Author Topic: Next coach  (Read 51148 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Next coach
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2017, 01:09:18 PM »
  I also believe with the right coach YSU will be competitive year in and year out in the Horizon.
Sounds kind of "Captain Obvious" to me.  Of course "with the right coach" we will be competitive.  The question is; will we get the right coach?  AND I guarantee I will know the answer and be happy to share it with you all!  (In 2-3 years!)  Before that it is all idle speculation.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2017, 02:17:19 PM »
I hate to say this, but who cares about MBB! I've haven't seen YSU good teams in years and years. Strollo says they will have a nationwide search for the MBB head coach. He really means within a 75 mile radius. IF we are going to have a successful team, the search should be truly nationwide.

I still remember good and exciting teams in the 60's and 70's where it was fun to go to YSU games.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
I hate to say this, but who cares about MBB! I've haven't seen YSU good teams in years and years. Strollo says they will have a nationwide search for the MBB head coach. He really means within a 75 mile radius. IF we are going to have a successful team, the search should be truly nationwide.

I still remember good and exciting teams in the 60's and 70's where it was fun to go to YSU games.

Fairmont State is outside 75 miles!  In fact, when I look down the list of prospects from the paper, I see most outside 75 miles.  You are going back to the high school gym days here, and while the teams were good for what Div. II, the facilities weren't like a high school, they WERE a high school.  Like me, you're just getting old!  Memories get better than it actually was!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2017, 05:06:10 PM »
you can not run a D1 basketball program on a D2 budget.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2017, 09:20:19 AM »

Nor can you run a D1 MBB program on distilled peanut oil, but what's that got to do with the price if tea in China?  If you are implying we aren't paying enough, I would make the case we are in fact running a D1 program on the current budget,  albeit not a very successful one, but we are D1.  Second, while we are far from the top budget, I'll bet you a couple bucks we are not the lowest either.

If you point is we will need to pay a new head coach more that we were paying JS, that is very likely.  We are paying BP about twice what we were paying EW, for what reason I have absolutely no idea, and the “management” (read JT) has demonstrated a willingness to step up if the cause is worthwhile.  We have no reason to suspect otherwise in this case, do we?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2017, 10:43:13 AM »

Nor can you run a D1 MBB program on distilled peanut oil, but what's that got to do with the price if tea in China?  If you are implying we aren't paying enough, I would make the case we are in fact running a D1 program on the current budget,  albeit not a very successful one, but we are D1.  Second, while we are far from the top budget, I'll bet you a couple bucks we are not the lowest either.

If you point is we will need to pay a new head coach more that we were paying JS, that is very likely. We are paying BP about twice what we were paying EW, for what reason I have absolutely no idea, and the “management” (read JT) has demonstrated a willingness to step up if the cause is worthwhile.  We have no reason to suspect otherwise in this case, do we?

Slocum was the lowest paid coach in the HL. Cleveland State and Wright St don't have football so they can spend more on basketball.

Bo is getting the same exact salary Wolford got. Actually getting less from YSU because of his Nebraska buyout.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:44:25 AM by ytownchief22 »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2017, 10:57:37 AM »

If you point is we will need to pay a new head coach more that we were paying JS, that is very likely. We are paying BP about twice what we were paying EW, for what reason I have absolutely no idea, and the “management” (read JT) has demonstrated a willingness to step up if the cause is worthwhile.  We have no reason to suspect otherwise in this case, do we?

Slocum was the lowest paid coach in the HL. Cleveland State and Wright St don't have football so they can spend more on basketball.

Bo is getting the same exact salary Wolford got. Actually getting less from YSU because of his Nebraska buyout.
Question wasn't HL, but D1 and I stand by my statement, we aren't the lowest.  I had recalled BP was getting more than EW, but it's the same.  However, I don't get the "actually getting less from YSU" part? 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2017, 01:26:21 PM »

Question wasn't HL, but D1 and I stand by my statement, we aren't the lowest.  I had recalled BP was getting more than EW, but it's the same.  However, I don't get the "actually getting less from YSU" part?

Wolford got 50k for doing media obligations. Bo doesn't get that, and doesn't need it lol.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2017, 02:11:38 PM »

Wolford got 50k for doing media obligations. Bo doesn't get that, and doesn't need it lol.
The Vindicator originally reported Pelini's contract equaled Wolford's which included the 50K, so according to the Vindicator, YSU is paying the same.  Other sources (later including the vindy) report it as you say.  Hate to go against the Vindicator, as they are like the Internet.  If I read it on the Internet/Vindy, it MUST be true!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »
We are paying BP about twice what we were paying EW

Not true.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »
We are paying BP about twice what we were paying EW

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2017, 08:16:41 PM »
last year both Bo and Shane took cuts when JT asked. Carl received a raise, but that was because he was moved up to DC.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2017, 08:50:47 PM »
Any time table yet or are we waiting for the play-offs to be over?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2017, 10:37:11 PM »
Any time table yet or are we waiting for the play-offs to be over?

Calhoun and Fairmont State won tonight so they will be playing saturday for the D2 national championship. I think its his job if he wants it.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »
We might have caught a break when Cleve St hired Dennis Felton, whose name we never heard mentioned. That leaves Calhoun and Kimbrough for us...either would be a great fit. Hopefully early next week because we can get after it in recruiting as we need a couple inside players.i believe we have 3 scholarships available if Moss remains committed.