Author Topic: Next coach  (Read 51152 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Next coach
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 11:23:52 PM »
I have been a season ticket holder since 1982.  I attended exactly two men's games this season.  Simply could not stand to watch my team play no defense whatsoever.  Since I became apathetic, I could just imagine the disinterest among casual fans.  This is the most important hire of the DI era.  Mess this hire up and we will have passed the point of no return.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 07:40:23 AM »
I like the article as well. However, Slocum was not a bad coach and we are going to be lucky to get someone of that caliber; so obviously a lot more than a new coach is needed at YSU. So what does everyone think it is? We don't need any bashing, this is a serious question.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 07:42:58 AM »
IAA, I don't get your disparaging comments regarding HS coaching.  Good coaches win wherever they coach.  Bad ones lose wherever they coach.   Many great college coaches have had success in HS and smaller colleges.  It is a GREAT hunting ground for a go getter!

I am sorry, but the jump from HS to DI college should be far, far too much to make. If not your program is in trouble.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 08:11:55 AM »
I like the article as well. However, Slocum was not a bad coach and we are going to be lucky to get someone of that caliber; so obviously a lot more than a new coach is needed at YSU. So what does everyone think it is? We don't need any bashing, this is a serious question.

A good coach does not lose more than 50% of his games. Facts are facts. We need a younger coach who can relate to these kids more and have a real passion for the community and for this program. Slocum looked and sounded like he'd rather be down in Florida on the beach.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 10:12:27 AM »
IAA, I don't get your disparaging comments regarding HS coaching.  Good coaches win wherever they coach.  Bad ones lose wherever they coach.   Many great college coaches have had success in HS and smaller colleges.  It is a GREAT hunting ground for a go getter!

I am sorry, but the jump from HS to DI college should be far, far too much to make. If not your program is in trouble.
And I continue to disagree.  A good coach wins at AAU all the way through the NBA. 
John Wooden whet from South Bend Central High to Indiana State University for one.  I think that worked out OK. 
Among others that started their coaching careers in High School:
John Beliein, Michigan
Tom Izzo, MSU
Steve Fisher San Diego State
Roy Williams, NC
Mark Few, Gonzaga
Get the right guy from a coaching standpoint and he can lean whatever else he needs as YSU.  You get a .500 coach from anywhere, even the NBA and put him at YSU and you know what you get?  A .500 record.  take a 20-2 high school coach and what do you get?  20-10 at YSU. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 10:28:51 AM »
At one time I thought this could've been a possibility..hire h.s. coach Brian Danilov when Dan Peters left...Brians passion for coach g was over the top and I honestly felt he could've sold snow to the Eskimos...i see he is now an asst at Westminster...im not saying to do this but back then....

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 11:33:20 AM »

A good coach does not lose more than 50% of his games. Facts are facts. We need a younger coach who can relate to these kids more and have a real passion for the community and for this program. Slocum looked and sounded like he'd rather be down in Florida on the beach.

So you are putting it all on the coaching hire? You know that we could hire Mickey mouse and will have an initial tick up in fan interest. However, if that is it, then we will be having the same conversation again in 3-4 years of no success. FYI players like our staff so I do not buy it. Slocum's attitude toward the media is what it is ...I don't care. Pelini's is far worse, but the media gives him slack because he wins. MBB's community involvement is strong. So again I ask what the university needs to do (besides the new HC) to make the program successful?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:55:31 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 02:32:58 PM »
 I would prefer someone in late 30's or 40's, still working their way up the ladder, rather than a coach who is established and older.  I think if you hire the right guy, he will be 3-6 years, and that is what you want.

He would build a program, and take a better job, that is the way it works.  Barnes won't be here forever, and Bob Boldon before him made a name for himself, and moved on.  Tressel was the exception, staying 15 years and all those championships.

Head coach at YSU is a move up the ladder.   I have heard that Ron Strollo wants head coaching experience, but I wouldn't eliminate all assistants.  I don't know if Rickey McFadden at Akron is the right fit, but based on experience and being at a winning program, I would think he deserves an interview.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 04:05:45 PM »
If Mike Rice Jr. is/or would be interested YSU needs to hire him.  YSU needs more than a shot in the arm they need to WIN now.  I know this comes with baggage but so do a lot of the other employees of this university.  Winning cures all right?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 04:25:19 PM »
If Mike Rice Jr. is/or would be interested YSU needs to hire him.  YSU needs more than a shot in the arm they need to WIN now.  I know this comes with baggage but so do a lot of the other employees of this university.  Winning cures all right?

No thanks. We have enough baggage with our president and football coach. Do not need anymore lol.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »
Mike can recruit his behind off...did great a Rob Morris recruiting kids to a little high school gym...itd be an ESPN story giving a guy a second chance...Akron went out on a limb for Dambrodt don't forget

ValleyTalk

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 08:45:35 PM »

No thanks. We have enough baggage with our president and football coach. Do not need anymore lol.
If you call Tattoogate and Pelini going off like many coaches baggage, what do you call Pitino, Sandusky, Baylor, etc???  ::)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:49:34 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 09:43:54 PM »

If you call Tattoogate and Pelini going off like many coaches baggage, what do you call Pitino, Sandusky, Baylor, etc???  ::)

Those programs are winners regardless. This men's basketball program is at its lowest point and can't afford any extra baggage.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 10:15:31 PM »

Those programs are winners regardless. This men's basketball program is at its lowest point and can't afford any extra baggage.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 10:40:28 PM »
The program cant afford ON THE JOB TRAINING.....  The program needs to overcome losing and cant afford 3 or 4 years ...  The sports world is instant gratification. I think the decision makers realize that and need to act accordingly....