Author Topic: Late Surge Leads Penguins to 81-77 Win Over Northern Kentucky  (Read 8148 times)

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Late Surge Leads Penguins to 81-77 Win Over Northern Kentucky
« on: February 19, 2017, 08:56:46 AM »
The Youngstown State men's basketball team ended the contest on a 9-2 run in a come-from-behind 81-77 win over Northern Kentucky in the final home game of the season at the Beeghly Center on Saturday night.

The Penguins trailed 75-72 with 3:42 left in regulation before clamping down defensively and finding some offense at the right time.

Cameron Morse started the run with a basket at the 3:35 mark to make the contest 75-74. Following an offensive rebound by Devin Haygood of a Morse miss, Braun Hartfield's spin-o-rama layup gave the Guins a 76-75 lead with 2:31 left.

After a one-and-down possession by the Norse, Morse made hanging jumper from 13 feet and was fouled with exactly two minutes remaining. He converted the free throw to extend the YSU advantage to 79-75.

NKU pulled within 79-77 on two free throws by Mason Faulkner with a minute left. YSU milked the clock and Morse converted a short jumper with 35 seconds left in the contest. On the ensuing inbounds pass Francisco Santiago stole the NKU pass. The Norse missed four 3-pointers in the final 23 seconds as the Guins held on for the four-point win.

Morse led all scorers with 20 points, 16 of which came in the second half. Matt Donlan finished with 14 while Jordan Kaufman and Hartfield each had 12.

YSU shot 48.5 percent (33-of-68) from the field while committing just six turnovers. NKU shot 40.6 percent (28-of-69) from the field and went 5-of-30 (16.7) from beyond the 3-point arc.

The lead changed hands seven times in a close first half in which neither team led by more than four. YSU had a big scoring advantage in the paint, outscoring the Norse 30-10 in the opening 20 minutes.

Kaufman was 6-for-7 from the field and led all scorers with 12 points in 13 minutes in the first half.

NKU led by three on three occasions in the first five minutes, and the Norse led by four for the second time at 14-10 with 12:47 remaining. Santiago and Donlan hit back-to-back 3-pointers to give the Penguins their first lead of the night at 16-14, and the Penguins built a 26-22 lead on a Kaufman basket with 6:36 remaining in the half.

YSU held a four-point lead four more times before NKU went on a 5-0 run to go up 38-37 on a Dantez Walton bucket with 1:03 left. Kaufman's sixth field goal of the half put YSU back on top, and Santiago's layup in the final seconds gave the Penguins a 41-40 lead at halftime.

Donlan's 3 on YSU's first possession of the second half put the Penguins up 44-40, and YSU's lead was four again at 46-42 a minute later. Northern Kentucky scored 14 of the next 16 points to go up 56-48.

The Penguins are back in action on Tuesday night when they visit Oakland.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Late Surge Leads Penguins to 81-77 Win Over Northern Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
lol....I can't find the recap post for the previous five games....nothing since CSU back in January.....
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »
If we had a coach that knew defense, we'd have five to six more wins.  Same thing every season, win a few token games, and actually beat Akron, Wright St and GB this year to play completely inconsistent in January and February.  What a shame!

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:07:15 AM »
lol....I can't find the recap post for the previous five games....nothing since CSU back in January.....
There are considerably more recap posts on here than you have ever had posts with anything positive to say about YSU.

Nice win for the team on senior day.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:08:04 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
I listened to coach beat his chest on the radio after the game bragging how hard his kids played.  Where was that effortvtge last few weeks and months.  The guy is a D2 head coach. He was a good coach not a fantastic coach in D 2. It's time to end the Slocum era.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »
There are considerably more recap posts on here than you have ever had posts with anything positive to say about YSU.

For the ones that will transfer out in a few weeks, are they "honorary" seniors?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 12:08:48 PM »
I watched the game.

The sad part was that we missed 3 open/uncontested layups/dunks in the last couple minutes (6 points). We made 10/19 FT (52.6%) (9 points). If you take out CAM's FT (6/7), the rest of the team shot 4/12 (33.3%)
How many more games could we have won if we could shoot FT.

So, in Saturday's game, we left a potential 15 points (not counting missing several front end of 1 and 1) on the scoreboard.

Did they ever practice FT?

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 04:45:36 PM »

For the ones that will transfer out in a few weeks, are they "honorary" seniors?

Well let's see:

1. Seniors are not transferring out.
2. Those that are being honored are just that "honored seniors"

PS: This might be aimed toward 1990 ... Tressel never has to sign off on a coaching decision as he makes NONE. Although if Slocum was in administrator (as many HC's are) then he would be involved, but would probably defer. Even the decision to hire Pelini was Strollo's. "If" Slocum does leave and it is called a resignation, then that is what it is. Stop trying to make something out of nothing. Look how many people called Coach Heacock's leaving a dismissal ...when he said publicly (before the season) that he would leave if the team does not make the post-season. People just want to see things their own way.

Again to all. If this school let's a tenured head coach leave without honor, then they are dishonoring themselves and me.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 08:29:01 PM »

Well let's see:

PS: This might be aimed toward 1990 ... Tressel never has to sign off on a coaching decision as he makes NONE. Although if Slocum was in administrator (as many HC's are) then he would be involved, but would probably defer. Even the decision to hire Pelini was Strollo's. "If" Slocum does leave and it is called a resignation, then that is what it is. Stop trying to make something out of nothing. Look how many people called Coach Heacock's leaving a dismissal ...when he said publicly (before the season) that he would leave if the team does not make the post-season. People just want to see things their own way.

Again to all. If this school let's a tenured head coach leave without honor, then they are dishonoring themselves and me.

I guess that I am not sure what you mean by without honor. Please explain just what you think should be done.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 08:29:29 PM »

Well let's see:

I think your use of the word "tenured" (definition: "having or denoting a permanent post") is interesting, and in a perverse way, fitting.

I'll ask one more time and then I'll drop it.  Besides somehow not getting fired for 12 years, what specific achievement do you want to honor?  Or is this another participation trophy?

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 11:17:34 PM »

Well let's see:

I think your use of the word "tenured" (definition: "having or denoting a permanent post") is interesting, and in a perverse way, fitting.

I'll ask one more time and then I'll drop it.  Besides somehow not getting fired for 12 years, what specific achievement do you want to honor?  Or is this another participation trophy?

of course he is a coach, what else is there? Now keep your promise.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 11:39:09 AM »
Last night vs Oakland was pathetic.   2 more games until new hope begins

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 12:34:20 PM »
Last night vs Oakland was pathetic.   2 more games until new hope begins
It was pathetic ! I turned it off in the second half. They gave up almost 60 points in the second half.
A 20 minutes half is equal to 1200 seconds. If we just ran the 30 clock out for each possession and Oakland took 15 sec to shoot the ball. It will take 45 seconds. So, they will have (1200/45 = 26.7) possessions. 26.7 possessions * 2 points/possession = 53.3 points. They scored 59.

I know this is an over simplification since there are some 3 point shots and FT involved. However, it just illustrated that Oakland had to score almost for each possession. We must have a hell of a defense.