestly don't think he has a chance, but that kid of guy.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »
This will be the most important hire in the history of the men's program....and it must be done swiftly...do we value the importance of the program or continue to fail...it starts and ends with recruiting....we cannot continue to recruit jc guys that do not start much less play at all while also getting kids to commit to 4 years...its past the time to straighten this thing out
This will be the most important hire in the history of the men's program
I think the hiring after the Dan Peters hiring after the abysmal failures of Jim Cleamons and John Stroia was at least as important
and it must be done swiftly 
I definitely disagree, it must be done correctly is FAR more important than quickly.
it starts and ends with recruiting...
It starts with recruiting, but if definitely doesn’t end with recruiting.  You complain about Slocum bringing in good players and then losing them to a transfer. That is NOT ending with recruiting.  Development, esprit de coup etc. all are major factors.
we cannot continue to recruit jc guys that do not start much less play
or don’t play, much less start?
at all while also getting kids to commit to 4 years...
Wake up, this is the real world of 2017.  Many many don’t stay 4 years.  The football team loses in the teens every year.  Don't worry about things you can't do much about
its past the time to straighten this thing out
Does that mean it too late and so we don’t do anything or do you mean it is now time to straighten this thing out?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 07:51:38 PM »

Article is spot on
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 10:30:33 PM »
It is THE most important hire because apathy of the fans days so...no one goes to games because no one cares...it has never been this bad and if you cannot see that I feel bad for you...this program is at a crossroad....it cannot hire someone that recruits jc players that cannot play....we have had an inordinate amount of players leave this program and it sure isn't because of the lure of the NBA or Europe...10 losing seasons in 12 years is just plain pathetic...have we even had one recruiting class stay  together til their eligibility was up? Not for a while...how do you build a program if guys don't stay long enough to improve...i maintain we will never have a more important hire than this one