Author Topic: Slocum Retiring  (Read 12709 times)

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Slocum Retiring
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 10:13:34 AM »
Let the speculation begin...As mentioned already Rick McFadden..Pat Beilein...
.and some of my own candidates...Jason Gee...Danny Peters...Marlon Williamson and although he would never leave Walsh ,Jeffy Young..
One more name that would never get a chance bit should get one Mike Rice Jr

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »
Bashing or praising Slocum is now irrelevant.  My attention is only on the search for the new coach.  Does anybody know if Strollo will use a search committee or handle the process himself, as he did with John Barnes? 

ytowngirl

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
Thank god.  Time to get a new young and motivated coach.  Basketball may not be a draw but losing like he did is unacceptable on any level.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 04:25:31 PM »
1 AA you know nothing about me, and I could care less where my name is on your site.  We should all be paid and get rewarded for results, not just tenure. 

You have yet to show any data or results that indicate their is any benchmark to show his 12 years was a success.  Please don't give me abstract, subjective BS; like the program is better off, and his kids graduate.  That is garbage.  What my employer wants to see is results, and if I don't produce, I will be unemployed, and that is the way it should be.  You sound like a liberal heart democrat.

His teams terrible on defense, he lost 68% of his game, 5-14 in the conference tournament.  Those are facts.

Yes and considering we have never had a winning DI program, those same figures can be taken out of just about any year. Obviously you do not know anything about coaching MBB at YSU. Slocum does, so simply respect it and if you cannot then it is your issue; so why drag it out because you want to bury someone and stomp on their grave? That is simply juvenile & my mother taught me to respect people. You should never be happy you lost a coach: 1. either they were good and wanted out, or they were not good to begin with. Both are a reflection on your program. This is not going to change with the next hire.

I know that people are going to say ...so what if we get a good coach and he leaves ...well I do not want that, I want the same coach until he retires. I want a guy who wants to be here. This is what we lost  and people simply cannot see that.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 05:08:27 PM »
The problem is nobody takes the YSU job with the idea of retiring there unless they are in their 50's ..and most in their 50's are rebounding from being fired or moving up a division to try their hand at D1...the real bottom line is 2 Sunni g season (barely) in 12 years isnt very good...infact not even mediocre....we need a coach that uses this job as a stepping stone to bigger jobs...thete isn't a thing wrong with that...this university can win with that formula because it has worked at countless places across the country

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 06:18:50 PM »
Heard Mount Union coach Mike Fuline mentioned as a candidate.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 07:46:47 PM »
I see where Cleveland St would to like contact Geno Ford or Chris Jent, and of course we want some D2 or 3 coach with limited or no D1 experience.  NICE!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 07:53:47 PM »
Ok so basically most everyone should be happy.

JS left on his own accord, his decision. 42 years is a long career in coaching so we can all understand that he felt it was time.

I heard that he will be honored at some point, that should satisfy others.

Others wanted a change and now there will be a change.

Time to move on.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 08:44:37 AM »
I see where Cleveland St would to like contact Geno Ford or Chris Jent, and of course we want some D2 or 3 coach with limited or no D1 experience.  NICE!!!
Not sure about Jent, but we have had great success with former buckeye stars as MBB HC!  Worst coach in the history of YSU was former OSU star.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »
Lets put some context to the comment about Jim Cleamons...First, he was hired in September right before the season started due to the death Dailey. Second, shortly after, the OVC kicked YSU out, so we had no league--death to recruiting.  He was coach for 18 months and left to become an assistant with the Chicago Bulls.  I dont know if he would have been good or bad. Worst thing that can be said about him is that he saw what was here, saw what was available and decided to leave. To not consider Jent or someone else because they are an OSU assistant is as silly as excluding anyone who was never a head coach. That being said, Dan Peters was the most successful coach during the past 30 years, and he left because the AD at the time, one Jim Tressel, would not support basketball.  Maybe some lessons have been learned.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 12:22:30 PM »
Thank you Jerry, and enjoy your retirement.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 12:31:46 PM »
Lets put some context to the comment about Jim Cleamons...First, he was hired in September right before the season started due to the death Dailey. Second, shortly after, the OVC kicked YSU out, so we had no league--death to recruiting.  He was coach for 18 months and left to become an assistant with the Chicago Bulls.  I dont know if he would have been good or bad. Worst thing that can be said about him is that he saw what was here, saw what was available and decided to leave. To not consider Jent or someone else because they are an OSU assistant is as silly as excluding anyone who was never a head coach. That being said, Dan Peters was the most successful coach during the past 30 years, and he left because the AD at the time, one Jim Tressel, would not support basketball.  Maybe some lessons have been learned.
When you say "worst coach in the history of YSU" you have no trouble knowing who I am referring to, do you?
My only response is 12-44 and his second year was worse than his first.  I loved him as a player, both at OSU and the Cavs, but hated him as a coach.  Some guys can only coach, some can only play, some can do both, some neither.  Cleamons was a play only guy.  Team was better the year before and better the year after.  It was Cleamons.
HOWEVER you are right, it is totally unfair to let that influence decision on Jent.  Name recognition couldn't hurt recruiting at least initially. 
I'm sure there are multiple opinions why Peters left.  It can also be noted that Peters has a losing record, while Mike Rice has a winning record and he was here 30 years ago, but most of his coaching was 30-35 years ago I hate to argue.  However, I don't give ”best” accolades to a guy with a losing record. 

Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!