Author Topic: Next coach  (Read 51329 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Next coach
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2017, 10:49:15 AM »
Pomona-Pitzer:   76–129 in 8 seasons.
Know what that is?  It's the head coaching experience of one Gregg Popovich before getting the head job with the Spurs!  You don't make silly artificial rules.  You interview the guy. Find out about his methods, goals, expectations etc. and hire the best person for the job.

What you guys are describing here is the same methodology that got us Slocum, Robic, Peters, Stroia and Cleamons.  How has that been working out for us?  Remember that definition of insanity: doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »
My gut feeling is Lombardi is Slocum 2.0 so no thanks. I would personally like someone younger.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »
My gut feeling is Lombardi is Slocum 2.0 so no thanks. I would personally like someone younger.
Yep, nothing like a public institution of higher learning violating a ton of state and federal laws as well as the US Constitution!   We need young guys, not the old (good grief he is mid 50s!) guys like Popovich and Belichick that are obviously too old to coach!
Let's hope the "powers that be" use their judgment and not follow a bunch of artificial rules!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2017, 12:11:34 PM »
First of all let's set the record straight on Popovich...his record stunk at Pomona and the only reason he got to San Antonio as an assistant was his past connection with Larry Brown who hired him when he needed a job...hung around and was their GM before he basically named  himself head coach ...YSU has tried 2 D1 assistant and 2 D2 successful head coaches..none has really worked out...what other options do we have? What else can we Do? Hire a successful D1 head coach? Explain how that happens..its all connections and I don't understand hearing Slocums recommendations ..why? So we can continue our losing pattern? I have a good idea..lets hire Popovicj so he can prove he can coach at the collegiate level...Akron rolled the dice on a tainted guy...lets hire Rice Jr and follow that pattern..we haven't tried that yet

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2017, 12:34:10 PM »
If we are letting Slocum dictate decisions on the new hire, I lose the little respect I have left for the athletic administration.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2017, 09:54:08 AM »
Strollo (and no one else) will hire the best candidate that he can for the resources available.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2017, 10:12:04 AM »
Your head is in the sand...strings pulled and favors owed are always in place...there are still people with say so that care about the program

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »
Your head is in the sand...strings pulled and favors owed are always in place...there are still people with say so that care about the program

Head is not in the sand, pulling strings is part of the process. The people that owe favors and have clout are the ones that get us a better candidate and hopefully improve resources. That does not change the fact that Strollo is going to make the hire with the best candidate that he can given resources.

Outside of Strollo, 90% of those involved will not be involved until Strollo has presented them with candidates. The other 10% are intimate with and respectful of Strollo.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:59:22 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »
I remember how they hired Slocum..they paraded guys in front of the media which I found kind of strange..i just hope a better grouping of candidates is interested this time around...and I don't know if that's a good way of going about it...i hope recruiting doesn't suffer...we need some kids to come in and help immediately...especially inside..the cupboard is bare

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2017, 10:54:26 AM »
Fairmont State advanced to the quarterfinals of the D2 tournament as the number 1 seed.  The D2 quarterfinals, semifinals, and championship game are all this week, ending on March 25.  If Calhoun is being pursued by us, or by CSU, expect some action in the search after the 25th.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »
Fairmont State advanced to the quarterfinals of the D2 tournament as the number 1 seed.  The D2 quarterfinals, semifinals, and championship game are all this week, ending on March 25.  If Calhoun is being pursued by us, or by CSU, expect some action in the search after the 25th.
I hope we are not competing against CSU. Since they do not have a football program, they probably have a much larger MBB budget. Do we know how much are they paying for their HC right now?

Offline BigDWSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2017, 02:01:15 PM »
CSU was paying Waters roughly 2x what you were paying Slocum.  It was something like 450K a year 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2017, 03:49:10 PM »
CSU was paying Waters roughly 2x what you were paying Slocum.  It was something like 450K a year
Thanks for the info. If YSU and CSU are going for the same guy, YSU Needs plan B and plan C. Does Wright State need a HC also? If yes, then YSU also needs plan D.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2017, 05:53:21 PM »
Timing and Luck are not on YSU's side. By bringing back Slocum last year will probably cost us Calhoun to CSU.  He would have been a perfect fit here.  It depends on CSU if they want the glamour hire or Calhoun.  The new AD has ties to many coaches at CSU,  while ours has really no network to lean on.  According to Dana Balash CSU wanted to cut back some on the coach salary I think they still owe waters money.  Let's see what we are left with.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:54 AM »
I'll leave this right here:

National Prep Hoops‏ @HoopReview  15h15 hours ago

I'm hearing Jarrod Calhoun is a lock for the Youngstown State job @YSUsports @YSUMensHoops

National Prep Hoops‏ @HoopReview  15h15 hours ago

Jermaine Kimbrough is the clear front runner ( internally )for the Cleveland State job. @CSUVikingsHoops @CSU_Athletics