Author Topic: Next coach  (Read 50791 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Next coach
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 11:30:22 PM »
This certainly is a dilemma.  Do we hire a young assistant who demonstrates great promise but might have to experience growing pains?  Or do we hire a retread who might win over half the games but then leave for a more lucrative job at the earliest opportunity?  I am torn but also realize that quick fixes do not always work very well in any occupation.

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2017, 08:07:16 AM »
Whats the expectation for the program? As is? Be in middle of pack in HOrizon and occassionally compete for championship? Be competitive for championship most years? How that question is answered determines how much is spent on a coach and who is gone after. 

Second, who are the comparables to YSU---FCS regional state universivties in low mid major basketball conferences.  HOw much do competitive basketball programs spend compared to YSU? Is YSU about the same? Above or significantly below them?

These are rhetorical questions mostly, but presumably the powers that be are asking them as they go forward. The answers should define the search not wish lists of coaches. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
SDSU and NDSU are obviously very competitive in FCS football. They both have been to the NCAA tournament 3 times in the last decade. Summit league is probably just about on par with the horizon league now. There is absolutely no reason YSU can't have a competitive basketball program with a chance to get into the tournament. This year was the first time we've even been in the conference tournament semi finals in awhile! It is mind blowing to me. You watch all these cinderella teams everywhere make the tournament. We can't sniff it...

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 10:03:05 AM »
Derrick Kellog let go at UMass...players highly upset...we better jump on him immediately to gauge his intetest...his record and recruiting ability doesn't seem to warrant his dismissal...somebody will get a good young coach...why not us?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
Whats the expectation for the program? As is? Be in middle of pack in HOrizon and occassionally compete for championship? Be competitive for championship most years? How that question is answered determines how much is spent on a coach and who is gone after. 

Second, who are the comparables to YSU---FCS regional state universivties in low mid major basketball conferences.  HOw much do competitive basketball programs spend compared to YSU? Is YSU about the same? Above or significantly below them?

These are rhetorical questions mostly, but presumably the powers that be are asking them as they go forward. The answers should define the search not wish lists of coaches.

I do not expect to win the league every year but now and then would be great. the league is not what it used to be, which is good for us. With our schedule I expect 20 plus wins
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:55:34 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 12:47:55 PM »
They need a coach that will teach them offense and DEFENSE.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 03:08:41 PM »
They need a coach that will teach them offense and DEFENSE.
And making FT.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »
Per Ryan Allison at WKBN:
I'm hearing YSU has serious interest in Akron assistant and Struthers grad Rick McFadden about their head coaching position.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2017, 03:54:49 PM »
Liked McFadden since the beginning. Get it done Strollo.

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2017, 10:00:56 PM »
I'm with The Chief.  He knows what's what.
Joe Cool

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
Coach from D2 Fairmont St I think is in play Calhoun is from Cleveland area
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2017, 07:29:52 PM »
Coach from D2 Fairmont St I think is in play Calhoun is from Cleveland area

I know nothing about the guy but I hope not. A D2 guy may be the best ever but I think that a D1 assistant would have a better understanding of the required talent for this level. 
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2017, 07:51:48 PM »
http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20170308

Read this article I would bite on this tireless recruiter has D1 experience.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2017, 11:10:38 PM »
WFMJ reported on their website today that they expect the salary for the new coach will be "more than $200k."  That is a substantial increase over what we paid Slocum, and it should help to attract better candidates.  That figure would still place us at or near the bottom of Horizon League coaching salaries.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2017, 07:22:52 AM »
Per Dan Hiner if the Vindy:
"Ball State assistant coach Danny Peters, son of former YSU men's bball coach Dan Peters, is a candidate for YSU's vacant head coach position"