Author Topic: Vindy: Zallow clinches another NCAA berth  (Read 6253 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Vindy: Zallow clinches another NCAA berth
« on: March 02, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »
By Charles Grove

cgrove@vindy.com

Youngstown State track and field athlete Chad Zallow has qualified for the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships for the second consecutive year.

The sophomore hurdler’s best time this year in the 60-meter hurdles is 7.61 seconds. That’s second-best in the country behind Florida’s Grant Holloway who ran a 7.58 on Feb. 10.

“It’s really exciting for the program,” YSU head coach Brian Gorby said. “It just shows the program is getting better. To send a freshman and now a sophomore to nationals back-to-back years is phenomenal.”

Last weekend Zallow won at the Horizon League Championships with a time of 7.61. That was better than Holloway’s second-place finish at the Southeastern Conference Championship meet at 7.64.

Six of the 16 national qualifiers in the event appear to be Zallow’s main competition. Along with Holloway, Michael Dickson (North Carolina A&T), Aaron Mallett (Iowa), Freddie Crittenden III (Syracuse) and David Kendziera (Illinois) have run times below 7.70 this year.

Zallow said he expects to win the national title.

“I’m not going to shoot for anything less,” Zallow said. “Everyone else is going to be gunning for the win so that’s what I’m going to be doing too.”

Last year, Zallow — a Warren JFK graduate — finished ninth while battling strep throat at the national meet with a time of 7.76. Ninth place was just enough to keep him out of qualifying for the final.

“No strep this year,” Zallow said. “I’m healthy right now and I’m feeling good.”

Last year the event was won by Oregon’s Devon Allen who ran a 7.56. Allen went on the finish fifth in the 110-meter hurdles at the Rio Olympics.

Gorby said after an off day after the conference meet, Zallow has gotten back to a full day of training and is focusing mainly on the final section of the event.

“He’s been focusing on the back end of it,” Gorby said. “Making sure he’s staying tall coming off of that last hurdle. He’s trained to peak at conference and nationals so he’s just trying to sharpen things right now.”

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Vindy: Zallow clinches another NCAA berth
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 06:34:11 PM »
Run Chad Run.  The meet is being streamed live on ESPN3, and the 60M hurdles is scheduled for 8.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »
Nice run. He finished first in his heat (#2) with a 7.65. The is the second fastest time over all. Galloway beat him with a 7.64 mark. Tomorrow at 5:10p is the final. Way to go Chad!!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 11:12:42 AM »
The announcers had good things to say about Chad and YSU.  Looked strong.  He led that heat from start to finish.  Chad and Holloway are in lanes 4 and 5.  Will be a great dual at 6:10 eastern.  ESPN3 is streaming it again.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:15:15 PM »
The announcers had good things to say about Chad and YSU.  Looked strong.  He led that heat from start to finish.  Chad and Holloway are in lanes 4 and 5.  Will be a great dual at 6:10 eastern.  ESPN3 is streaming it again.
I watched on ESPN3. He came in 3rd after hitting the second hurdle.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 10:57:18 PM by Double ET »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 03:24:23 PM »
I saw that, still finished very strong. Way to go Chad, you made us proud!!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »
Congratulations Chad; you and the track team plus Coach Gorby are giving YSU national recognition. Chad if you can catch a football, please think about being a wide receiver.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »
Congratulations Chad; you and the track team plus Coach Gorby are giving YSU national recognition. Chad if you can catch a football, please think about being a wide receiver.
check out his hudl video:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/1394599/chad-zallow
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
If you cannot catch a football, can you at least consider knocking it down.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:30:01 AM »
Thanks; "go guins". Chad can definitely catch a football, plus can play defense. It looks like he could be a big help to YSU football. Apparently his heart and aims are to track, what ever he decides, I'm glad he chose YSU.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »
Thanks; "go guins". Chad can definitely catch a football, plus can play defense. It looks like he could be a big help to YSU football. Apparently his heart and aims are to track, what ever he decides, I'm glad he chose YSU.
Truthfully, he should be the #1 indoor hurdler in USA next year.  He would not be #1 WR or DB, so I think he is making the right choice.  The plublicity for himself and YSU is better in track.  Besides, I'm sure he is thinking about Tokyo 2020!!  Can't go to the olympics in football!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »
Great job Chad.  If he doesn't hit that hurdle, it would have been a close finish.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »
Great job Chad.  If he doesn't hit that hurdle, it would have been a close finish.
The one thing I don't like about track.  You have one shot.  Get a little quick in the block, DONE.  Tick a hurdle, DONE, fumble a batton, DONE. step on somebody's foot, DONE.  Football, baseball, basketball you can make up for an error, not track!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »
Chad got off to a great start to the outdoor season this past Friday.  He currently has the top qualifying time in the 110 hurdles.